Typhoon 2015 Display Question

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Unknown74

Typhoon 2015 Display Question

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi guys and gals, I attended 3 Airshows in 2015, Sunderland, Ayr/ Prestwick and September Duxford BoB Display and all 3 the Typhoon used was GiNA although the Duxford Display was the Spitfire/ Typhoon Duo, GiNA flew the displays at Sunderland and Ayr and I was under the impression it was the Red Tailed 29 special Typhoon was the display Aircraft, was there something wrong with the red tailed Aircraft or was it as I discovered really the spare as it was at Sunderland(Newcastle) and Prestwick?

XX752

Re: Typhoon 2015 Display Question

Post by XX752 »

The 2015 solo display aircraft was ZK353 'BQ' the Red tailed 29 squadron aircraft, however ZK349 (GN-A) the camouflage jet was used on a number of occasions as the solo display aircraft, it's principle use was intended to be as the synchro display aircraft, flown by Flt Lt Westonby Brooks with a Spitifre from the BBMF. It certainly appeared in a truncated display at the Duxford September Battle of Britain on the Saturday with the Spitfire, and also displayed at Abingdon, RIAT, Biggin Hill, Dunsfold and the LLA day at Coningsby as the Synchro.

At Cosford GN-A went tech and ZK353 was used for both the solo and the synchro displays.

At the Duxford May show ZK349 was used as the solo on the Saturday and ZK353 was used on the Sunday.

ZK349 was also used as a solo a few times for some seafront airshows on the south coast, I do not have the exact info to hand.

vandal

Post by vandal »

GN-A was the airframe used at East Fortune in 2015, same day as Sunderland. As an aside, in 2014 for the Armed Forces Day at Stirling, I'm sure it was the D-Day stripes Typhoon (ZK308)? that performed.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Hi Vandal, I was at the Armed Forces Day 2014 in Stirling and must say I was a little surprised to see the D-Day striped Typhoon would have loved to see the Display Aircraft with the special Tail which I never saw, I was at East Fortune in 2014 but had to leave early due to a small transport issue and unfortunately missed the Typhoon which I believe was the actual Display Marked Aircraft.

As for 2015, was informed by a Typhoon Team member they had a problem with the Red Tail Aircraft and had to use GiNA, notice both were used as Display Aircraft and Spare Display Aircraft for the entire season if I heard correctly.

vandal

Post by vandal »

With the amount of airshows / flypasts we now have in Scotland, I was grateful to have seen any of the specials. Even now, one of those sporting the RAF 100 decal seems appealing...….. :hide: :grin:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Don't forget we no longer have an Airshow with a Static Display in Scotland either.