Discuss airshows and other aviation events at the Imperial War Museum
EGLL

Re: Daks Over Normandy - June 2019

Post by EGLL »

I've seen it now. Thanks.

classicaviation

Post by classicaviation »

If they are expecting visitor numbers to warrant ticket only sun/Mon then I hope adequate parking is also being made available. No parking permits for those two days suggests to me it's the visitor car park only which could be interesting.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

classicaviation wrote:If they are expecting visitor numbers to warrant ticket only sun/Mon then I hope adequate parking is also being made available. No parking permits for those two days suggests to me it's the visitor car park only which could be interesting.

i suspect they will limit people coming and set them up inside the site, much like they did for the tonka flypast

classicaviation

rockfordstone wrote:i suspect they will limit people coming and set them up inside the site, much like they did for the tonka flypast

Ah yeah fair point I forgot they did that for the Tornados, agreed they will probably do the same for overflow on those two days
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

sebah

Post by sebah »

I'm searching information about the photography night. What can we expect ?
Organisation don't answer any question via email and facebook.

Mike

Post by Mike »

sebah wrote:I'm searching information about the photography night. What can we expect ?

I suspect they may have other things on their mind at the moment

An almighty spat has been going on on Facebook between the various groups of parachutists for the past week or so after the organisers admitted that they don't actually have permission to do the much-publicised drop at Ranville.

Meanwhile, from across the other side of the pond, I'm getting reports that all may not be well with funding for the proposed Atlantic crossing.

:snack:

Jonesy

Post by Jonesy »

Mike wrote:
sebah wrote:I'm searching information about the photography night. What can we expect ?

I suspect they may have other things on their mind at the moment

An almighty spat has been going on on Facebook between the various groups of parachutists for the past week or so after the organisers admitted that they don't actually have permission to do the much-publicised drop at Ranville.

Meanwhile, from across the other side of the pond, I'm getting reports that all may not be well with funding for the proposed Atlantic crossing.

:snack:

Mike, do you have a link to the spat on FB?
Why so serious?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Just go to the Daks over Normandy page. Post dated 4 April

https://www.facebook.com/20573275292669 ... 54?sfns=mo

And bring popcorn.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

It’s a thoroughly depressing few minutes reading those comments.

jingernut

Post by jingernut »

Mike wrote:Just go to the Daks over Normandy page. Post dated 4 April

https://www.facebook.com/20573275292669 ... 54?sfns=mo

And bring popcorn.

Unless some posts have been deleted, that's hardly an almighty spat.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

I'm keen to get a flight out of Duxford during the event and have emailed them twice about them but as yet they haven't bothered to answer so maybe these aren't happening either. :dunno: When you click on the link for flights out of Caen it just 'says no products were found matching your selection'.....
You'd have thought they might have the courtesy to at least reply one way or the other....?
...Rad shutters auto.

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

keithjs wrote:I'm keen to get a flight out of Duxford during the event and have emailed them twice about them but as yet they haven't bothered to answer so maybe these aren't happening either. :dunno: When you click on the link for flights out of Caen it just 'says no products were found matching your selection'.....
You'd have thought they might have the courtesy to at least reply one way or the other....?

I posted this top of the last page regarding flights.

Couple of Classic Wings prices for some air to air https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/harvard ... gqK5MTyqs# and https://www.classic-wings.co.uk/wing-to ... wQZCbZxoV4

Either £349 or £879. Sorry but those prices are a bit to much for my liking.
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thanks, Mooshie but I know about those. It's a flight in a Dak I'm more interested in.
...Rad shutters auto.

classicaviation

As concerning as the situation may be at Ranville I'm sure there was always a contingency plan and that the team are working hard on the agreements and solutions.

I'm sure they realise that with it being midweek a lot of people will have booked leave, and many people will have booked travel plans to go to France or are coming in from around the world to see this once in a life time event.

The preparation has been a couple of years or more in the making, and a lot of money must have been spent already on it, so I can't see the event being cancelled at this stage.
Nikon 5200
Nikon 5300
Sigma 150-600mm

Mike

Post by Mike »

The issue seems to be more that there are two separate groups planning massed drops from formations of DC-3s on the afternoon of the 5th, the Round Canopy Parachute Team (who did the drops in 2014) at Carentan, and the Ranville drop being organised by Daks over Normandy themselves. It seems that there has been a falling out between RCPT and the organiser of Daks over Normandy since 2014.

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/norman ... 019/agenda

And yes, some of the posts and accusations do seem to have been deleted from the Facebook thread since last week.

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

£95 for a 3 hour nightshoot on 3rd June: https://tickets.daksovernormandy.com/pr ... mPJDj1--CY

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

So 10 tickets sold on the basis of them starting with 200..?

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Yep, started with 200 tickets available and went on sale earlier today.

I messaged the team on Facebook and got a reply that reenactors won't be participating as the shoot is outside normal opening hours (?) and engine runs are subject to CAA approvals.

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

I asked them about number of aircraft and split between C-47\DC3 and they replied "We are thinking of 6 aircraft evenly split (between C-47 and DC3 I assume). Engine runs we don't know as yet. That is subject to a score of security matters".

timuss

Post by timuss »

Nwalch wrote:I asked them about number of aircraft and split between C-47\DC3 and they replied "We are thinking of 6 aircraft evenly split (between C-47 and DC3 I assume). Engine runs we don't know as yet. That is subject to a score of security matters".

Its tempting but its a lot of money.
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

£95 is eye-watering.

Personally, I’d recommend getting Sally B membership for £40, then going in the daytime to get the Dakotas for free.

High time these extortionate nightshoots were brought to heel.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Personally, I’d recommend getting Sally B membership for £40, then going in the daytime to get the Dakotas for free.

Wont do any good as you will still have to buy a ticket in advance and only IWM Members get in for free.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:Personally, I’d recommend getting Sally B membership for £40, then going in the daytime to get the Dakotas for free.

Wont do any good as you will still have to buy a ticket in advance and only IWM Members get in for free.

Brian

That's only the Monday and Tuesday though? Saturday and Sunday are normal days as far as I was aware?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Sunday and Monday are advance purchase tickets only for entry.

From the IWM FAQ's
Tickets are only available online in advance for 2-5 June 2019. While the main event days are 4 and 5 June, the 2 and 3 June will also be busy therefore tickets for the whole ‘Daks Over Duxford’ period will be advance bookings only. This will help us manage the traffic coming on to site better and will improve the overall customer experience.

On the 2 and 3 June 2019 we begin our preparation for the main event as the Dakotas land at IWM Duxford. Standard entry prices and free parking apply on these days however, tickets are still advance bookings only.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

sdad

Post by sdad »

What they should have put is
Tickets for 2-5 June 2019 are only available online in advance and an ordinary membership card will not be enough on its own.