RIAT 2019 wish list

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2019 wish list

Post by Tmyers123 »

A member of the crew that came with the Hellenic Air Force Phantoms last year has said in the RIAT Nutters Group (yeah, I know) that the Phantoms will be visiting RIAT once again before their retirement.

AMB

Post by AMB »

This wish list seems centred on individual aircraft requests, but what about the flying display content? I would like to see more variety, set scenes, story telling with pyotechnics, a water-bomber demo, mock attack with parachutists etc. Far too many boring single fast jets blatting up and down being totalling unsociable - how many single F-16s, F-18s, Mirages, Typhoons or Gripens do we need? Surely one of each type is enough, without every air force having to fly one? Surely, the general public are not interested in so many noisy individual aircraft and need entertaining with something more spectacular. After all this is a 'Tattoo'?
Adrian

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

AMB wrote:This wish list seems centred on individual aircraft requests, but what about the flying display content? I would like to see more variety, set scenes, story telling with pyotechnics, a water-bomber demo, mock attack with parachutists etc. Far too many boring single fast jets blatting up and down being totalling unsociable - how many single F-16s, F-18s, Mirages, Typhoons or Gripens do we need? Surely one of each type is enough, without every air force having to fly one? Surely, the general public are not interested in so many noisy individual aircraft and need entertaining with something more spectacular. After all this is a 'Tattoo'?

So you’re saying that DBH should just turn down SoloTürk just because the Belgian F-16 display confirmed first for example? Or they should turn down the Czech Gripen because the Swedish display confirmed first? How do you think that would go down with other display teams? I certainly wouldn’t want to participate in a show if there was a “one display per type” rule.

JJC

Post by JJC »

AMB wrote:This wish list seems centred on individual aircraft requests, but what about the flying display content? I would like to see more variety, set scenes, story telling with pyotechnics, a water-bomber demo, mock attack with parachutists etc. Far too many boring single fast jets blatting up and down being totalling unsociable - how many single F-16s, F-18s, Mirages, Typhoons or Gripens do we need? Surely one of each type is enough, without every air force having to fly one? Surely, the general public are not interested in so many noisy individual aircraft and need entertaining with something more spectacular. After all this is a 'Tattoo'?

Because the alternatives to having several of the same type are: 1.) a shorter display or 2.) some naff civilian acts suitable for a seaside show.

Neither exactly desirable, at a military airshow the size and prestige of RIAT.

Not to mention the potentially irreparable damage done to relations between RIAT and military air arms around the world if this policy was pursued.

And lastly, most solo fast jets displays are flown in their own unique fashion, with their own style and aircraft colour scheme.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Like it or not there are four to five main fast jet types in NATO therefore unless you intend to offend and snub multiple nations, you're going to have multiple displays of the same type - that is a fact of modern militaries.

Your suggestion would have a single result - killing RIAT.

Beefy

Post by Beefy »

Crikey, what a strange post, things really haven't been any different to that for over 30 years!!!

e.g. Mildenhall Air Fete '88 had flying displays by Belgium, Danish, Dutch, Norwegian and USAF F-16s - so 5 F-16 displays in the same days flying programme. The public were very interested in each noisy individual display and didn't need entertaining with other "faf" - have things changed that much in 30 years that now the "public" need entertaining in other ways :dizzy:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Back in the late 70s, before I was born :whistle: , you'd get a Dutch solo, German Navy pair, Belgian fourship, German AF made up fourship, some kind of Norwegian combo, all flying F-104s, OK all in different schemes and far more charismatic than what is to come in the near future and as Beefy says Mildenhall flew the F-16s all one after the other.

I'm sure the UK public can cope with multiples of the same type. I'm not sure I can with F-35s, then again some hover, some don't so we'll see.

And I'd love to see more single Mirages, can you point me in the direction to where they were, as I missed them :mad: . :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think AMB has a point, albeit not to be taken in such extremity, that it would be nice to see a few more airfield attack/set piece style displays.

I agree to an extent - but if we get another RIAT of 2018 or 2017 quality in the next decade, i'll be thrilled (and slightly astounded).

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Grumman S2 would be nice!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Grumman S2 would be nice!

Can’t really see that happening. :grin: If I’m not mistaken, the only military operators are Argentina and Taiwan, and some are used for firefighting in North America.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

& some that are based in France due to retire in 2022.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Airshowhammer wrote:& some that are based in France due to retire in 2022.

The French Tracker that came to Northolt a few years ago for an October night shoot was absolute beast! Lovely engine run too...

My wish for next year is for reasonable weather, but without the heat haze. As it's NATO anniversary year, beg, beg and beg again for the Blue Angels.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Still about as likely as German MiG-29s, and I don’t remember the last time the Sécurité Civile were invited anyway.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tmyers123 wrote:Still about as likely as German MiG-29s, and I don’t remember the last time the Sécurité Civile were invited anyway.

Based on what? & possibly because they come under ‘civil’? :dunno:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Based on the fact that Argentina and Taiwan don’t come to RIAT very often, do they? And if they do participate in the next few years, I imagine it’ll be with an aircraft that wouldn’t be as logistically challenging as an S-2 would. :whistle:
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Thu 30 Aug 2018, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tmyers123 wrote:Based on the fact that Argentina and Taiwan don’t come to RIAT very often, do they? Even less likely that they’ll go through the effort to fly an S-2 all the way over to the UK.

But we’re clearly talking about the Securite Civile French based ones? :facepalm:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

I was saying that an S-2 from any operator is unlikely so not really, chill out. :roll:

Habu

Post by Habu »

My hopes for 2019

Great weather again as it makes for more enjoyable displays , especially the demo teams.
Plenty of 'open ' aircraft . It's great to get inside and get a feel for them and also to chat to the crews.
Flying wise : It would be nice to see something big B-1,B-52,C-5 or c-17 , but don't really expect it to happen.
Keep the 3 day format . On the Friday this year there were a lot of kids groups : school, brownies , scouts etc getting to enjoy the show whilst it's not so crowded:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Habu wrote:My hopes for 2019

Great weather again as it makes for more enjoyable displays , especially the demo teams.
Plenty of 'open ' aircraft . It's great to get inside and get a feel for them and also to chat to the crews.
Flying wise : It would be nice to see something big B-1,B-52,C-5 or c-17 , but don't really expect it to happen.
Keep the 3 day format . On the Friday this year there were a lot of kids groups : school, brownies , scouts etc getting to enjoy the show whilst it's not so crowded:

If you’re referring to the 3 full day format, that was just a one off.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tmyers123 wrote:I was saying that an S-2 from any operator is unlikely so not really, chill out. :roll:

Yeah but French bassd S-2’s are much more likely to come than German Migs don’t ya think? :wink:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I would certainly like a return of the 3 day format, and the Tuesday arrivals!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I know this will split opinions, and there's no right answer because it depends on what you prefer, but I'm absolutely the opposite.

The Tuesday - Monday with the full Friday/Saturday/Sunday show days this year was exhausting.

I quite liked the dynamic of the more relaxed Friday arrivals/show day that finished early and actually gave people oodles of time to peruse half of the show round, and it gave people who can't afford the time or money to watch arrivals a chance to see stuff that's mostly on static "live" as it were.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Portuguese Merlin :biggrin:

flight79

Post by flight79 »

The return of the Mole :rock: :yahoo:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Solo display by a Tigre would be nice :-)