RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tmyers123

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Tmyers123 »

Andyperkins wrote:I assume Yeovilton and RIAT have shared the cost to get the harriers over.

Has it actually been confirmed that DBH paid for the Harriers or is this just speculation?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Speculation.

harkins

Post by harkins »

G-CVIX, you can’t say things like that. You should not expect RIAT to have star items and bulk that sets it apart from all other airshows in Europe if not the world and has done from the 70’s until now. Ingrate!!!!

I’m delighted for the folks attending Yeovilton (I might myself) and there’s no harm in them both having the aircraft of course. But it is a bit weird how it’s two at one and one at another. Maybe it’s the pairs display that will provide RIAT it’s edge? Certainly a hell of a gap between announcements - 5 or 6 months?

RIAT is, despite this, well ahead of Yeovilton - which itself is actually looking a bit on the light side to say the least.

I bet even the good people of DBH are praying for a Mig-21 and a 29 or Su-22 and maybe even a bit more though. Standards are high and I’m sure DBH are closer to the dissenters in their hopes than those who just say be grateful with anything at all and shut up.

harkins

Post by harkins »

boff180 wrote:Speculation.

Speculation yes, but a mountain of circumstantial evidence has lead to the speculation.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

G-CVIX wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:I can see the RIAT display being reduced to one flying Harrier. Why would RIAT get a pair and Yeovilton just one?

As much as I'm going to enjoy seeing it at multiple shows, there goes RIAT's star item...

Yeovilton has one flying, one static. RIAT have 2 flying.

I know that, but why would they have a pairs display worked up, only to fly as a solo at Yeovilton?

I know I'm probably too critical and have too high expectations, but I believe that RIAT now needs bulk, a star item, and some aircraft that are actually going to display on Sunday, in order for it to meet the high RIAT standard that we've grown used too.

Call me easily pleased, but just because the Harriers appear at another U.K. show does not make them any less of a “star” item at RIAT.

People said similar re the Black Eagles when they confirmed Waddington, or the Canadian Hornet last year. It was no less enjoyable at RIAT because it had attended another show. To me anyway.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

What Tommy just said is so obvious it is almost impossible to justify without resorting to guttural grunts.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

Don't forget the Sunday club are getting the "last display of the Reds" before they go to the States! Friday and Saturday aren't.

I'm joking, I'm joking
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

G67

Post by G67 »

harkins wrote:I bet even the good people of DBH are praying for a Mig-21 and a 29 or Su-22 and maybe even a bit more though. Standards are high and I’m sure DBH are closer to the dissenters in their hopes than those who just say be grateful with anything at all and shut up.

Time to stop praying and start paying ( and I don't mean for The Blades... )

Fencers, Fishbeds and Fitters will soon be only memories. Tornados and Phantoms too. But sadly, I don't think that there's much aviation enthusiasm left in RIAT as an organisation. So long as one grey-jet can fill a gap in the schedule then it doesn't really seem to matter what it is.

Would I be tempted back to RIAT if they hiked FRIAT prices by 50 or even 100% and put the money into bringing some exotic transports from around the globe? Absolutely. Will they? Not without an injection of avgeek at the top.

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Those who are going Sunday, dont forget your getting almost twice the amount of flying time /planes that Friday is. ....and for the same price.

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

G67 wrote:
harkins wrote:I bet even the good people of DBH are praying for a Mig-21 and a 29 or Su-22 and maybe even a bit more though. Standards are high and I’m sure DBH are closer to the dissenters in their hopes than those who just say be grateful with anything at all and shut up.

Fencers, Fishbeds and Fitters will soon be only memories. Tornados and Phantoms too. But sadly, I don't think that there's much aviation enthusiasm left in RIAT as an organisation. So long as one grey-jet can fill a gap in the schedule then it doesn't really seem to matter what it is.

Would I be tempted back to RIAT if they hiked FRIAT prices by 50 or even 100% and put the money into bringing some exotic transports from around the globe? Absolutely. Will they? Not without an injection of avgeek at the top.

You clearly don’t know them, then.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Tommy wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:I can see the RIAT display being reduced to one flying Harrier. Why would RIAT get a pair and Yeovilton just one?

As much as I'm going to enjoy seeing it at multiple shows, there goes RIAT's star item...

Yeovilton has one flying, one static. RIAT have 2 flying.

I know that, but why would they have a pairs display worked up, only to fly as a solo at Yeovilton?

I know I'm probably too critical and have too high expectations, but I believe that RIAT now needs bulk, a star item, and some aircraft that are actually going to display on Sunday, in order for it to meet the high RIAT standard that we've grown used too.

Call me easily pleased, but just because the Harriers appear at another U.K. show does not make them any less of a “star” item at RIAT.

People said similar re the Black Eagles when they confirmed Waddington, or the Canadian Hornet last year. It was no less enjoyable at RIAT because it had attended another show. To me anyway.

Doesn't make them any less of a "star" item, but does make you wonder what you're paying twice the price of Yeovilton for.... :whistle:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Fair comment.

