Stoat v Water vole Family

Stoat v Water vole Family

Postby helired3 on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 6:37 pm

on one i my recent trips to R.S.P.B. Fowlmere i was sat in one of the hides when what look like an adult stoat and one of its young found and dispatched a family of Water Voles in about 40 mins.
i managed to get a few photos.

ImageStoat Adult by ian harris, on Flickr

ImageStoat ? Kit by ian harris, on Flickr

ImageStoat with Water Vole 3 by ian harris, on Flickr

ImageStoat with Water Vole 2 by ian harris, on Flickr

ImageStoat with Water Vole 1 by ian harris, on Flickr

Thanks for looking
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Re: Stoat v Water vole Family

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 27 Jun 2018, 8:29 pm

Great behaviour photos. Love the one standing on its hind legs, they never do that for me!
FarnboroJohn

Postby iainpeden on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 8:01 am

Having been brought up with "Tales of the Riverbank", these made me wince.
iainpeden

Postby Airwolfhound on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm

Superb shots, not often you get that kind of action around Fowlmere, especially this time of year (or at least I haven't witnessed it lol).

Great set mate :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby capercaillie on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 12:13 pm

Great shots, at least its a native predator, so natural to see. :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby AlexC on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 5:15 pm

Not easy to look at, but at least it's not a mink doing the damage.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby FarnboroJohn on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

There's a fair old collection of ticks on that Stoat's right ear: its not easy being a Stoat either - a square meal now and then is a treat.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby helired3 on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

Thanks for the comments Guys. they don't hang about moving them its the first time i have seen one carry off a kill.
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/133062485@N05/

Nikon D750
Nikon D7200
Sigma 500 F4.5
Tamron 150-600 G2
helired3

Postby FarnboroJohn on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:11 pm

helired3 wrote:Thanks for the comments Guys. they don't hang about moving them its the first time i have seen one carry off a kill.

Stoats are very powerful animals, I've frequently seen dead rabbits apparently crossing open ground under their own steam only to find there is a Stoat on the far side half lifting, half dragging them.

That said, I've seen as many photos of Rabbits chasing Stoats as I have Stoats chasing Rabbits: and an infuriated Rabbit delivering a kick (at full speed) that bowls the Stoat over several times is impressive. I can't imagine a Water Vole causes the same level of difficulty for the Stoat. The thing that does read across is harvesting: having found a nest of young Rabbits (or, apparently, Water Voles) a Stoat will return again and again till its had the lot.
FarnboroJohn

Postby verreli on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 2:20 pm

How did the stoat get access to the water voles? I thought that water voles spent their outdoor life in water and their burrow was accessed underwater.
verreli

Postby capercaillie on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 2:24 pm

verreli wrote:How did the stoat get access to the water voles? I thought that water voles spent their outdoor life in water and their burrow was accessed underwater.

Its a water vole not a beaver, they spend very little time in the water. The use water channels and passages to move from one feeding area to another, much on some water side vegetation and back to the burrow. Stoats are very adept at getting into all kinds of small tunnels and holes or just catching a vole out of its hole.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Tuckat on Wed 04 Jul 2018, 3:14 pm

Wow. Well caught, difficult to look at, but as was said previously, that's nature.

Many thanks for taking the time to share.
I must have been keen on her...………… I took her to see India...……………... at The Oval
Tuckat

Return to General Photography