Ask Andy - An upcoming UKAR Feature Report

Announcements from UK Airshow Review and our partners
agdickie
UKAR Staff

Re: Ask Andy - An upcoming UKAR Feature Report

Post by agdickie »

When do preparations for the next airshow season begin and where do you start?
Agdickie on Airliners.net
Hey jet pilots! Do a barrell roll!

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster »

Is there any chance of seeing the F3 back on the airshow scene?
Thanks
Jamie
For ever looking skywards!!

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

I'll collating all the questions at about 5pm so you have until then to get one posted - looks like a great list so far and will hopefully result in an informative feature.

Cheers

Gareth

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

With the sad news (and perfectly understandable) that there will be no Tucano display this year from the RAF, as the display aircraft is already in the paintshop, nearly completed, will this one be sent out wherever possible as the static aircraft this season?

PS - all the best to Mike, hope he's airborne again soon. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

Now that there is not a Tucano display, is there any chance of getting another trainer to display this year e.g. Dominie or Squirrel ?

airtyphoon

Post by airtyphoon »

now that there is no display this year from the tucano is there any chance of having the merlin back or a tornado display this year only.

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

airtyphoon wrote:now that there is no display this year from the tucano is there any chance of having the merlin back or a tornado display this year only.

Probably fair to say that this has been covered off already ie immedaitely above :smile: , but I will add it to the list!

No new questions please as I need to start collating.

Can I say thanks to you all for participating at this juncture - I know Andy is looking forward to the questions and I hope the resulting feature is of use.

andrewn

Post by andrewn »

It wasn't that long ago that Gordon Brown made some comments along the lines of "let's be proud of and show off our armed forces / bring them closer to the people, etc"

I've not seen any noticeable increase in Armed Forces engagement activities (excepting the disaster that was "RAF Interactive" or whatever it was called) in recent years; if anything the opportunities to see and meet "your RAF" are decreasing.

Why can't the old style RAF "At Home" Days be brought back - even if on a smaller scale than previous?

Thanks, Nick.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

capercaillie wrote: will this one be sent out wherever possible as the static aircraft this season?

I really hope we can see it on the static display at all the airshows it was meant to appear at!

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

andrewn wrote:It wasn't that long ago that Gordon Brown made some comments along the lines of "let's be proud of and show off our armed forces / bring them closer to the people, etc"

I've not seen any noticeable increase in Armed Forces engagement activities (excepting the disaster that was "RAF Interactive" or whatever it was called) in recent years; if anything the opportunities to see and meet "your RAF" are decreasing.

Why can't the old style RAF "At Home" Days be brought back - even if on a smaller scale than previous?

Thanks, Nick.

I'll try and get to these questions even though they came in a little later than planned..........

No more though please!

Ta

Gooze

Post by Gooze »

When can we expect the report? :clap:

Height is Good

Post by Height is Good »

Any update yet Gareth? :wink: :biggrin:

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

As soon as LBS finds some time to read it through I'll send it straight to the mods and then it's in their hands!

Sorry for the slight delay, there was a lot to write up and LSB has been incredibly busy the past week or so.

Cheers

Gareth

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

We're getting there folks - just to reiterate that LBS has been very stretched (like the RAF) but it should be with the mods shortly.

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

Hope I'm not too late with my question(s), but here goes anyway;

What exactly was the reason for putting an end to representative Fast Jet Solos for the entire fleet. i.e. Tornado F3, GR4, Harrier as well as Hawk and Typhoon. I realise we have a Harrier "Tac Demo" for a limited number of events this year. However, that suggests more over that there isn't much on offer for an Air Force the size of our's. Another example is the R.A.F. Flagship event at Waddington, it has to be accepted, has suffered from a lack of the more impressive military hardware each year since 2006. This I believe is largely due to the Koksjide event being held simultaneously each year. All the best stuff from Europe goes there. This year again, albeit early days, but Waddington still hasn't fielded any heavy metal apart from the Typhoon and Harrier, by contrast, Yeovilton is way ahead; Belgian and Dutch F16s, French Rafale as well as the above and the Sea Vixen and it's looking favourite for the Junglie assault again I know it's a special occasion for the Royal Navy, but still!

Sorry for rambling a bit but I just think that Waddington as the pre-eminent Royal Air Force event should manage a bit better to produce front line air force assets as the core element, like it used to be. :confused:

all the best

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

Finningley Boy wrote:Hope I'm not too late with my question(s), but here goes anyway;

What exactly was the reason for putting an end to representative Fast Jet Solos for the entire fleet. i.e. Tornado F3, GR4, Harrier as well as Hawk and Typhoon. I realise we have a Harrier "Tac Demo" for a limited number of events this year. However, that suggests more over that there isn't much on offer for an Air Force the size of our's. Another example is the R.A.F. Flagship event at Waddington, it has to be accepted, has suffered from a lack of the more impressive military hardware each year since 2006. This I believe is largely due to the Koksjide event being held simultaneously each year. All the best stuff from Europe goes there. This year again, albeit early days, but Waddington still hasn't fielded any heavy metal apart from the Typhoon and Harrier, by contrast, Yeovilton is way ahead; Belgian and Dutch F16s, French Rafale as well as the above and the Sea Vixen and it's looking favourite for the Junglie assault again I know it's a special occasion for the Royal Navy, but still!

Sorry for rambling a bit but I just think that Waddington as the pre-eminent Royal Air Force event should manage a bit better to produce front line air force assets as the core element, like it used to be. :confused:

all the best

FB

Much too late I'm afraid FB - although I think some of you mention, especially with regard to foreign participation, is already covered.

The feature "should" be signed off by Thursday evening, subject to any neccessary changes, and will then be with the mods and hopefully published at their earliest convenience.

Cheers

Gareth
Last edited by garethbrum on Fri 24 Apr 2009, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarlADrage

Post by KarlADrage »

Thanks to Gareth and Andy the final proof was received by myself last night and I've just submitted it to the mods for inclusion in the next UKAR Update.

I'm sure it's a feature that will be well received by the readership, and sincere thanks go to Gareth and Andy for making it happen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

KarlADrage wrote:Thanks to Gareth and Andy the final proof was received by myself last night and I've just submitted it to the mods for inclusion in the next UKAR Update.

I'm sure it's a feature that will be well received by the readership, and sincere thanks go to Gareth and Andy for making it happen. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can anyone gives us all a clue as to when it might appear?

Cheers

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Within the week hopefully - it's still with me to finish processing it before I pass it over to Peter, but I've also been doing a lot of work for Team Merlin in the past few weeks for their 2009 website and PR material that will be launched in a few days time. I can't do it all at the same time unfortunately, but it hasn't been forgotten.

Should probably just explain that we're in a situation with UKAR at the moment where we're compromised slightly due to a few personal issues affecting key members of the team, hence the lack of updates on the website.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Why? You wanna join the team? :grin:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

pikey01

Post by pikey01 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Why? You wanna join the team? :grin:

could have been an inter-forum love in at Abingdon.....we werent exactly stood far from you guys :grin:

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

CV in the post :kiss:

pikey01

Post by pikey01 »

MartinNeedham wrote:

CV in the post :kiss:

slippery slope Martin! One thing im sure Dan and I can agree on...its a thankless job :pinkwafer:

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

Dunk wrote:Not really, I quite enjoy being liked and not despised! :grin:

Unlike usual Dunk :grin: