Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Photos that are not aviation related
Pen Pusher

Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Post by Pen Pusher »

As my birthday falls on or around the last weekend in November, over the last 5 years or so I’ve been treating myself to a long weekend in London. I thought I’ve got to do something different this year. A few months back I started seeing photos on the tinterweb of the new Victoria and Albert Design Museum which opened in Dundee on the 15 September 2018. That’s different I thought so I booked a stay at the Premier Inn, about a two minute walk from the train station and the V&A building, and right on the waterfront. I had a cheap off-peak return rail ticket and my just under 6 hour train journey north of the border stalled at Newark Northgate as we sat for 2 hours waiting for the overhead cables at Doncaster to be fixed. We then light hopped into Doncaster as only one platform was open for both north and southbound trains so we had to wait our turn. Missed my connections and arrived 3 hours later than planned. I didn’t let that spoil a very enjoyable, if a little wet and cold at times, long weekend.

Dundee christmas light were switched on the weekend before I visited and center around the Christmas tree in City Square.

View along High Street towards City Square.

Food vendor on High Street.

City Square fountains in front of Cairn Hall.

Caird Hall built between 1914 and 1923, as a concert hall.

View from City Square with Reform Street in the background.

According to the Japanese architect that won the designed competition for the new V&A museum, Kengo Kuma, the inspiration for the design was the eastern granite cliff edges of Scotland. No matter what way or angle I looked at it, it just reminds me of a ships hull.

Royal Research Ship Discovery is a barque-rigged auxiliary steamship and was the last traditional three-masted ship to be built in the United Kingdom. Discovery now sits in a dock next to the new V&A Museum on the Dundee waterfront less than half a mile to the west from where it was originally built by the Dundee Shipbuilders Company and launched in 1901.

More of the sights of Dundee to follow.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

CJS

Re: Bimbling Around Dundee ~ 23rd, 24th & 25th November 2018

Post by CJS »

Interesting set Brian. It's a very striking building isn't it. Not necessarily sure I actually like it, but it's certainly a statement!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

As an ex Architectural Technician, I still have an interest in things architecture, and I like the outside of the V&A, I'm not impressed with the inside. Too much wood. Not sure it knows what it want's to be. A shopping mall or a museum. The ground floor is basically a shop and cafe and the upper floor a restaurant. The lift tower spoils the open space. The design bit of the museum seems to be pushed to the side and in two separate rooms.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dundee is the headquarters of DC Thomson, publishers of such literary classics as The Beano, The Dandy and the ever popular The People’s Friend.

Sitting on a wall across the road from his spiritual home, with pea shooter in hand, is Oor Willie from The Sunday Post.

Bimbling along the High Street every day is Desperate Dan, from the Dandy, who can be seen taking his pet dog ‘Dawg’ out for a walk with Minnie the Minx, and her catapult, about to cause a spot of bother.

The Tay Rail Bridge is just under 3 miles long and spans the Tay estuary from Wormit on the south bank to Dundee on the north bank. The original bridge was opened in 1878 but on the 28th December 1879 at 7.15pm, the bridge collapsed into the Tay as a train was crossing and heading towards Dundee with all crew and passengers killed. During the inquiry it was established that a Gale Force 10 wind which was blowing along the estuary at the time and design flaws in the bridge construction contributed to its failure. The Tay Rail bridge was rebuilt and opened in 1887 and is still being used to this day.

The stumps of the original bridge piers can still be seen at low tide.

The Tay Rail Bridge Disaster Memorial.

Attached to the sea wall just outside the hotel I was staying at is a bronze plaque which reads along the bottom - ″Commemoration of the 1938 flight of Captain Bennett from the Tay Estuary to South West Africa” by the Short Maia/Mercury flying boats.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

wallace

Post by wallace »

You forgot to mention about DC Thomson's other great creation The Courier!

Nice set of photos Brian with Dundee traditional Christmas fare... burgers!

Your wee camera's low light capability is impressive, freezing the action on the Dummy-tit fountains is a good example.

As for the V&A, I'll wait until it's encrusted in seagull poo before I see the resemblance with the cliffs.