Travelodge LHR Central

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Roughcutter

Travelodge LHR Central

Post by Roughcutter »

In a couple of weeks I will be returning to LHR from Poland. Because my arrival will be late I decided to book a room at Travelodge (LHR Central), which is on Bath Road, Hounslow. Daft question - judging by it's close proximity to Heathrow, does this motel offer decent views of the airport or the approach (saying daft because I'm really into military), just something to look at while I'm there. :smile:

JohnH

Re: Travelodge LHR Central

Post by JohnH »

If it's the one on the Bath Road in Cranford a couple of miles from the airport you will certainly be able to see the aircraft on short final. 27R approaches will pass right over the hotel at about 400 ft. Not having stayed at the hotel but knowing how it's position, at a guess, I'd say you would want a room facing away from the Bath Road. That way you would see 27R arrivals almost on top of you and 27L arrivals slightly further away.

You mention a couple of weeks time. In that case in 2 weeks, as long as they stay on westerly's they should be 27R in the mornings and 27L from 1500 in the afternoons. If they're on 09s they'll go over the hotel somewhere between 1500 to 2000 ft. Try phoning the hotel an requesting a room that gives a view of the aircraft. I find that helps a lot when booking hotels near airports. Most hotels will try to accommodate.

Hopefully some of this will be of use

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Cheers John, much appreciated. Interestingly it would be good if some airport hotels could offer a rooftop service - like the Emantina used to do at Athens in the 1980's. Ever remember that? :smile:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Not the Travelodge but for future reference, this is taken from the 7th floor of the Hilton Garden Inn (I think it it used to be the Jury's Inn)

The threshold of 27L is at the left centre of the photo.

Image20180719_060604 by dereknferguson, on Flickr
Last edited by DerekF on Fri 10 Aug 2018, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

I haven't stayed in the Travelodge, but I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Bath Road twice, and there has a patio out the back with tables and parasols and across the car park there is a raised area with benches for you to sit at.

So as you walk in the front door, continue straight through, to your right is a Costa that does excellent Cumberland sausage with sweet onion chutney along with a brew :drool: or if you continue another few yards there is a bar on the left, where you can get a pint and take it out through the rear door, sit out under the parasol with it and have a sip in between the arrivals, most civilised! :grin:

A 100 - 400mm lens is perfect for the location.

Hope that helps :smile:

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Roughcutter wrote:Cheers John, much appreciated. Interestingly it would be good if some airport hotels could offer a rooftop service - like the Emantina used to do at Athens in the 1980's. Ever remember that? :smile:

There was a period in the past where the hotels that border the runways at Heathrow, offered discounted weekend rates for spotters, (I think it was to get income from rooms that were normally used during the week for business travellers), and you could get up on the roofs. It was stopped for that good old scare tactic, "security reasons".
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

toom317 wrote:It was stopped for that good old scare tactic, "security reasons".

There is a certain hotel where you didn't need to be hotel guest to use their terrace, but that has been stopped due to the inconsiderate and downright rude attitude of some spotters towards staff and other guests. If you have a room however, the terrace is still available to you to use.

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Yep, I remember the old Emmantina well. Stayed there on many an occasion. It was sad to hear poor old George the daytime barman died of cancer a few years ago. The hotel is still there, just no airport down the road anymore. They were thinking of running a bus shuttle to the new airport when it opened but nothing ever came of it.

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

toom317 wrote:
Roughcutter wrote:Cheers John, much appreciated. Interestingly it would be good if some airport hotels could offer a rooftop service - like the Emantina used to do at Athens in the 1980's. Ever remember that? :smile:

There was a period in the past where the hotels that border the runways at Heathrow, offered discounted weekend rates for spotters, (I think it was to get income from rooms that were normally used during the week for business travellers), and you could get up on the roofs. It was stopped for that good old scare tactic, "security reasons".

Re scare tactics at the time there may have been intelligence that influenced the closure of the roofs.....just because you consider it a scare tactic doesn't mean it was

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Red Dragon wrote:I haven't stayed in the Travelodge, but I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Bath Road twice, and there has a patio out the back with tables and parasols and across the car park there is a raised area with benches for you to sit at.

