Female Sparrowhawk

Female Sparrowhawk

Postby aceyone on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:19 am

Image

Image

Image

cooling off
Image

thanks for looking
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
User avatar
aceyone

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

One of my favourite raptors, although pretty much love all raptors :smile:

Fabulous photos. Occasionally get a Sparrowhawk land on our fence, but never sticks around long enough for a photo, well jel :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 3:29 pm

Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?
FarnboroJohn

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby aceyone on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 3:59 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?


Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
User avatar
aceyone

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby FarnboroJohn on Tue 26 Jun 2018, 5:02 pm

aceyone wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?


Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:


They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.
FarnboroJohn

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby AlexC on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 1:49 pm

Saw one perched on the feeding station a few days ago. Needless to say, all the garden birds were nowhere to be seen for quite some time after she flew off.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Postby aceyone on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 2:01 pm

FarnboroJohn wrote:
aceyone wrote:
FarnboroJohn wrote:Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?


Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:


They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.


I was a bit confused myself, here the slightly smaller male is on the right

Image

and if that doesn't convince you then :butt: :grin:

Image

that should :lol:
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
User avatar
aceyone


Return to General Photography

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MUSTANG and 5 guests