RIAT 2018 discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
MiG_Eater

Re: RIAT 2018 discussion

Post by MiG_Eater »

To my credit, I actually checked the Il-78 wikipedia page and it does show Ukraine as an operator. Out of date i'm presuming?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-78

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Is that an F/A-18B? I’d be well chuffed with that!

I suppose if we're being pedantic (you asked!), it'd be what, a CF-18B, or more properly a CF-188B? Either are correct apparently, but the "188" is, supposedly the "official military designation" whatever difference that makes.

Eh, the display jet looks nice, but twin-sticks, guys. Can't say no to twin-sticks. :love: :up:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Tommy wrote:Heh...and to swiftly stop the said rumour mill:

A quick wikipedia search will tell you that the Ukrainians don't have any Il-78s. Nor, I think, any aircraft with an air-to-air refuelling role.

I thought that they dismantled the refuelling pods on most Il-78s, but still had a couple that were capable of air to air refuelling, but might be wrong.
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

MiG_Eater wrote:OK, time to start the rumour mill...

Just noticed the RIAT update wording regarding Ukraine:

"It's official. The Ukrainian Air Force have confirmed their attendance at RIAT 2018 with an Su-27P flying display, accompanied by an Su-27UB and IL-76 tanker on static!"

IL-76 *tanker*... either this is a mistake, or perhaps - just maybe - it's an IL-78 that's going to be dragging some Fencers or Frogfoots over...

Not sure how it'd drag Frogfoots over since they can't in-flight refuel
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:Heh...and to swiftly stop the said rumour mill:

A quick wikipedia search will tell you that the Ukrainians don't have any Il-78s. Nor, I think, any aircraft with an air-to-air refuelling role.

Cough,
http://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/airliners/8/1/0/0971018.jpg?v=v40
Cough
:whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wissam24 wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:OK, time to start the rumour mill...

Just noticed the RIAT update wording regarding Ukraine:

"It's official. The Ukrainian Air Force have confirmed their attendance at RIAT 2018 with an Su-27P flying display, accompanied by an Su-27UB and IL-76 tanker on static!"

IL-76 *tanker*... either this is a mistake, or perhaps - just maybe - it's an IL-78 that's going to be dragging some Fencers or Frogfoots over...

Not sure how it'd drag Frogfoots over since they can't in-flight refuel

Fair point... no problem though - it's guaranteed Fencers now! :dizzy:

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Tommy wrote:
Gripenjetphotos wrote:

I suppose if we're being pedantic (you asked!), it'd be what, a CF-18B, or more properly a CF-188B? Either are correct apparently, but the "188" is, supposedly the "official military designation" whatever difference that makes.

Eh, the display jet looks nice, but twin-sticks, guys. Can't say no to twin-sticks. :love: :up:

I suppose I did ask for it! Would be nice to see a classic twin seat Hornet, makes it a little different from the Swiss and Finnish ones in terms of looks (apart from the colour scheme). I think the last time we had a two seat Hornet (not the Super) was 2014 with a Spanish example on static. I haven’t seen one in the flying display yet!
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

MiG_Eater wrote:To my credit, I actually checked the Il-78 wikipedia page and it does show Ukraine as an operator. Out of date i'm presuming?

Oh, maybe, that's correct, then. Though I can't recall ever having seen a Ukrainian Il-78 in recent times (that doesn't mean that there aren't any!)

Well, we'll find another route, then - the RIAT "Confirmed Aircraft" page lists an Il-76, in both the bleurb and the main page itself:

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/aircr ... orce-il-76

What I'm trying to say is that "rumour mills" are great, but to start them there has to be a few crumbs of truth and/or legitimacy. Not just what we "hope". In the same way people saying "I reckon X, Y, and Z will be confirmed on Thursday", when they really mean "I hope". There is often no basis for the "reckon". Even if it wasn't just a Twitter typo, there's nothing saying that an Il-78, even if they have them, will drag anything across.

If some weird obscure local Ukrainian newspaper reported it, then *that's* how to start a rumour mill. Per last year. :up:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I thought they'd sold on all of the -78s they still had left.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Wissam24 wrote:I thought they'd sold on all of the -78s they still had left.

They sold 4 to the Pakistan Air Force, but on Wikipedia they are listed as having 8. Putting two and two together, them having removed the AAR system on most of them means they either have at most one, or they have none.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Wikipedia is notoriously bad for accurate aircraft numbers though.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

MiG_Eater wrote:To my credit, I actually checked the Il-78 wikipedia page and it does show Ukraine as an operator. Out of date i'm presuming?

