North Weald Jetfest 2018

For any UK event that does not have its own forum
tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

North Weald Jetfest 2018

Post by tankbuster81 »

This looks like it could be an interesting event.

JETFEST 2018 PHOTOGRAPHY DAY – FRIDAY 28TH SEPTEMBER 2018 (Further details on our facebook page)
JETFEST 2018 – NORTH WEALD AIRFIELD – SATURDAY 29TH SEPTEMBER & SUNDAY 30TH SEPTEMBER 2018
FREE ADMISSION
(Donations welcomed) A Weekend getting up close and personal to the Gnat Display Team, Two days of vintage aircraft, engine noise and the smell of jets, with the Gnats as the star attraction all doing engine runs and taxying and 2 of them will be flying each day!
Plus the bonus of guest appearances from other historic jets, this has to be the weekend for you. Plenty of opportunity to photograph your favourite jets, with fly ins (times to be announced), statics & more.
Plus meet the team!
In the evening you can huddle down with a curry and a pint (charges apply) and watch Top Gun or Hot Shots on the Big Screen.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

frank

Re: North Weald Jetfest 2018

Post by frank »

I googled this and came up with a Timeline event on the Friday with tickets at £65. Weekend might be free but Friday as I said.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

frank wrote:I googled this and came up with a Timeline event on the Friday with tickets at £65. Weekend might be free but Friday as I said.

Yes they've said the weekend will be free and the Gnats will be flying and other stuff might pop in and out of North Weald as well unlike on Friday.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I expect I'll pop over if the weather is decent. Pretty good lineup all told.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

st24

Post by st24 »

Debut of the F1?? :question:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I wish there was a bit more information about this as it's a long drive for me. I was thinking of going to the Friday evening shoot, but sadly it's a Timeline event which brings with it the horrors of the smoke machine and saggy old chaps zipped into flightsuits.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

From what I gathered at the weekend, the Jets will be parked on the hard standing normally used by the aero modellers, so it should be decent for pics once the sun swings round in the afternoon.

Last time their open day consisted of a flight by the Gnats, lots of circuits when they returned and then an opportunity to get up close to them on the taxiway after they'd shut down.

I would imagine something similar this time. There may also be a chance to see the single seat Gnat, possibly engine running reading between the lines, and I would expect that maybe some of the visiting jets may also go out on a local flight, but there are no guarantees.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

65 quid? Jesus christ.

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

The Saturday & Sunday are free to all and all the aircraft will be parked on the East / West runway opposite The Squadron , with the grass being used to have some stalls and a couple of aircraft, and at least one helicopter being parked in that area.
At the present time 18 jets are confirmed , with the organisers still trying to get at least 10 more, owners still being talked too , to see if they will attend.
It`s only the Friday PM that the aircraft will be parked on the "Fighter Pan" opposite the Gnat hangar, for the Evening / Night photo shoot and it is a Timeline event . Not showing "Sold out" according to their web site.

G-ANPK (North Weald Marshalling Team)

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Am I the only one here who feels that this event may be utterly rammed?

I can only get there for the afternoon on Saturday but I wouldn't miss it... it looks like a really great event.

frank

Post by frank »

st24 wrote:Debut of the F1?? :question:

Sorry whats an F1

Edit I think its Gnat XR537

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

frank wrote:
st24 wrote:Debut of the F1?? :question:

Sorry whats an F1

Edit I think its Gnat XR537

It's the single-seat Indian Gnat Mk1, G-SLYR.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

G-ANPK wrote:The Saturday & Sunday are free to all and all the aircraft will be parked on the East / West runway opposite The Squadron , with the grass being used to have some stalls and a couple of aircraft, and at least one helicopter being parked in that area.
At the present time 18 jets are confirmed , with the organisers still trying to get at least 10 more, owners still being talked too , to see if they will attend.
It`s only the Friday PM that the aircraft will be parked on the "Fighter Pan" opposite the Gnat hangar, for the Evening / Night photo shoot and it is a Timeline event . Not showing "Sold out" according to their web site.

G-ANPK (North Weald Marshalling Team)

Thanks for clarifying. The west end of that runway, up near Wings Café/Hangar 11 would have a less cluttered backdrop.

G-ANPK

Post by G-ANPK »

Bronco now confirmed (G-ONAA) and another JP, both hopefully will arrive Friday also the C-54 will be moved over to the Fighter pan on Friday and in front of The Squadron for the weekend.

G-ANPK

MerlinPaul

Post by MerlinPaul »

Hoping to go Sunday what time does it open ?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

MerlinPaul wrote:Hoping to go Sunday what time does it open ?

10am. Some more information about timings would be really appreciated though, especially when the potential engine runs or flying may take place.

Ian66

Post by Ian66 »

Is there any info on what else is booked in apart from the Gnat team, bronco and a JP ?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

G-MOUR XR992 Gnat T1
G-RORI XR538 Gnat T1
G-SLYR E296 Gnat F1
G-NATY XR537 Gnat T1
G-SOAF 425 Strikemaster
G-RSAF 417 Strikemaster
G-BKOU XN637 JP3
G-BWSG XW324 JP5B
G-BWGF XW325 JP5A
G-BWOT XN459 JP3A
G-PROV 104 JP4/T52
G-VIVM XS230 JP5
G-BZSE WV322 Hunter T8B
G-HUEY Huey UH-1
G-ONAA OV-10 Bronco
C-54 Skymaster
Pilatus PC-12

Also potentially Gnat T1 G-FRCE.

Ian66

Post by Ian66 »

That's a good start - Thanks for the list

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

18 jets confirmed so far and another 10 possible. Is that every flying classic jet in the UK that isn't a Hunter?

Is this a static event/fly-in event only? No displays?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Witchcraft24 wrote:Is this a static event/fly-in event only? No displays?

Yes. The Gnats should be flying some sorties, and perhaps some of the other jets will be too, but flying at the airfield will be limited to standard operational procedures of take-offs, landings and overshoots.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Christ, look at all those JPs...

:love:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

CJS

Post by CJS »

Witchcraft24 wrote:18 jets confirmed so far and another 10 possible. Is that every flying classic jet in the UK that isn't a Hunter?

The MB Meteors are not on the list.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

I would like to attend but need a postcode for the satnav. Can anyone help? (it's about 70 miles from me and I don't know the area although I did attend some of the Fighter Meet air shows...navigating via a map!). I know I can get a postcode for the airfield via google, but do not know if that will be the correct code for this event.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

I'd imagine you just drive through the main airfield gate (near the market) and drive around to the airfield side. The cafe, for example, gives a postcode of CM16 6DD for this whereas Google Maps gives CM16 6HR.