So as you walk in the front door, continue straight through, to your right is a Costa that does excellent Cumberland sausage with sweet onion chutney along with a brew :drool: or if you continue another few yards there is a bar on the left, where you can get a pint and take it out through the rear door, sit out under the parasol with it and have a sip in between the arrivals, most civilised! :grin:

I'm sold! Think I'll amble over there for me brekkie then :biggrin:

:smile:
JohnH wrote:Yep, I remember the old Emmantina well. Stayed there on many an occasion. It was sad to hear poor old George the daytime barman died of cancer a few years ago. The hotel is still there, just no airport down the road anymore. They were thinking of running a bus shuttle to the new airport when it opened but nothing ever came of it.

Legend.... and also one of my great regrets, used to regularly see the advert in Aircraft Illustrated classified section (or was it Aviation News), always said I would go there but somehow never quite got around to it, heyho

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Roughcutter wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:I haven't stayed in the Travelodge, but I have stayed at the Premier Inn on Bath Road twice, and there has a patio out the back with tables and parasols and across the car park there is a raised area with benches for you to sit at.

I'm sold! Think I'll amble over there for me brekkie then :biggrin:

No worries, glad to help, I'm hoping to be back there for a few days in September, If I can get the time off work!

Anyinct

Post by Anyinct »

thanks guys for the answers on buy steroids with credit card. really appreciating it a lot. i used to think that i won't see anything the last time when i thought about going there and so i refused. thanks for *opening my eyes*. may i ask about other locations?
Last edited by Anyinct on Tue 22 Jan 2019, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Anyinct wrote:thanks guys for the answers. really appreciating it a lot. i used to think that i won't see anything the last time when i thought about going there and so i refused. thanks for *opening my eyes*. may i ask about other locations?

Well from Premier Inn Bath Road, you can walk to Myrtle Avenue, probably take you 30 minutes or get the bus from the bus stop in front of the Premier Inn to the Hatton Cross bus/ tube station and then cross the road and walk down to Myrtle Avenue (just look out for all the other spotters already there)

I may try the new Premier Inn at Terminal 5 to try out new locations.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Red Dragon wrote:

I think you mean the new Premier Inn at Terminal 4.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Big Eric wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

Oh well.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Skymonster

Post by Skymonster »

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Premier Inn Terminal 4...

ImageG-BYGA-1-EGLL-06NOV2017 by Alpha Mike Aviation Photography, on Flickr

Top floor, airport facing room. It is through glass, but with a little care reasonable pictures can be obtained.

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Big Eric wrote:
Red Dragon wrote:

That's the one!

globemaster50

Post by globemaster50 »

I've stayed at that Travelodge. The approach is right over the hotel but the rooms must have triple glazing or something because you can't hear a thing inside, maybe just a distant rumble!

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

cg_341 wrote:
toom317 wrote:It was stopped for that good old scare tactic, "security reasons".

There is a certain hotel where you didn't need to be hotel guest to use their terrace, but that has been stopped due to the inconsiderate and downright rude attitude of some spotters towards staff and other guests. If you have a room however, the terrace is still available to you to use.

As much as spotters crow on about the good old days prior to health 'n' safety (etc, ad nauseum), I wonder how many times they promptly shat the nest like they did here, and used up their welcome along the way.

Ouragan

Post by Ouragan »

As usual it is the minority that screw it up for the majority.

Regarding Travelodge Heathrow Central, it is approximately 30 minutes' walk to Myrtle Avenue, and parking for 24 hours is £8.00. Quite good for that locale, so if you stay a night you can leave the car there while you go and spot.

Sneezy24

Post by Sneezy24 »

Some years ago we used the Ariel hotel on Bath Road for accommodation for courses at work. Always asked for (and got!) a top floor room facing the airport.

This was when they had the old 'third runway' at Heathrow... (23 for crosswind landings?) and the planes were almost going past the room windows.. Great!

Used to walk round the peri track and stand under the approach... watching upteen Tridents, VC-10s, Concorde etc...
Anything that flies!