World Cup Final

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
alzoturtz

World Cup Final

Post by alzoturtz »

Not being shown at RIAT. Confirmed on Twitter. Disappointing if England make it.

Costar1198

Re: World Cup Final

Post by Costar1198 »

I'm quite happy about that to be honest, allows for the pure atmosphere of RIAT, with the thundering sound of jet fighters, and european pop music blasting out the speakers during most displays, it's a place where many could do without the occasional "WAHEY" of people watching the football every time someone scores.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Costar1198 wrote:I'm quite happy about that to be honest, allows for the pure atmosphere of RIAT, with the thundering sound of jet fighters, and european pop music blasting out the speakers during most displays, it's a place where many could do without the occasional "WAHEY" of people watching the football every time someone scores.

+1.

neilos

Post by neilos »

May get shot down for this, but, you go to an airshow to watch aircraft, not to watch a footie match, regardless if it’s a World Cup final.

Just a shame Legends haven’t taken a leaf out of RIAT’s book!

Costar1198

Post by Costar1198 »

neilos wrote:May get shot down for this, but, you go to an airshow to watch aircraft, not to watch a footie match, regardless if it’s a World Cup final.

Atleast it's in a hangar I guess, although those cheers could still drown out a Corsair...

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

neilos wrote:you go to an airshow to watch aircraft, not to watch a footie match, regardless if it’s a World Cup final.!

Most people probably go to an airshow because it's a day out with the family...

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

neilos wrote:May get shot down for this, but, you go to an airshow to watch aircraft, not to watch a footie match, regardless if it’s a World Cup final.

Not going to shoot you down..but its not just any old match is it..

Folk will be on their phones watching iplayer if they want to watch it..
I get why they are not showing it. But I'd bet it would be well attended if they did.
Also, with these Cancelled aircraft starting to add up I dare say the flying schedule might be a tad thin. So it would be a good way of distracting folk.

But anyway, There'sa semi final to play first...

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

Acting as devils advocate here (I honestly couldn't give two hoots either way)... but to be fair, RIAT lowered my enjoyment of the show during certain years with tyre squealing Caterhams and some guy MC'ing 'action sports' for 7 hours. Ironically, the men flying the displays and their crews will be huddled around the TV screen if we make the final :lol:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Blimey its a World Cup final Lads!! Nuts. I'll be camped up in a Pub not Supporting France Sunday!!

EditL I'll be Watchmaking the Hurling instead, The final does not look too appetisung.
Last edited by Georgeconna on Wed 11 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Airshows always have other attractions, and I think (assuming they win tonight) England playing in a WC Final for the first time in 52 years is of more importance to many more people than the likes of Robot Wars, Alexandra Burke, Caterham cars, or any of the other sideshow attractions RIAT have had in the past. It's their shout obviously, but if England do make it, many people will leave early or not go at all, meaning less revenue inside the base. Seemingly plenty on here couldn't care less, but I'm sure many people with Sunday tickets have other interests beyond aviation.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

+1

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Don’t think it will be an issue...

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Oh well...

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Panic over. Airshow duties resume.

2e1var

Post by 2e1var »

I've been totally amazed at the negativity to the questions about the world cup being shown, more so on various Facebook groups I must say. I'm not really a footy fan but have been totally gripped by England's run. How can a big screen away from the crowd line possibly affect your enjoyment if you aren't interested ? Had we made the final it would have been a once in a lifetime opportunity for many and tickets for RIAT would have been booked before anyone had the slightest thoughts about England being in the final, the match would have started towards the end of the displays anyway. Live and let live ?
Anyway it's all over now so we can get on with an airshow !

Rich
UBC-15X, 800XLT, 3500XLT, VT-225, Pro-2006, Pro-2042, IC-7300, IC-7100, Airspy R2
Sony a58, Sony 70-300G

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

[quote="
Anyway it's all over now so we can get on with an airshow !

Rich[/quote]

Looking forward to it.

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

Georgeconna wrote: I'll be camped up in a Pub not Supporting France Sunday!!

EditL I'll be Watchmaking the Hurling instead

France's unappealing football combined with one too many pints can have that effect.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Which cap shall I wear on Saturday and/or Sunday?
A very faded Frecce one, the (Belgian) NTM2016 one or the day-glo orange French Rafale cap given out at Sanicole - or the Classic Wings Tiger Moth one.

Decisions, decisions.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)