Though, personally, I think one is sowing the seeds of one’s own disappointment if an airshow ticket at RIAT prices is purchased on the basis of a single participant.

sopwithflyer

Post by sopwithflyer »

G67 wrote:

I think you summed everything up there. Your utter lack of knowledge and nous mostly.

1) When that conversation. "We will pay you to bring it" happens, RIAT is dead my friend. Forget the rumours about other things being paid, I KNOW the speculation is way off the mark.

2) You clearly don't know DBH. They are totally boring old avgeeks. IMO they should get more stuff that is relevant to those of us that fly them (Oshkosh) not boring rare jets that people have no chance of ever flying and simply become a tick in a book that adds to landfill when you die. Guess we are all different.

3) Anyway you are not going (so you say) so no loss what attends to you then is it? I am looking forward to the Friday. It's the only day I can go. I will miss half the stuff but I am big enough to realise that life isnt always what you want. If you haven't discovered that yet there are worse times ahead for you than worrying about a few fcking aircraft.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

G67 wrote: I don't think that there's much aviation enthusiasm left in RIAT as an organisation.

Achievement unlocked: the most ridiculous comment in this ridiculous thread.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

G67 wrote:

You seem the life and soul of the party... :tumbleweed:

Theflyingschoolgirl

Post by Theflyingschoolgirl »

CJS wrote:Yup, very nice update, let's hope that ridiculously cool looking Hunter comes again :drool: :love:

Good to see Ellie Carter will flying in too - sort of surprised that didn't feature in the update tbh https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47613030

I always think that the R-166 deserves a special mention as well - it's not something you exactly see every day, but I think it was there last year too and barely got a mention.

Thank you CJS :smile: :up:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

RIAT just announced the UKAR enclosure. So if you don’t like the flying display you can go stand in a dome and pretend you’re landing on the moon. :lol:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/139578839386689/posts/2478755378802345?s=100003312109318&sfns=mo[/fb-post]

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

To be honest, i think Ellie is a greater draw and inspiration than Tim Peak, and should be recognised by RIAT as so.

Tim's done his thing, soon it will be very common to go into space, and yes peeps will want to talk to and shake the hand of a space man. (Buzz Aldrin, he is not though).

What Ellie has done, is extraordinarily encouraging and promoting of learning to fly for all young people of both sexes is a fantastic by product of her desire to fly.
Got to love Russianhardware

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Tommy wrote:Fair comment.

Though, personally, I think one is sowing the seeds of one’s own disappointment if an airshow ticket at RIAT prices is purchased on the basis of a single participant.

I purchase my ticket every year (Super Earlybird, before anything is announced usually) on the strength that I am going to see something unique, that puts the show head and shoulders above other UK airshows. RIAT doesn't often let me down (and I'm not saying that they have this year yet). But it does grate a little to see a star item also displaying at another show that is half the price of the one I'm attending! :lol:
Of course, a Romanian Mig 21 might change all that....! :grin:

Theflyingschoolgirl

Post by Theflyingschoolgirl »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:To be honest, i think Ellie is a greater draw and inspiration than Tim Peak, and should be recognised by RIAT as so.

Tim's done his thing, soon it will be very common to go into space, and yes peeps will want to talk to and shake the hand of a space man. (Buzz Aldrin, he is not though).

What Ellie has done, is extraordinarily encouraging and promoting of learning to fly for all young people of both sexes is a fantastic by product of her desire to fly.

That's really sweet of you. :smile: I am touched by that, thank you!

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Adie1980 wrote:But it does grate a little to see a star item also displaying at another show that is half the price of the one I'm attending! :lol:

Whilst I understand your sentiment, at RIAT you’re getting much more than the Harriers, whereas at Yeovilton the lineup is looking quite thin to be honest.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:But it does grate a little to see a star item also displaying at another show that is half the price of the one I'm attending! :lol:

Whilst I understand your sentiment, at RIAT you’re getting much more than the Harriers, whereas at Yeovilton the lineup is looking quite thin to be honest.

Eh? Yeovilton is looking like the show of the year
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

mark_aviation wrote:RIAT just announced the UKAR enclosure. So if you don’t like the flying display you can go stand in a dome and pretend you’re landing on the moon. :lol:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/139578839386689/posts/2478755378802345?s=100003312109318&sfns=mo[/fb-post]

The Techno Zone is always interesting. Nice addition. Will probably check this out on Friday.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Domvickery wrote:Eh? Yeovilton is looking like the show of the year

Really? I've not followed the Yeovilton show a lot but is it really the show of the year? What have they got besides the Harriers? I did see they've kept the Commando assault but like most things, at a much smaller scale than before. Even if RIAT was a bit disappointing by its own standards, any other show would have to go some to outdo it surely?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Domvickery wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Eh? Yeovilton is looking like the show of the year

I Forgot that Yeovilton had a Ukrainian SU-27 Flanker, USAF F16 demo, E3 Nato flypast, Swedish Gripen, Italian C27, Italian Typhoon, Frecce Tricolori, PDF, (appreant Romanian Mig 21), Polish Air Force, large USAF statics and German ans the list goes on. I'm usually a critic of RIAT but come on.....

(I do apologise Ukar for any spelling mistakes, couple ciders on this lovely day)