Search found 6018 matches

by AlexC
Sat 18 Apr 2020, 9:01 am
Forum: General Aviation Photos
Topic: Compton Abbas - Saturday 29th Sept 2018
Replies: 3
Views: 4870

Re: Compton Abbas - Saturday 29th Sept 2018

Some very good shots from what I suppose is now my local field following the closure of Old Sarum.
by AlexC
Tue 14 Apr 2020, 3:26 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Collections
Replies: 16
Views: 1671

Re: Collections

Any other brass-rubbing collectors out there? Thought not :sad: Not that I've done any recently, well not since around 1985. Still got my collection though! :up:
by AlexC
Mon 13 Apr 2020, 4:28 pm
Forum: North American Events
Topic: Oshkosh 2020.
Replies: 30
Views: 12579

Re: Oshkosh 2020.

Just glad that I went last year.
by AlexC
Sun 12 Apr 2020, 11:32 am
Forum: Photography Hints, Tips & Questions
Topic: Price drops on Canon R lenses
Replies: 5
Views: 2503

Re: Price drops on Canon R lenses

GeorgeP wrote:Hope you are all OK and coping with the restrictions on movement and assembly. Stay safe.


Thanks! :up: Keeping a low profile here!
by AlexC
Tue 31 Mar 2020, 7:35 pm
Forum: Royal International Air Tattoo
Topic: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED
Replies: 1085
Views: 174408

Re: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

It will not be over in July. Indeed it is just bit more than a cold for healthy people, but older people and those suffering from other pathologies will die at a very alarming pace or need intensive therapy. Differently from a flu it seems that this covid spreads very easily and therefore there wil...
by AlexC
Mon 30 Mar 2020, 2:52 pm
Forum: Aviation Waffle
Topic: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus
Replies: 293
Views: 37150

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

I'd hope that the more minor fly-in's will still be going ahead, Compton Abbas, Popham, Henstridge, (sadly Old Sarum is closed) etc., which are the only type of events that I tend to visit anyway these days.
by AlexC
Sun 29 Mar 2020, 5:13 pm
Forum: General Photography
Topic: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Finding Joseph Grimaldi*
Replies: 14
Views: 3726

Re: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Canada Water*

Don't think that the sculpter has got a particularly good likeness of Stan Laurel, however his Mr Bean is a lot better.
by AlexC
Sun 29 Mar 2020, 1:56 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: What are you reading?
Replies: 25
Views: 1738

Re: What are you reading?

Currently reading a book on the History of the American Revolution, always found that QI.
by AlexC
Tue 24 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm
Forum: Aviation Waffle
Topic: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus
Replies: 293
Views: 37150

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

BDL wrote:Hmm, that’s surprising if they were at the bottom of the hill, us Upper Plumstead types had no issues as well :biggrin:


Elmley Street.
by AlexC
Sat 21 Mar 2020, 10:47 am
Forum: Aviation Waffle
Topic: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus
Replies: 293
Views: 37150

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

What I don’t understand is why there’s such a panic to buy toilets rolls when so many copies of the Daily Mail are left unsold in newsagents. Sadly I'm old enough to remember my grandparents small terraced house in Plumstead (that's London for those that don't know) with an outside WC with cut up p...
by AlexC
Thu 19 Mar 2020, 6:32 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: What concerts have you got lined up?
Replies: 64
Views: 7181

Re: What concerts have you got lined up?

Sadly I'd think that you'll be lucky to get to see the remainder of those in the current circumstances. :sad:
by AlexC
Mon 16 Mar 2020, 11:30 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.
Replies: 2393
Views: 115413

Re: COVID-19: Your Thoughts and it's effects on you.

They were saying a several days ago that if we caught this bug it would be just a few days of feeling a bit unwell and then we'd be back to normal. Is this still the case I wonder, if not what has changed? Incidentally, I was in London for four days late February, early March including a couple of t...
by AlexC
Sun 15 Mar 2020, 12:30 pm
Forum: General Photography
Topic: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Finding Joseph Grimaldi*
Replies: 14
Views: 3726

Re: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Odds & Sods*

There's been very little building in and around Canary Wharf in recent years, but it's as if a bubble has burst and tall towers seem to be going up everywhere mostly residential as far as I could tell.
by AlexC
Sun 15 Mar 2020, 11:58 am
Forum: Aviation Waffle
Topic: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus
Replies: 293
Views: 37150