The source Wiki uses footnotes at no.17. If you follow that as the source, it says at 2005 they had 18, but none were recorded in 2010, 2014, or 2015 (assuming hyphens are out of service and "..." are "unknown"). https://www.globalsecurity.org/military ... ipment.htm

How reliable that source is, I don't know. It seems it's out of date.

The Pakistan sale was notes, though I thought one or two went to Algeria didn't they?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

I love aircraft discussions like this, instead of arguments :lol:

whether they have any Midas’s is service (I doubt they do to be honest) is anyone’s guess, but at the end of the day we’re getting a Candid as things stand. And even if we was getting a tanker to “drag some Fencers over” DBH have said they don’t hold announcements back.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

boff180 wrote:The RCAF Hornet demo bird is quite badly broken and it is unknown as to when it will be flying again.

At the moment, a special tailed two-seater is being used as the stand-in display bird.

Which one we will get is now a mystery!

Not sure where you got "quite badly broken" Andy - here's the CF-18 Team's reply to a question in the video linked earlier in the thread:
It was completely minor but we wanted to get to North Bay to get our practice in yesterday. Our regular jet is back serviceable and we will head back to get it tomorrow. Cheers
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

CJS

Post by CJS »

Wissam24 wrote:Wikipedia is notoriously bad for accurate aircraft numbers though.

It's notoriously bad for accurate anything.

As for the Frogfoots,I suppose they could literally drag them over...
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

CJS wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Wikipedia is notoriously bad for accurate aircraft numbers though.

It's notoriously bad for accurate anything.

As for the Frogfoots,I suppose they could literally drag them over...

Can't they just 'hop' over? I understand they haven't got the range to do it in one big 'leap'.

If they do come, I bet there will be a few people who say 'I toad ya so!'
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

vulcanshammer wrote:

Fair point, but that "I told you so" would be based on nothing, though, so no-one would care.

If I said "I reckon" (despite really meaning "I hope") that every single aircraft in the world would attend, I could tell everyone I told them so about the certain ones that do attend. But y'all would, rightly, tell me to go and sit back on my box and think about what a tool I am. :grin:

Despite it being pretty common, I don't think people really get to say "I told you so" just because they hoped/guessed the right side of the coin.

But more importantly than all of that? We would *all* be thrilled at the prospect. I wouldn't care one iota about being "told so". I'd just be over the moon with the news!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Looking at RIAT Air traffic twitter its a IL76M
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Tommy wrote:
vulcanshammer wrote:

Fair point, but that "I told you so" would be based on nothing, though, so no-one would care.

If I said "I reckon" (despite really meaning "I hope") that every single aircraft in the world would attend, I could tell everyone I told them so about the certain ones that do attend. But y'all would, rightly, tell me to go and sit back on my box and think about what a tool I am. :grin:

Despite it being pretty common, I don't think people really get to say "I told you so" just because they hoped/guessed the right side of the coin.

But more importantly than all of that? We would *all* be thrilled at the prospect. I wouldn't care one iota about being "told so". I'd just be over the moon with the news!

You seem to be rather 'Newt' to this pun game Tommy!
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Oh my god. Pie in the face. :tumbleweed:

I really will have to go sit on my box, now. :oops:

Erm... Pond puns. Right. Erm...

Just wait till Caper gets here. 'eel be having a lot of fun with this one.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Tommy wrote:Oh my god. Pie in the face. :tumbleweed:

I really will have to go sit on my box, now. :oops:

Erm... Pond puns. Right. Erm...

Just wait till Caper gets here. 'eel be having a lot of fun with this one.

Not this again. I hate these puns. They’re a Tadpole repetitive. :tongue:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Tommy wrote:
Gripenjetphotos wrote:

I don’t think we have any two seater special tails (could be wrong though). We don’t actually use our rear seats except for training purposes.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Go4Long wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Gripenjetphotos wrote:

I don’t think we have any two seater special tails (could be wrong though). We don’t actually use our rear seats except for training purposes.

There is a link to the special tail Hornet in the previous page.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Tommy wrote:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/CF18Demo/status/1006883520818679814[/tweet]

Judging by this you do.
Not as good as the NORAD 60 but still miles better than the RAFs effort.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I am indeed wrong. It is a two seat special.