Post by aceyone »

cooling off

thanks for looking
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Airwolfhound

Re: Female Sparrowhawk

Post by Airwolfhound »

One of my favourite raptors, although pretty much love all raptors :smile:

Fabulous photos. Occasionally get a Sparrowhawk land on our fence, but never sticks around long enough for a photo, well jel :clap:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Envious of the views and pix!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

FarnboroJohn wrote:Envious of the views and pics!

There's quite a lot of rufous on the face and the flank barring. How certain are you of the female status?

Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

aceyone wrote:

Thanks,definitely female , the male visited several times with food but I couldn't get a decent pic :sad:

They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Saw one perched on the feeding station a few days ago. Needless to say, all the garden birds were nowhere to be seen for quite some time after she flew off.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
aceyone wrote:

They are very quick. I suspect they are a bit nervous of their mates, which after all are comfortably large enough to predate them - and have been known to, though not within a stable relationship. :grin:

Interesting plumage. I shall have to be a bit more reticent about sexing Sparrowhawks on that feature.

I was a bit confused myself, here the slightly smaller male is on the right

and if that doesn't convince you then :butt: :grin:

that should :lol: