Canon 7D Mk. II

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Abbo46

Canon 7D Mk. II

Post by Abbo46 »

Considering an upgrade to the 7D, is it worth the fairly hefty price?
Last edited by Abbo46 on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul_Reflex

Re: Canon 7D

Post by Paul_Reflex »

The original 7D or the mark II?

What have you got currently?

Abbo46

Re: Canon 7D Mk. II

Post by Abbo46 »

My mistake, had forgotten a second model had been released.

Currently using an 1300D. :up:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

The 7DII is great, it just works really well. However, the image quality is not as good as the 80D. So if you tend to take lots of consecutive shots, machine gun style or if you want a really robust body go for the 7DII and you won't be disappointed. But if you tend to take single images at decisive moments and would prefer better image quality or fancy the flip out screen the go for the 80D. Just my opinion of course, but I have previously owned and loved both bodies.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

You can't go wrong with the 7D Mark II. It's a brilliant camera, and its popularity at airshows speaks for itself.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

I was never really happy with the 7D, but I love the 7D mkII. It's a huge step up from the 1300D and I for one would certainly recommend you taking it :)

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Many thanks guys, purchase shall be made in due course. :up:

Image quality is exceptional, it seems!

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

It's a good camera - a little noisy over 640ISO, but still a much better camera than the Mk.1.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Will bare that in mind, cheers! :smile:

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Agree with what Paul_Reflex says and I've used both as well. It's horses for courses really and dependant, as Paul says, on how you will use it.

The 7D2 has a better focusing system, better frame rate/continuous shooting, better weather sealing and the shutter life expectancy is twice that of the 80D (approx 200k v 100k).

The 80D has an articulated touch screen, built in wireless, higher resolution (24MP v 20MP), a better low-light performance and a higher dynamic range than the 7D2, and also weighs less.

The 7D2 was released in late 2014 and the 80D in early 2016, and are both allegedly due for replacement by Canon. There have been rumours of a 7D3 for some time and more recently of a 90D, but neither have appeared for sale. The 7D3 was rumoured within the industry to be released early last year but did not appear. Current rumours now have it that there will be one model to replace both cameras.

You can get a grey import 80D at somewhere like HDEW for approx £610 and a 7D2 for £840.

The answer to your question is 'Yes, it's worth it'

tom tiger

Post by tom tiger »

To be honest, I had the same choice when my 70D started to act up.... so 80D vs 7D mk II. I went for the 80D and what convinced me was the fold out touch screen. It simply works so well. But since I had the 70D with the same type of screen.... it was the better option for me, esspecially when shooting the static over my head or under the fence :-) Not as fast as the 7D mk II (7 io 10 fps) but well, very well worth it. IMHO.
Also I could fit the grip of my 70D on my 80D :-).
"You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomtiger/albums

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Just to throw in my twopennyworth, I have had the 7d2 since the first day of release, and it is an awesome camera. Still going strong and getting many great images. I would say the keep rate of shots is around 80%. I use the Sigma 50-500mm OS lens with it, and is good for aviation and wildlife shots. Not considering in replacing either to be fair, although may be tempted to Sigma's 60-600mm lens when funds allow :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Fantastic, cheers guys! :smile:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Unable to find anything concrete online,

Is there compatibility issues between the 7D Mk. II and the Tamron 150-600mm? I've recently had both out for some testing before the airshow season and noticed that, when zoomed in, pictures of airliners OTT appear to be slightly fuzzy/grainy.

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Review here for the lens.

Couple of points to remember

- If you are shooting 'OTT' then the aircraft could be 35-40k feet above you so you are shooting through all that atmosphere and the pollution/ moisture it contains.

-The 7D zoomed out to the maximum gives you a 'real world' focal length of 960mm due to the APS sized sensor on the Canon - would you need to be using that level of zoom if you were at an airshow where the aircraft might be a few hundred metres away?

-How much are you cropping the shot of the OTT aircraft to fill the frame? If you are cropping then that will further exaggerate any distortion.

This thread said Sigma lens don't come calibrated and you need to get a usb dock to calibrate it.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Weather conditions aren't ideal, and have cropped quite considerably to fill the frame.

There's the source of my issue, many thanks. :smile: