Should Concorde make a comeback on its 50th Anniversary?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum

Should Concorde fly on its 50th Anniversary

Yes
11%
Yes
11%
No
39%
No
39%

Total votes: 62

Euan Buchan

Should Concorde make a comeback on its 50th Anniversary?

Post by Euan Buchan »

I know it's the 50th anniversary this year of the Concorde and it made me realise wouldn't it be great to see it have a comeback even for just one day where it flew to different airports? For me personally I would love it as Concorde was my favourite plane when I was little though I only ever saw it once on the day it flew to Edinburgh for the last time. I'll be interested in everyone's thoughts on this.
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Dan O'Hagan

Re: Should Concorde make a comeback on its 50th Anniversary?

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

:roll:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Euan Buchan wrote:I know it's the 50th anniversary this year of the Concorde and it made me realise wouldn't it be great to see it have a comeback even for just one day where it flew to different airports? For me personally I would love it as Concorde was my favourite plane when I was little though I only ever saw it once on the day it flew to Edinburgh for the last time. I'll be interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

It took years and a large sum of money to restore a Vulcan to flying condition. The Concordes have been grounded for 16 years now. It would take millions of pounds and many years to do - even if the will was there - which it isn't.

Dan O'Hagan wrote: :roll:

Indeed.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

:wall:

You are aware no doubt, that one of the main reasons the vulcan was grounded was because of no OEM support? If so, how do you think the Engines on Concorde will ever get made flight worthy?
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Wed 15 May 2019, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got to love Russianhardware

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

ppgstf wrote:
Euan Buchan wrote:I know it's the 50th anniversary this year of the Concorde and it made me realise wouldn't it be great to see it have a comeback even for just one day where it flew to different airports? For me personally I would love it as Concorde was my favourite plane when I was little though I only ever saw it once on the day it flew to Edinburgh for the last time. I'll be interested in everyone's thoughts on this.

Hasn’t your school given you enough revision? :loser: :loser:

Hear hear.

Some people need to be a little more lenient. Some people might not know the undertaking it takes to get an aircraft like this back in the skies or if it is even remotely possible. We know that Concorde won't be making a return to the skies, but do we really have to respond to make the poster feel stupid? No.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I've said yes, undoubtedly, but they just may be leaving it a little late to be honest. :sad:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I can't see it ever happening (let alone this year), but wouldn't it be great...

Euan Buchan

Post by Euan Buchan »

Even if not flying just been out at a side of a runway would be nice
The Concorde Forum
A Site Dedicated For Concorde Fans
http://theconcordeforum.freeforums.net/

Post by 106500 »

Some unreasonably patronising and contemptuous statements this morning in response to the original posters perfectly reasonable question - perhaps its the warm weather? Good to see this board is as friendly and informative as usual.....

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Euan Buchan wrote:Even if not flying just been out at a side of a runway would be nice

Heathrow has one outside, and viewable most times from some arriving / departing flights.
The rest are pretty much either inside, or are test birds (Yeovilton / Duxford) for example.

Museum of Flights example is in a hangar on display, and to put it outside by the runway would mean taking it out of the museums secure perimeter. and also make it a pain to get too.

Bristol's is inside too, and i would imagine suffer from the same problem as TMoF above.

This leaves Manchester Airport's one that is also inside, but also 'blocked' in by other aircraft, which, although movable if they had to, wouldnt necessarily be happy with shifting the lot for their machine to get dragged out and over onto the airport pan, or taxiway.

Brooklands one is a test and eval one but is on a flat area resembling a runway.

Not sure, but i think thats the lot for the UK.

Seattle's one is on the wrong side of a busy road.

Germany's one is mounted on a roof, while the other isn't real.

New York's is pretty much fixed in place.

Smithsonian at Dulles has one in the museum.

Paris CDG has one mounted by a taxiway and France itself has quite a few preserved... Toulouse, Le Bourget etc

Toulouse one is parked by a passenger gate on display (you can see it on google earth, if the image is current)

Barbados has one in a hangar on display.

19 all told, survive.
Got to love Russianhardware

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Can you stop offending people please, Euan Buchan. :lol:

Why are people (mainly on the internet) so touchy these days?
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

dogfish

Post by dogfish »

106500 wrote:Some unreasonably patronising and contemptuous statements this morning in response to the original posters perfectly reasonable question - perhaps its the warm weather? Good to see this board is as friendly and informative as usual.....

As a casual user of this forum it really is noticeable that some comments come across as a bit patronising and unfriendly, especially with the use of certain emojis. Every topic on this forum sadly seems to have this problem unfortunately. Remember guys forums are supposed to be for friendly discussions and exchanges of information useful to the hobby or interest.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

dogfish wrote: Remember guys forums are supposed to be for friendly discussions and exchanges of information useful to the hobby or interest.

They should also be used for sensible questions and sensible polls. :wink:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

sithrity wrote:Can you stop offending people please, Euan Buchan. :lol:

I think it is difficult for people to try and maintain the illusion of being serious men with serious opinions whilst discussing and part-taking in what is ultimately a joyously puerile hobby. Some of us try and make it seem like something a bit grander by taking press-quality photos and writing beautifully constructed articles, but really lets face it - we love aeroplanes because they're big and noisy (well I do anyway).

Euan's question was perhaps a little naive, but what's wrong with talking about Concorde for a bit... it's a great aeroplane and i'd love to see it fly again (although in my heart I know I won't!)

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

MiG_Eater wrote:
sithrity wrote:Can you stop offending people please, Euan Buchan. :lol:

I think it is difficult for people to try and maintain the illusion of being serious men with serious opinions whilst discussing and part-taking in what is ultimately a joyously puerile hobby. Some of us try and make it seem like something a bit grander by taking press-quality photos and writing beautifully constructed articles, but really lets face it - we love aeroplanes because they're big and noisy (well I do anyway).

Euan's question was perhaps a little naive, but what's wrong with talking about Concorde for a bit... it's a great aeroplane and i'd love to see it fly again (although in my heart I know I won't!)

Really well said :clap:

I also don't expect any better from the first person that responded to this poll anyway.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Big Eric wrote:
dogfish wrote: Remember guys forums are supposed to be for friendly discussions and exchanges of information useful to the hobby or interest.

They should also be used for sensible questions and sensible polls. :wink:

Are you sure your user name shouldn’t be big Richard? :whistle:

You’ve often something to say - you seldom have much constructive to say though.

No wonder the youth of today treat you old fogeys with such distain :wink: :handbag: :wave:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I would love to see Concorde fly once again, I think for many of us it would be the biggest achievement/occasion in aviation.

However, there is more chance of snow covering hell. No support either financially or engineering wise. A lengthy restoration process and no actual reason for BA/Air France to bring one back.

Its damn sad. But just like the Vulcan, we will never see her in the skies again.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

borismorris wrote:
Are you sure your user name shouldn’t be big Richard?

You’ve often something to say - you seldom have much constructive to say though.

No wonder the youth of today treat you old fogeys with such distain

No need for the insults and I think that you'll find that ageism is frowned upon just as much as racism.

This thread should have been locked hours ago as it's completely ridiculous.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I would love to see a Concorde flying again but it's not feasible for many reasons, as stated above.

There are other "return to flight" projects out there that are much more realistic and less costly.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

Spiny Norman wrote:I would love to see a Concorde flying again but it's not feasible for many reasons, as stated above.

There are other "return to flight" projects out there that are much more realistic and less costly.

That sums it up perfectly :up: , I've always wondered why Joe Public have always said things like "I saw Concorde today", instead of "I saw a Concorde today". What did they say years ago when there were 4 of them at the BA maintenance base at the same time? Or did they think that only one was ever built?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Presumably for the same reasons that they never see an RAF Hawk operated by RAFAT, but rather they see "a Red Arrow". To them, it's not an individual thing, it's a generic description of something they've seen.