RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
duxman
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu 05 Sep 2013, 6:41 pm

RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by duxman »

With the Battle of Britain Hall at Hendon heading for closure within the next couple of months most of the aircraft exhibits are in their latter stages of dismantling. A few pictures from a visit yesterday.

ImageHe111H 701152 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageMessrs Bf110 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageJU-88R 360043 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageR9125 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageN1671 Defiant by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageFiat CR42 MM5701 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageP2617. by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageA2-4. by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageL8756 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

ImageJu-87G-2 494083 by AJCDuxman, on Flickr

Duxman

more images here - Flikr - https://www.flickr.com/photos/64209520@N05/

User avatar
keithjs
Posts: 1052
Joined: Thu 04 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm
Location: High Wycombe

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by keithjs »

Methinks I've missed something here...? Where are they all going? Cosford? :dunno: Whats going in the B of B hall then?
...Rad shutters auto.


User avatar
keithjs
Posts: 1052
Joined: Thu 04 Sep 2008, 8:28 pm
Location: High Wycombe

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by keithjs »

Ah, thanks Brian, you beat me to it...seek and ye shall find, cheers! So I see some of the aircraft are being surveyed at Hendon then before putting them back in? Interesting to them in bits tho'...
...Rad shutters auto.

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6652
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Pen Pusher »

27Aug16
As I was in London on Saturday, had a quick detour to Hendon for the latest state of play in the BoB Hall. Airframes should start leaving next month and the upper art gallery and display cabinets have all been cleared.

1/8sec-f5.6-ISO1250
Image
1/8sec-f5.6-ISO1000
Image
1/8sec-f4-ISO400
Image
1/10sec-f6.3-ISO800
Image
1/6sec-f5-ISO1250
Image
1/8sec-f7.1-ISO1600
Image
1/80sec-f10-ISO800
Image
1/8sec-f5.6-ISO1600
Image

Sony a6300 CSC + Sony E10-18mm f4 OSS Lens + Hand Held

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

User avatar
Draken
Posts: 348
Joined: Fri 27 Apr 2012, 9:38 am
Location: EPKK/KRK
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Draken »

Wow!
Looks like I was really lucky to be there before they started to move them all...

User avatar
Pen Pusher
Posts: 6652
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:34 pm
Location: St Ives, Cambs
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Pen Pusher »

From the Museum web site -
From 3 October the Battle of Britain and Sunderland Halls will be closed.


Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

Georgeconna
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed 30 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Georgeconna »

I was Lucky So, Popped in there last Saturday with seemingly the rest of the Population of London. I remember going there in 1990 and there was no one it it!! Place was pretty busy with lot and lots of Little ones running about bless em.

I liked what they did with the WWI exhibits but the main hall was still poorly lit and some exhibits not even lit up.

I did not recognise the area when I walked up from the Tube station, The place had totally changed to awful looking apartments.

Cheers

George.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

User avatar
AlexC
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by AlexC »

Georgeconna wrote:I did not recognise the area when I walked up from the Tube station, the place had totally changed to awful looking apartments.


I had exactly the same impression when I visited earlier in the year.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Black Projects
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Black Projects »

So i can see £ Signs in the eyes of the Museums Owners

The new Hall looks Ghastly like some Modern day theme park Minus the Rides. :ninja:

Thoughtful_Flyer
Posts: 385
Joined: Fri 12 Sep 2008, 8:32 am

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

Georgeconna wrote:I was Lucky So, Popped in there last Saturday with seemingly the rest of the Population of London. I remember going there in 1990 and there was no one it it!! Place was pretty busy with lot and lots of Little ones running about bless em.

I liked what they did with the WWI exhibits but the main hall was still poorly lit and some exhibits not even lit up.

I did not recognise the area when I walked up from the Tube station, The place had totally changed to awful looking apartments.

Cheers

George.


That is the downside of it being free! Becomes an indoor playground when it is cold or wet outside.

The positive spin is of course that some poor disadvantaged child will be inspired and become a great aviator or aeronautical engineer!

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by iainpeden »

I know this is going off topic but there seems to be a move amongst some museums to dumb down the experience.

I visited the Science Museum yesterday for the first time in about 5 years. Having first visited in the early 1960s I knew the Deltic loco and Castle Class (?) loco had long gone but still found the lower hall full of interesting bits and pieces. The aircraft on the top floor still there and basically unchanged for the last 50 years - and probably the purest example of "sky" on the Spitfire and Hurricane for the modellers amongst us.

Then I went downstairs to see the wonderful collection of ship models - gone in 2012 apparently and replaced by an information gallery with mobile phones and computers.

In between - lots of open space, lots of colouring places for young children and screens for the teenagers to congregate around but far too many displays of small items with complex descriptions. I really think that the aim - as stated on one of the posters I saw - to enthuse children so they in turn bring theirs has, at least in the Science Museum, and potentially at Hendon, by using the awe factor is being lost.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

User avatar
Dan O'Hagan
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

iainpeden wrote:I know this is going off topic but there seems to be a move amongst some museums to dumb down the experience.

I visited the Science Museum yesterday for the first time in about 5 years. Having first visited in the early 1960s I knew the Deltic loco and Castle Class (?) loco had long gone but still found the lower hall full of interesting bits and pieces. The aircraft on the top floor still there and basically unchanged for the last 50 years - and probably the purest example of "sky" on the Spitfire and Hurricane for the modellers amongst us.

