Most influential aircraft company?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
CJS

Re: Most influential aircraft company?

Post by CJS »

verreli wrote:
Puddlejumper wrote:
verreli wrote:Sir George Cayley - Yorkshireman - Father of aviation. Taught the Wright Brothers all they knew...

Definitely earlier, and acknowledged by the Wrights as influential, but not a manufacturer, a serial builder of prototypes, and I don't believe he ever established a Company. Doesn't fit the question, so can't be the answer. :biggrin:

Alas, you are right. If ever there was a case of someone being born ahead of his time, he is it. If he'd been born a mere 60 years later, Yorkshire would have been the location for the first powered controlled flight and who knows what would have progressed from there.

Cue a :dizzy: array of mildly offensive Yorkshireman jokes.. :grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

verreli

Post by verreli »

I say what I like and I like what I say... - Harry Enfield

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Sopwith, although he probably counts as one of the most influential people in aviation, but he touched:

Tabloid, Pup, Camel, Snipe, Woodcock, Gauntlett, Gladiator, Fury, Hart, Lancaster, Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest, Sea Fury, Sea Hawk, Hunter, Hawk, Harrier and a huge amount more, and he was the basis of what became BAe.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

melvyn hiscock wrote:..... and he was the basis of what became BAe.

oooooh that's controversial. A one of the bases, rather than the basis, definitely, but De Havilland, Avro, and many others stand as the foundation for BAe too. Sorry, has to be said!

melvyn hiscock

Post by melvyn hiscock »

Look at who was on their boards of Directors!

BriLlo

Post by BriLlo »

A vote for Bristol.
World's first real aircraft producer - Boxkite series production
First organised flying schools in UK (Brooklands & Larkhill)
First (and only successful) British monoplane fighter in WW1 (M.1)
Bristol Scout - hugely influential early fighter - the inspiration for the Sopwith Pup
Bristol Fighter, hugely successful in WW1, and mainstay of the RAF for many years - policing the Empire : )
Bristol Bulldog
World altitude record breaking Type 138
Britain First, 'executive' aircraft that was faster than RAF's contemporary fighter aircraft, that led to the Blenheim
Beaufort, Beaufighter, hugely successful in all theatres of WWll.
Three influential (if not entirely successful) post-war airliners (Brabazon, Britannia & Freighter)
Pioneering and revolutionary helicopters (Sycamore and 173/Belvedere)
Concord, with a bit of help (and hindrance) from the French
PLUS
all the above powered by Bristol engines - some of the most successful and pioneering aero engines produced in the UK, (Jupiter, Perseus, Mercury, Taurus, Hercules, Centaurus, Proteus, Orpheus, Olympus (Vulcan & Concorde) and Pegasus, off the top of my head), giving Rolls-Royce a run for their money, and keeping them honest ;)
Bloodhound and Thuderbird ground-to-air missiles.
Oh yes, and my dad worked there : )
Not too shabby, though I'll settle for most influential in the UK, up to the Government's merging of the UK industry.

spotterwilliam

Post by spotterwilliam »

Douglas Aircraft Company / McDonnell Douglas got my vote:

DC series
MD series

F-4 :cool:

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

melvyn hiscock wrote:Sopwith, although he probably counts as one of the most influential people in aviation, but he touched:

Tabloid, Pup, Camel, Snipe, Woodcock, Gauntlett, Gladiator, Fury, Hart, Lancaster, Hurricane, Typhoon, Tempest, Sea Fury, Sea Hawk, Hunter, Hawk, Harrier and a huge amount more, and he was the basis of what became BAe.

well along with Sopwith also came Blackburn and they haven't even had a mention. But for me if we are looking at home produced it has to be de Havilland