MAKS 2019

Discuss airshows, exercises and spotter days outside of Europe and North America
Berf

Re: MAKS 2019 Roll Call

Post by Berf »

I was not keen on the planned Saturday on this tour. If I am going to MAKS I want to maximise the MAKS days for weather - imagine if it was raining on Friday and Sunday and on Sat you are sitting in a museum or a free afternoon in the sun. If you have had your fill by Fri and Sat do the museum and free day on Sunday...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

27th-2nd updated dates with IA travel. When do we start to see what will be appearing?

Berf

Post by Berf »

They are Russians - no time or any time, three or four months or three weeks or two weeks or ten minutes before....!

spaceward

Post by spaceward »

Hotel now booked just waiting for the paperwork so I can start the long haul of Visa applications. At least for these Visas it’s only the 2 of us going, last years SPB visit I completed 5 separate applications. Day out in the big smoke to present the paperwork then start sorting out places / museums to visit along with 2 days at MAKS

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I'm using a visa service that takes care of the invitation letter and everything...

my only holdup at this point is making sure my work approves the time off, then I'll go about changing the flights and making it happen.

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Does anyone have a video footage from the south of the airfield, in the town called Vertyachevo???

I'm just curious how it looks from there. Is is possible to see the aircraft taking off??

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

DealerNation wrote:Does anyone have a video footage from the south of the airfield, in the town called Vertyachevo???

I'm just curious how it looks from there. Is is possible to see the aircraft taking off??

There are quite a few videos taken from the riverbank - YouTube is your friend.

No, you can't see the runway from the riverbank, it's obscured by the opposite bank itself and trees etc. Doesn't really matter, because as soon as the aircraft are airborne they make a sharp turn and are immediately over your head.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

DealerNation

Post by DealerNation »

Skyflash wrote:
DealerNation wrote:Does anyone have a video footage from the south of the airfield, in the town called Vertyachevo???

There are quite a few videos taken from the riverbank - YouTube is your friend.

No, you can't see the runway from the riverbank, it's obscured by the opposite bank itself and trees etc. Doesn't really matter, because as soon as the aircraft are airborne they make a sharp turn and are immediately over your head.

I've been going through Youtube for a while but all I could find were the vids from either inside the airshow or from right next to the tower.

It's quite a relief to hear that the aircraft will be flying over the head. Thanks for the heads up.

I should book whatever the hotel that's near the airport and just get a taxi to get to the village

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Some rumours produce great results & others....well? Would anybody like to confirm whether there is likely to be continued access to the much-praised riverbank location in 2019? The jungle-drums suggest NOT, & this could be a deal-breaker for me. Very Happy to be reassured this scare is not true! :sweat:

Berf

Post by Berf »

Stagger2 wrote:Some rumours produce great results & others....well? Would anybody like to confirm whether there is likely to be continued access to the much-praised riverbank location in 2019? The jungle-drums suggest NOT, & this could be a deal-breaker for me. Very Happy to be reassured this scare is not true! :sweat:

It's Russia - it might it might not be - it might be now and not tomorrow and the other way around... I'm going whatever - there's no other airshow that gets anywhere near to aircraft numbers at MAKS that are not on the regular airshow circuit.. into sun or not..

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

These rumours circulated 2 years ago before the show as well from what I recall. There's plenty of videos from the far side of the river from 2017.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

I'll be there with the Dutch guys from 4 Aviation.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Also going with 4 Aviation

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Berf wrote:Also going with 4 Aviation

Are you flying with them from Amsterdam? I'm flying from Heathrow and will meet them at SVO.

Berf

Post by Berf »

I am wandering around Moscow for a few days before so will probably meet at the Panorama hotel assuming nothing is happening on the Wednesday afternoon. If it is I may go to SVO and meet there.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Anyone with a hotel recommendation near the base? I cancelled my last one with the rescheduling and haven’t rebooked yet...

Preferably one that offers visa assistance.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Think it is more about availability than recommendation. Any hotel rooms are likely to be very expensive but there's any number of apartments. Think about the 4aviation tour without flights. Trip to Monino thrown in as well.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

The hotels are all significantly cheaper than the ones for RIAT. Was just looking for someone with specific experience with the hotels around the area and preferably with one with the required invitation letters for the visa.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Go4Long wrote:The hotels are all significantly cheaper than the ones for RIAT. Was just looking for someone with specific experience with the hotels around the area and preferably with one with the required invitation letters for the visa.
From the 4aviation website about the MAKS trip
(4Aviation will provide the Visa Support Letter)
So that would be solved.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

The downside is it's 800 euro if you want your own room.

Regardless...I emailed one of the hotel options and they fired me off a form to fill out for the invitation letter, so that's taken care of.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Website seems to confirm teams for this year:

First Flight
Team Colibri
Team Russ
Baltic Bees
Russian Knights
Swifts
Falcons of Russia

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Does first flight = August 1st?

Tried searching for it but can’t seem to come up with anything, the first result was August First though for some reason.

Aviamil

Post by Aviamil »

Hi,

Team 'First Flight' are the yellow & red pistion Yak team that have been at past Maks events.

Marc

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Aviamil wrote:Hi,

Team 'First Flight' are the yellow & red pistion Yak team that have been at past Maks events.

Marc

Ah, fair enough.

I'm assuming (and I know it's Russia and any of this may or may not happen on a daily basis) that we will likely be able to count on the PAK-FA/SU-57, a MIG-35, SU-34, SU-35, and maybe with the Chinese partnership one of their J-20/J-17's?

Would those be relatively safe guesses?

D90Man

Post by D90Man »

All reasonable except the Chinese I would suggest.

Leon
"Sharpness is in the eye of the holder"
More at http://www.planephotos.org.uk