LR-Photoshop Costs going up?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
Berf

LR-Photoshop Costs going up?

Post by Berf »

From Canon Rumors

Adobe today quietly debuted new pricing for its Photography bundle, which has long been available for $9.99 per month. Starting today, Adobe's website is listing a price tag of $19.99 per month, which is double the previous price.

The bundle includes access to Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, and Lightroom Classic, and is aimed at photographers. In a statement provided to PetaPixel, Adobe said that it is testing new pricing tiers.

If this happens its only going to drive customers to increasingly good alternatives (but not better at the moment like Luminair etc

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: LR-Photoshop Costs going up?

Post by boff180 »

They've increased storage to 1TB to try and sweeten the deal.

The UK price for the photography plan has gone up to £19.97 - more than twice the current price.
The website has been updated but the "plans" page hasn't yet.

Time to start looking for alternate software.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

So that's a 100% price increase... Wow... time to switch off and just use the Classic on my HD.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Appears in the UK at least Adobe have already backed down... for now.

The website has been altered for a second time today.

The current £9.98 option has returned - with 20gb of cloud space.
The £19.97 option is there with 1Tb of cloud space.

*EDIT* Dpreview now have an updated story.

As part of a trial testing whether to increase the base product to the £20/$20 option, Adobe are deliberately showing some (apparently random) visitors to its site an alternate products page which lists the more expensive option as the cheapest available - in an effort to see how many will be willing to pay for it as the only option available.

However, the cheaper option is still available to these visitors but they must phone Adobe and ask for it specifically.

All seems a little underhand to be honest. :question:

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

If it does indeed go up to £20 a month then that’s another customer they have lost.

Another tenner a month for storage that I won’t use - no thanks.

harkins

Post by harkins »

The joys of the subscription based model that is being applied everywhere. I fully expect that Flickr won't be a long way behind with some hefty price increase now they've gone down the subscription route. I'll be clinging on to my £60 copy of LR5 for as long as I possibly can. But I guess I'm not a serious photographer like many on here so maybe that's not an option for everyone.

wallace

Post by wallace »

Doubling the cost of a years subscription brings it to the break point for me and I would abandon Lightroom/Photoshop to buy something like CaptureOne or even Affinity Photo outright instead.

I'm not interested in Cloud Storage, nor am I interested in the Cloud either so paying a lot of money for that is just not on for me.

Let's face it. Lightroom is an old product, it has a long history and is way overdue a re-write to bring it up to modern standards. The updates that have been applied in the recent past have been lackluster, basically Adobe need a good kick in the ar5e to get them motivated again.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

The trouble with cloud based stuff is that a lot of the time you wont own what you think youve purchased.

your actually only 'leasing' it, which is great until someone 'pulls the plug'.

music? i believe you dont own the songs on i-tunes, ditto books on kindle, and so forth.

you then get held to ransom when companies want to milk you even more for very little extra for the customer.
Like Harkins, i have Lightroom on disk. i trust something tangible that i can see in front of me.
i also purchased Infinity too, and have that backed up as it was a download.

I also dont trust the cloud, but thats probably issues i have with security.
Got to love Russianhardware

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Sooner or later you will have to go with the cloud option - if you want your new camera gear to be supported, or stop using Adobe products altogether

EDIT: just to add, obvs if you shoot JPG you don't need to worry about future support....

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Lightroom is being re-written, which is why the one you're all talking about is actually called Lightroom Classic now...

Still, would I pay £20 for it? Hmm, I'm not too sure. Maybe, if I re-did my workflows and used the cloud storage for backups.

HeyfordDave111 wrote:music? i believe you dont own the songs on i-tunes, ditto books on kindle, and so forth.

Correct, which is why I'd rather pay £9.99 a month to Spotify to have a license to listen to thousands of songs, than pay for a single album and only have a license for that album.

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

jalfrezi wrote:Sooner or later you will have to go with the cloud option - if you want your new camera gear to be supported, or stop using Adobe products altogether...

There is a solution for those who shoot RAW which doesn’t require Adobe CR. I use Canon’s free DPP4 to perform processing of my RAW files and save them as TIFs. The final processing is performed with PS CS6 which I purchased just before the practice of Clouding (aka highway robbery) was introduced. Nikon users can use that company’s equivalent programme. Hope this gives some of our members further options.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

id stop using lightroom if they did this. i know they justify it by giving you 1tb of cloud storage but i don't use cloud storage.
i don't like how the new cloud based lightroom works, or how it manages files on your hard drive. i'd probably move over to affinity photo

helired3

Post by helired3 »

i came across this from Twitter today

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/13/ad ... um=twitter
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

rockfordstone wrote:id stop using lightroom if they did this. i know they justify it by giving you 1tb of cloud storage but i don't use cloud storage.
i don't like how the new cloud based lightroom works, or how it manages files on your hard drive. i'd probably move over to affinity photo

Just out of interest, what is it about the way it works or the file management that you don’t like? I only ask because I’ve not noticed any differences in these two areas at all.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Paul_Reflex wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:id stop using lightroom if they did this. i know they justify it by giving you 1tb of cloud storage but i don't use cloud storage.

Just out of interest, what is it about the way it works or the file management that you don’t like? I only ask because I’ve not noticed any differences in these two areas at all.

it might just be me. but i am analy retentive when it comes to filing (im a little ocd with it). my files are organised within location, within date, within year.

i tried a local storage sample with LRCC and it just set it up in a strange filing system which wasn't easy to work out. this was a year ago mind, so it may have been refined since then but i just didn't get on with it