2019 Show dates

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
pbeardmore

Re: 2019 Show dates

Post by pbeardmore »

I think they have to get the balance right between having a diverse line up to please the public and having something "geeky" for the geeks.

A line up of Spitfires of the same Mk I'm afraid falls into the later. The Navy theme was perfect as it allowed jets, classic prop fighters, trainers etc under a theme that everyone understood. The idea posted re US aviation is perfect IMHO as it does the same as the Navy theme. (When does the next 4th July fall on a Sunday? 2021!)

The Hurricane idea is nice but how about expanding it to a Hawker show? (may have been done before) Even the Reds would fit in :-)

Another idea: Octoberfest (in Oct obviously) with decent German beer/food and a Germanic theme to the flying ? Trio of 109s, MBB105 back flipping , etc etc
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Bill16STN

Post by Bill16STN »

pbeardmore wrote:Another idea: Octoberfest (in Oct obviously) with decent German beer/food and a Germanic theme to the flying? Trio of 109s, MBB105 back flipping , etc etc

"The Munich Oktoberfest originally took place in the 16-day period leading up to the first Sunday in October."
So entirely possible in September?

However maybe a combined food festival & Flying Display - when all is said & done Shuttleworth is also an Agricultural College?

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Makes sense to me. How many airshow fans dont appreciate decent food? Some lovely German grub on an Autumn's day. Throw in some classic Porsche, Mercedes in the grounds etc , Junkers 52 maybe?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Could book Kraftwerk for a set in hangar 2...

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

People may be interested to know the prices have increased, now £20 for svas, 25 in advance for adult, 30 the week before and 35! on the gate. That's now more expensive than Duxford and that includes the parking permit. Starts being a very expensive day out, I make the svas ticket a 17.6% increase in the last two years.
Thomas

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Tom105 wrote:People may be interested to know the prices have increased, now £20 for svas, 25 in advance for adult, 30 the week before and 35! on the gate. That's now more expensive than Duxford and that includes the parking permit. Starts being a very expensive day out, I make the svas ticket a 17.6% increase in the last two years.

Smacks of greed based on the recent resurgence in popularity of Shuttleworth. £35 on the gate for a three hour show, with many weather-dependent types is pushing what is acceptable and bordering on the extortionate. It doesn't seem like long ago that Old Warden was THE place to go for excellent value, I'm pretty sure advance tickets were £20 only a couple of years ago, rising to £25 on the gate? Coupled with the inconsistencies of the bend from show to show, some events packed with topsides, others flown quite distant, it's asking for quite a leap of faith to buy tickets a long way in advance for a venue that can be decimated by even a blustery day.

Shuttleworth have been very lucky with weather recently - that won't last, nor will people's tolerance of escalating ticket prices.

This venue was airshow perfection, the perfect antidote to the commercial rip-off up the road at Duxford - I hate to see senior management doing all they can to ruin it.

Hammy

Post by Hammy »

pbeardmore wrote:Makes sense to me. How many airshow fans dont appreciate decent food? Some lovely German grub on an Autumn's day. Throw in some classic Porsche, Mercedes in the grounds etc , Junkers 52 maybe?

I realise it'd cost a fair bit, but they could always go a little bit mad and get the Junkers F.13 replica over from Switzerland. It fits the theme, would coincide with the F.13's 100th and having first flown in 1919, ties in with the collection's older aircraft.
Author, visionary, dreamweaver... Plus actor.

Planespotters.net gallery
mwneedham.com

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Guys need some advice on OW. Have not been to a show there for 20+ years, but been to the museum reciently. My elderly mum has expressed a desire to go to a show there next year, suprised me totally. Which of the shows would combine the collections aircraft with the reds and Typhoon display? She has a disabled badge, andybody know where the disabled parking area is? Eaqually it is a 2 hour drive and I am guessing OW is not a place that you need to get to a stupid o'clock? Whats the traffic normally like at 10am? thanks

Orion

Post by Orion »

Tom105 wrote:People may be interested to know the prices have increased, now £20 for svas, 25 in advance for adult, 30 the week before and 35! on the gate. That's now more expensive than Duxford and that includes the parking permit. Starts being a very expensive day out, I make the svas ticket a 17.6% increase in the last two years.
I think this might just result in a fall in visitor numbers, but whether it results in a fall in revenue I don't know. Certainly the entrance of £30 for the Race Day show put me off, the participants list wasn't good enough for the fee being charged.

I think the Collection, if it wants to charge such amounts, needs to do more in making the shows less predicable and dropping 'Fly Navy' is not the way forward.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

farnboroughrob wrote:Guys need some advice on OW. Have not been to a show there for 20+ years, but been to the museum reciently. My elderly mum has expressed a desire to go to a show there next year, suprised me totally. Which of the shows would combine the collections aircraft with the reds and Typhoon display? She has a disabled badge, andybody know where the disabled parking area is? Eaqually it is a 2 hour drive and I am guessing OW is not a place that you need to get to a stupid o'clock? Whats the traffic normally like at 10am? thanks

I wouldn't bank on seeing either the Typhoon or the Reds at Shuttleworth, and I'd say it's even more unlikely to see both at the same show.

You don't need to be there too early, and you can even watch the whole show from your car should you so wish. Many people do.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Orion wrote:
I think the Collection, if it wants to charge such amounts, needs to do more in making the shows less predicable and dropping 'Fly Navy' is not the way forward.

The tedious Race Day is the one which should have gone, though given that a large number of the types that fit the theme are based there, it is a considerably cheaper theme to build a show round than, say, Fly Navy was...

Having done Race Day once, that was plenty for me. I'll save my £35 that week.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Equally, Race Day drew a huge (by OW standards) crowd this year which felt bigger than Fly Navy. I'd be interested to see the official figures. It's been consistently well attended since 2014 (albeit I can't comment on 2017's edition as I missed that one) and is acknowledged within the historic aviation enthusiast crowd as one of the year's highlights. Not all of the races work, it isn't to everyone's liking and it isn't one for the photographer, but the vintage line-up is exceptional, always slightly different and typically features some fantastic sequences. This year's was no exception. Clearly the Collection are doing something right with the concept - as an annual celebration of motor and air racing, it works a treat. The aircraft gathered on that airfield - 20 to 25 visiting acts among them - are some of the rarest, most elusive types on the British circuit.

Fly Navy has been great, but has been drawing from an increasingly small pool of available aeroplanes. It makes sense to rest the theme for a year or so, give the scene time to freshen up. To lose Race Day would be a travesty - the slow death of the small UK airshows means it's the only opportunity to see many of those aircraft in the air. It needs to happen next year so we can have the three Comper Swifts airborne together!

The Comet, Mew Gulls and Mystery Ship rounding the bend in formation at the end of Race Day '18 will live long in the memory. Personally, I'd take that over warbirds I can see elsewhere any day of the week.

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Orion wrote:
The tedious Race Day is the one which should have gone, though given that a large number of the types that fit the theme are based there, it is a considerably cheaper theme to build a show round than, say, Fly Navy was...

Having done Race Day once, that was plenty for me. I'll save my £35 that week.

I enjoyed Race Day and, for me, got some reasonable photos. I have travelled to Old Warden from Cornwall for 3 shows this year and have not been disappointed with any of them and certainly intend to do something similar in 2019. Long may they continue.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Elliott Marsh wrote:Equally, Race Day drew a huge (by OW standards) crowd this year which felt bigger than Fly Navy.

The fact it was advertised for a very long time as PT's last display might have something to do with that? My interest stopped once he'd told me he was no longer attending.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I didn't pick up before the Race Day event, but I'm getting the impression from some reports I've read since that the show had a car/motorsport element too? Was this some sort of wings and wheels event that I've been hoping for a while that Shuttleworth would stage?

Given the massive crossover among us enthusiasts between aircraft and cars (they tick many of the same boxes for me), a motor racing element to complement the air racing theme would certainly interest me. Bringing in some choice cars, both live and static, from marques with pedigree would make a great event. What an all round great day out that would be.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:I didn't pick up before the Race Day event, but I'm getting the impression from some reports I've read since that the show had a car/motorsport element too? Was this some sort of wings and wheels event that I've been hoping for a while that Shuttleworth would stage?

Given the massive crossover among us enthusiasts between aircraft and cars (they tick many of the same boxes for me), a motor racing element to complement the air racing theme would certainly interest me. Bringing in some choice cars, both live and static, from marques with pedigree would make a great event. What an all round great day out that would be.

