More Golden Years

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
dreamworker

More Golden Years

Post by dreamworker »

Don bullock climbing out of the valley in the Euroworld A26 at Biggin Hill in May 1979. As we all know, the following the year , the same stunt ended in disaster.
ImageA26 Biggin Hill 1979 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageWessex Mildenhall 1986 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageVulcan and Anson shuttleworth October 2015 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageVoodoo Alconbury 1985 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageTristar Heathrow 1986 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageRed Arrows Hawk 1984 Bournemouth by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageLVG CVI Shuttleworth 1988 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageLightning Mildenhall 1986 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageBA 747 Heathrow 1986 by John Chase, on Flickr
Last edited by dreamworker on Thu 05 Jul 2018, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Re: More Golden Years

Post by tankbuster81 »

Wow! I remember so many aircraft, that used to dive down into the valley, and was present on the fateful day in 1980.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

tankbuster81 wrote:Wow! I remember so many aircraft, that used to dive down into the valley, and was present on the fateful day in 1980.

Same here. Sadly Don Bullock seems to have had a bit of a screw loose.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

AlexC wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:Wow! I remember so many aircraft, that used to dive down into the valley, and was present on the fateful day in 1980.

Same here. Sadly Don Bullock seems to have had a bit of a screw loose.

A comment often echoed in retrospect, including much more detrimental descriptions! :wink: However, to see him fly was outrageously exciting all the time it worked-out?
He appeared to be always building for a fall, but did we stay away? Were we wrapped in reflective Kevlar two miles distant? NO!

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

yes, I'd say it was mildly nerve racking.....as was Stefan Karwowski in the Bearcat. I've got colour slides of Bullock taxiing out for that last fateful flight in 1980 , which i will post soon. I was in the ATC in 1979 and we were lucky enough to be sitting on the grass directly next to the end of the runway at Biggin for the September show when bullock took off in the B17, must admit i was terrified, but yes we wanted more.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Great shot. I remember the 1980 disaster only too well. Remember seeing Don fly the B-17 so low it would have made a Buccaneer crew envious. In retrospect his flying was bonkers but by golly it was exciting.