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

Oh well, hopefully a bit of an exaggeration on my part! :oops:
by AlexC
Sun 15 Mar 2020, 11:47 am
Forum: Aviation Waffle
Topic: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus
Replies: 293
Views: 37150

Re: Will air shows be cancelled because of coronavirus

My wife has just got back after going out with one of her friends. The plan was that her friend would drop her off at our local branch of Tesco's, she would do a bit of shopping and then call me to pick her up. No chance! It's complete chaos round there. I don't think it's going too far to say that ...
by AlexC
Tue 10 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm
Forum: Heads Up/OTT
Topic: Warbird Workshop Yesterday TV
Replies: 20
Views: 5169

Re: Warbird Workshop Yesterday TV

Robin wrote:Watched this programme last night, found it a most interesting viewing, hope to watch the next one if I can remember. Robin.


Same here. And I've set up to record the whole series just in case I forget it's on! :oops:
by AlexC
Sat 07 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm
Forum: General Photography
Topic: Essex birds 25-02-2020, another photo added
Replies: 5
Views: 1430

Re: Essex birds 25-02-2020

Beautiful aren't they? :clap:
by AlexC
Sat 07 Mar 2020, 5:33 pm
Forum: General Photography
Topic: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Finding Joseph Grimaldi*
Replies: 14
Views: 3726

Re: London Bimbles 2020 ~ *Bugs Bunny @ Leicester Square*

Very good.

Me and my wife stayed at the new Novotel at Canary Wharf last weekend, spectacular views over London from the restaurant at the top of the tower, we could have stayed up there all day. I left my camera at home as the weather forecast was poor, but Sunday turned out to be sunny. :facepalm:
by AlexC
Wed 19 Feb 2020, 10:31 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: Deceased in 2020
Replies: 263
Views: 37988

Re: Deceased in 2020

So sad to hear the news about Caroline Flack, another Young life taken from us - R.I.P. Caroline Flack. Didn't really know who she was, never watched anything that she was in, nevertheless, as you say, very sad to hear of her loss. I believe that she took her own life, which perhaps is particularly...
by AlexC
Tue 11 Feb 2020, 4:01 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Angry Thread...
Replies: 2135
Views: 284132

Re: The Angry Thread...

I would argue that 99% of the people "sitting at traffic lights with their foot on the brake" are actually driving cars with manual gear boxes Sitting in 1st gear, with foot on the brake (rather than out of gear and hand-brake applied as is the correct and taught procedure) so they can ac...
by AlexC
Tue 11 Feb 2020, 10:31 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Angry Thread...
Replies: 2135
Views: 284132

Re: The Angry Thread...

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Who'd have thought I could be making someone angry with my brake lights though. I'm not sure what to say to that :smile:


How's about 'sorry if my brake lights are blinding you, but I drive an automatic?' :surrender:
by AlexC
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 11:48 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Angry Thread...
Replies: 2135
Views: 284132

Re: The Angry Thread...

The days of manual transmission are numbered I think. I would never choose to go back to manual transmission. Thanks for the info,my next car will probably be an auto, fed up with the constant gear changing/slipping the clutch in these crowded roads where I live in sunny Bromley [/quote] Think I mi...
by AlexC
Thu 06 Feb 2020, 10:43 am
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Angry Thread...
Replies: 2135
Views: 284132

Re: The Angry Thread...

Indeed. I drive an automatic and and I sit with my foot on the brake when stopped at lights. There's not much choice really. Never having driven an automatic I wasn't aware of that design fault. One or two of the transgressors that I've encountered may well have been automatic drivers, but I would ...
by AlexC
Wed 05 Feb 2020, 6:20 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Angry Thread...
Replies: 2135
Views: 284132

Re: The Angry Thread...

What ever happened to people just finding things offensive and then getting on with their lives. I've a good bit of sympathy with that, but having said that some peoples actions can be offensive and even dangerous such as waiting at traffic lights at night with their foot on the brake thereby blind...
by AlexC
Tue 04 Feb 2020, 2:07 pm
Forum: Off Topic
Topic: The Feel Good/Happy Thread...
Replies: 49
Views: 9585

Re: The Feel Good/Happy Thread...

FarnboroJohn wrote:Paid off the mortgage ten years early this morning, woo hoo!!! :yahoo:


Likewise. Feels good doesn't it! :up: Well, not this morning in my case I should say.