1/72 Spitfire Project - the next batch

Modelling advice and photos of your latest creations
ArabJazzie

1/72 Spitfire Project - the next batch

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello all,
With the mojo appearing to be back, i think it is about time to get the next batch on the go. At the minute i have 22 kits in the stash for this project and will be looking at the following OOB gaps to be filled from the stash.

Eduard XVI Dual Combo high back and low back.
KP Vb
Sword XIVe low back
Sword Seafire IIc
Sword Seafire III

There is also an Airfix IX that i may try to disguise as an XVI but i doubt that will work!

That leaves in 1/72, 2x Airfix Ia, 2x Airfix PR.19, then in 1/48th Airfix Ia, 4x Airfix Vb, 2x Airfix PR.19, 3x Seafire XVII and 2x Seafire 46/47. Currently formulating a plan with the Ia/Vbs to cover Ib/IIa/IIb/Va/Vb/VI which will appear in their own thread after this one is finished.
Pictures as and when i start each one.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

ArabJazzie

Re: 1/72 Spitfire Project - the next batch

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again everyone,
Think i have just had a great start to this batch of Spits so i think its best to show progress.

In the box you get this pile of plastic.
ImageMKXVILBHB4 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr
Closer look at the sprues with the low back fuselage sprue shown
ImageMKXVILBHB3 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr
And 2 each of the following
ImageMKXVILBHB2 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageMKXVILBHB by Geoff Duke, on Flickr
Progress was rapid and i soon had one cockpit build with PE, the other just plastic. The fuselages and wings were quick and simple.
ImageMKXVILB by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageMKXVIHB2 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr
The following is how i may leave these as the wing and fuselage is together with no glue and there are no gaps. I just know that once glue is added as skillfully as i dont, there will be certain gaps that will need filled and obliterate the fantastic detail that Eduard put into these!
ImageMKXVIHB by Geoff Duke, on Flickr
Hopefully some more progress before September, but more likely when im off next month.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
Well there was more progress before end of last month, then my cameras relationship with its memory card fell by the wayside and i couldnt take any pics. These 2 have had glue added and are read for a coat of primer.

ImageSpitXVIcombo2 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

ImageSpitXVIcombo by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Off for next 6 days so should get some paint on these.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again,
Been plodding along with the 2 Eduard Spits and i have to say they are the best 2 kits i have ever built! As usual though, life gets in the way and a knee problem means i cant get comfy enough to sit at the table for long enough. Found a balance and got the Spits finished bar the stencils! Only down side is my sausage fingers cannot deal with PE!

ImageSpitXVIHBLB by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

One thing about this Dual Combo boxing is there is a huge chance to bring in something a bit different into a sea of OG/DG/MSG Spits.

ImageSpitXVITB63401 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Finished as TB634/AU-S of 421 sqn RCAF based at Petit Brogel in Belgium during March 1945. Initially wasnt sure about the miss matched roundels but it looks good.

ImageSpitXVISL721 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Finished as SL721/JMR as flown by AVM Sir James Robb. First time mixing paint to get the colour for this which is PRU Blue and white to what i thought was right. Didnt mix enough to start with and thought it was too dark anyway. Second batch was a touch too light but didnt want a 3rd coat as it was looking like the detail was disappearing. Klear darked it enough then i found a few issues that needed the fuselage re-painted, but no hassle in the end.

Next up should have been a couple of Sword Seafires, but i jumped at the chance of the Freightdog/KP Model Seafire Ibs with both options OOB having been based just along the road at Condor and East Haven.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hello again everyone,
The Spitfire project marches on with 3 kits that are based on KPs Vb, one from KP and 2 Seafire Ibs in collaboration with Freightdog.

The Seafire box.
ImageKPSeafireBL62604 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

I started with 3 sets of sprue like this, along with 2 bags of resin bits.
ImageKPSeafireBL62603 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

Soon had one of the Seafires built up along with the Vb fuselage.
ImageKPSeafireBL62602 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

The Seafire is created by removing an area of the belly to insert the resin hook assemby.
ImageKPSeafireBL62601 by Geoff Duke, on Flickr

My target is to have these built and primed before Christmas, but thats as far as i can get as ive had a tank failure on my airbrush compressor and need to buy a replacement. Would have bought it last week, but i went and bought 3 Brengun Spits, a Vb Float, Messerspit and IXc Float, all closely related to AZ/KP Spits so will be built with these 3.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Craig

Post by Craig »

These are looking great mate nice work! I do love a Seafire!