Then I went downstairs to see the wonderful collection of ship models - gone in 2012 apparently and replaced by an information gallery with mobile phones and computers.

In between - lots of open space, lots of colouring places for young children and screens for the teenagers to congregate around but far too many displays of small items with complex descriptions. I really think that the aim - as stated on one of the posters I saw - to enthuse children so they in turn bring theirs has, at least in the Science Museum, and potentially at Hendon, by using the awe factor is being lost.


I agree. Cosford in particular suffers from this, "Kid Zones" (more accurately "Idiot Spaces") everywhere with interactive nonsense, moronic "flight simulators" and buttons to press. The Research and Development Hangar in particular is terrible for this. If being surrounded by historic aeroplanes and the stories behind them isn't enough to stimulate a young mind, then all hope is lost. Perhaps if accompanying parents actually, as mine did, explained the exhibits and did the interacting with their kids themselves, we might still have truly educational museums that don't pander to the bottom-feeders.

Not visited the Science Museum for a few years, but don't recall it being too dumbed-down, especially not in the Flight Gallery?

PeterR
Posts: 4788
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 12:43 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by PeterR »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I agree. Cosford in particular suffers from this, "Kid Zones" (more accurately "Idiot Spaces") everywhere with interactive nonsense, moronic "flight simulators" and buttons to press. The Research and Development Hangar in particular is terrible for this.


I'm struggling to think of anywhere else inside the RAF Museum Cosford which has a so-called "idiot space" apart from the R&D Hangar? :dunno:

User avatar
Dan O'Hagan
Posts: 2293
Joined: Wed 13 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

PeterR wrote:
Dan O'Hagan wrote:I agree. Cosford in particular suffers from this, "Kid Zones" (more accurately "Idiot Spaces") everywhere with interactive nonsense, moronic "flight simulators" and buttons to press. The Research and Development Hangar in particular is terrible for this.


I'm struggling to think of anywhere else inside the RAF Museum Cosford which has a so-called "idiot space" apart from the R&D Hangar? :dunno:


The hangar which contains the Comet and Argosy has a large space to the left of the entrance that is forever being given over to this sort of thing too - though not on a permanent basis.

cg_341
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sun 09 Aug 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by cg_341 »

I'm sorry, but the only thing "moronic" is your post Dan.

Whenever I go to Cosford, or the Science Museum, I see young children learning the basics of flight; lift, weight, thrust, and drag. Hell, I even see adults, who seem to think aircraft fly "because magic" learning what it really involves. Could you get that from simply looking at a TSR2, or a Harrier, or a Spitfire, or anything else? Could you buggery.

If these areas didn't exist, how would people learn about it in the first place? Or are you expecting schools to teach physics and aeronautical engineering at KS2?

More areas like that I say!

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by iainpeden »

Probably the first time I have sided with Dan, and I do think his usual use of inflammatory language didn't help, but it is the amount of space taken up which I am grumbling about. Having taught in KS2 for 35 years I know we always encouraged practical science and design technology and the museum visits where then the icing on the cake.
In any large building it should be possible to find spaces for the "educational" activities, not take up a space you could fit a big loco or aircraft into. I go back to that awe factor - standing by the driving wheels of a Castle clas loco or by the Blackbird at Duxford can't be replaced by models and colouring.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

jaguar54
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun 27 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by jaguar54 »

Is the Sunderland staying at Hendon?

Black Projects
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Black Projects »

As far as can tell the Sunderland has to stay at Hendon as it is to Big to get on the Motorway to Cosford. :ninja:

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by iainpeden »

Black Projects wrote:As far as can tell the Sunderland has to stay at Hendon as it is to Big to get on the Motorway to Cosford. :ninja:


Surely a canal route could be found or would it be too big to get into the locks?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Black Projects
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Black Projects »

You are having a Laugh are you not ?

Canal Route ?!?

There are no Canals any where near Cosford :lmao: :lmao: :ninja:

User avatar
AlexC
Posts: 6040
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 6:40 pm
Location: New Forest

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by AlexC »

Black Projects wrote:You are having a laugh are you not ?


I'd say that was a given!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 2712
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 7:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by iainpeden »

Black Projects wrote:You are having a Laugh are you not ?

Canal Route ?!?

There are no Canals any where near Cosford :lmao: :lmao: :ninja:

Shropshire Union is only about 10 miles away, transfer it onto a low loader at the M54 and get the IPMS members going to Telford for ScaleModel World in November to pull or push. Easy!
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Black Projects
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 12:26 pm
Contact:

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Black Projects »

Winding Narrow roads from canal to any where, The Sunderland can stay out side for a bit in complete safety if tied down :ninja:

Georgeconna
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed 30 May 2012, 2:38 pm

Re: RAF Museum Hendon - BofB Hall Aircraft latest

Post by Georgeconna »

Another thing that made me wonder immediately upon arrival is that Hunter. Why on earth is a Hunter that has no RAF markings what so ever put in such a prominent position?. Granted it must have something to do with the Middle Eastern exhibition set up in one of the halls but surely something more striking and in keeping with the RAF would be more suitable. Its one of the first things you see coming in the gate.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Post Reply