Rougham Airshows & Events

Communal photo threads for specific aircraft types, operators etc.
RCTAM94th

Rougham Airshows & Events

Post by RCTAM94th »

It's been a number of years now since we last hosted an airshow at the airfield and sadly as those days will not come back again, I've put together some photos from various events we have staged on the site over the years. Most of these were taken when i was a teenager with an iffy camera, so they're not up to today's standards!

Anyone is welcome to add anything from their own photo collection to this thread too.

The Control Tower Museum is still going strong though with visitor numbers increasing year on year, so if you're ever in the area, come and pay us a visit!

http://rctam94th.co.uk/

The Blenheim was always a welcome participant and appeared pretty much every year. This was taken at our 2003 show but sadly it was the last time she displayed as a "long nose" as it was involved in the landing accident at Duxford the very next day.

Bristol Blenheim IV - Rougham Airshow, Sunday 17th August 2003 by Chris Day, on Flickr

We staged around 4 to 5 events a year, with Ploughs to Propellers being our annual event to round off the year. It was a fly-in combined with a ploughing competition..although not on the exact same spot on the airfield!

These were all taken from our 2006 event

Ploughs to Propellers - Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Ploughs to Propellers - Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Auster J-2 Arrow - Ploughs to Propellers, Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by ChrisDay, on Flickr

Cyclone AX2000 - Ploughs to Propellers, Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Bolkow Bo-207 - Ploughs to Propellers, Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Isaacs Fury II - Ploughs to Propellers, Rougham Airfield, Sunday 1st October 2006 by Chris Day, on Flickr

We still stage the occasional fly-in and we hope this will continue for the foreseeable future. Here are a few from last years Piper Cub event

Piper PA-18-95 Super Cub - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Piper PA-22-108 Colt - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Piper J3C-65 Cub - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Piper L-21B Super Cub (PA-18-135) - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Local resident Piper L-18C Super Cub
Piper L-18C Super Cub (PA-18-150) - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Piper J3C-65 Cub - Rougham Airfield, Bury St Edmunds, Saturday 3rd June 2017 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Peter Teichman was always a keen participant at our last few airshows, with him displaying "Jumpin' Jacques" back in 2008
North American P-51D Mustang - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

North American P-51D Mustang - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

With the Eastborne show also taking place on the same day, we were able to have RAF participation in the afternoon with displays from the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire, Tutor and a flypast from the Red Arrows flypast. Also the locals from Wattisham popped by for a short SAR demo.

Royal Air Force Grob Tutor T1 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Royal Air Force Grob Tutor T1 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Royal Air Force Westland Sea King HAR3A - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Supermarine Spitfire LF Mk IXc - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Avro Lancaster B1 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

And a selection of some of the other participants

Junkers CL1 (replica) "The Great War Display Team" - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a (replica) "The Great War Display Team" - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Percival Jet Provost T1 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Bacau Yak-52 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Pilatus P-2 - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Nord 1002 Pingouin II - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Boeing Stearman "Team Guinot" - Rougham Airshow 2008, Sunday 17th August 2008 by Chris Day, on Flickr

I'll add a few more onto this thread in the coming weeks, but feel free to contribute to it.

wizzair

Re: Rougham Airshows & Events

Post by wizzair »

I went to plenty of events at Rougham but took very few photos as I was working and generally rushed off my feet. There was usually a point-and-shoot camera to hand somewhere, however. It was always a joy to see the action from the other side of the fence.

It was nice to get to marshal some big stuff too.

When the weather was good it was tricky to fit all the visitors into parking sometimes.

Then there was the matter of getting all the participants refuelled on time.

There would be a short gap when you could watch the action.

Including this nutjob.

And once the parking area was clear there might be a back-seat trip for one of the team in the evening calm.

And then there was all the paperwork generated by the unfortunate incident when the Sukhoi swung on take-off and hit the Cessna in the aircraft park.

Happy days.

Steve W

warferry

Post by warferry »

Nice collection thanks..you may want to check the Provost .. not a jet in sight ..

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Couple from me, must have some more on an old hard drive somewhere!

Yak C.11 G-BTUB by stu norris, on Flickr

Spitfire MH434 - The Old Flying Machine Company by stu norris, on Flickr

RCTAM94th

Post by RCTAM94th »

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Rougham shows were really lovely events. Such a shame that "progress" has gotten in the way...

wizzair

Post by wizzair »

The Rougham shows were not ended by "progress" but by the death of Sir John; it is only in tribute to him that the airfield is not now either a housing estate or a field of sugar beet.

gary1701

Post by gary1701 »

Gents,

Here's a few from me. Being only a few miles away from Rougham I attended most of the shows there before they stopped. There was some great moments, ranging from being stuck in the mud and having your car towed out of the field by a Land Rover to watching Alister Kay putting MH434 through it's paces. That top corner was something special.

Alister giving a wave.

Despite the poor weather, not many UK shows get a flypast by a two ship from the 493rd on a weekend.

Gary
My photo website

My name's Wild Bill Kelso, and don't you forget it! - John Belushi, 1941.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

My favourite airshow venue. Much missed.