That's exactly what Race Day is - large numbers of vintage motor racing cars and bikes, which partake in a pre-flying display parade. Details of the participating vehicles are published on the Shuttleworth website. Ever was thus, and it's a spectacular amalgamation of wings and wheels, as you put it!

I can't agree that PT's 'retirement' (he reserves the right to display in future, as he's pointed out) was responsible for drawing a big gate. Whilst significant, it's hardly something that would have people flocking. My experience is that the majority of people, including hardened enthusiasts, care much less about who is flying what than they do the aircraft itself and what it's doing in its display. Besides, Race Day's crowds have always been big. I suspect an excellent weather forecast and superb line-up were responsible in the event.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

I can't see the Race Day theme being dropped for the foreseeable future, simply because cars were such a big part of Richard Shuttleworth's life.

Regarding the other points, Race Day will always be well attended IMO because it's the last show of the year - everyone wants that one final dose of aviation before the camera kit is packed away. You also make up the numbers by attracting lots of motor vehicle enthusiasts that don't necessarily have an interest in aeroplanes. That's why the theme IMO is regarded as a success by the Collection and is going to continue.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:I can't see the Race Day theme being dropped for the foreseeable future, simply because cars were such a big part of Richard Shuttleworth's life.

Regarding the other points, Race Day will always be well attended IMO because it's the last show of the year - everyone wants that one final dose of aviation before the camera kit is packed away. You also make up the numbers by attracting lots of motor vehicle enthusiasts that don't necessarily have an interest in aeroplanes. That's why the theme IMO is regarded as a success by the Collection and is going to continue.

This. I'm convinced it was nothing to do with the line up but with its position in the calendar. Move it to June or July and I bet the turnout would be much lower. I have to admit I enjoyed Race Day this year but I only went because of the weather forecast.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Elliott Marsh wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:I didn't pick up before the Race Day event, but I'm getting the impression from some reports I've read since that the show had a car/motorsport element too? Was this some sort of wings and wheels event that I've been hoping for a while that Shuttleworth would stage?

That's exactly what Race Day is - large numbers of vintage motor racing cars and bikes, which partake in a pre-flying display parade. Details of the participating vehicles are published on the Shuttleworth website. Ever was thus, and it's a spectacular amalgamation of wings and wheels, as you put it!

I can't agree that PT's 'retirement' (he reserves the right to display in future, as he's pointed out) was responsible for drawing a big gate. Whilst significant, it's hardly something that would have people flocking. My experience is that the majority of people, including hardened enthusiasts, care much less about who is flying what than they do the aircraft itself and what it's doing in its display. Besides, Race Day's crowds have always been big. I suspect an excellent weather forecast and superb line-up were responsible in the event.

Ah well, now I know, and I'll bear that in mind next season. Its rather blinkered of us in the airshow community to discuss it purely as an airshow - ourselves at UKAR included. I don't think I've seen an image of a car so far in the post-event reporting. Which is hardly conveying an impression of the event as a whole.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Presumably because photographers are so fixated on topsides. :whistle:

Nothing to show for this year just yet because of life commitments, but my boi's Race Day 2016 write up has a few shots of the classic cars - http://vintageaviationecho.com/shuttleworth-race-day-2016-honours-aviation-pioneers/. It really is a smashing show, kind of a mini Goodwood Revival without the elitism.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

A WW1 air day would be a very interesting theme to put up, especially with the growing population of repro fighters from New Zealand. Maybe one day if it's possible, a collaboration between Shuttleworth, the guys from Stow Maries, the Great War team, and maybe some WW1 fighters from Europe (not forgetting that DH-9 at Duxy?) :smile: ah well dream on... By the way what ever happened to the Vickers Vimy repro?

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Vimy is now preserved at Brooklands, I believe.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

UKTopgun wrote:Could book Kraftwerk for a set in hangar 2...

Is that the one with all the models in? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

According to a post on Facebook, the Royal Jordanian Falcons will be displaying at a yet undisclosed show this year.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Abbo46 wrote:According to a post on Facebook, the Royal Jordanian Falcons will be displaying at a yet undisclosed show this year.

Seems a shame they have to keep their display venue secret until the last minute, to avoid people making other arrangements to be elsewhere! :whistle: :wink: