Mustang at North Weald

Switch to full style
Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Post a reply

Mustang at North Weald

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 1:40 pm

Not seen anything of note on my last few visits, and given the gusting winds, a speculative look around yesterday on a run to Harlow was rewarded with the P-51 Mustang getting ready for a run up to Scotland for the East Fortune airshow. First time I've seen it this year, so please excuse the number of photos.

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

North American P-51D Mustang 472035 "Tall In The Saddle" (G-SIJJ) - Hangar 11 Collection - North Weald, July 2018 by DanB, on Flickr

Just about to call it a day when the Mustang called up for a run and break. Ten minutes earlier or later and the arrival would have been in nice evening light. I got to lend a hand hangaring the aircraft again, which is always a pleasure - thanks to 'PT' and Steve for the chat and the cuppa! :up:

Re: Mustang at North Weald

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 2:13 pm

Nice set, of a great aircraft.(What's that bloke humping in image 9 :grin: ) cheers...

Sun 29 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

Great shots as always Dan! Good to see you again.

Mon 30 Jul 2018, 6:45 am

Nice set of a beautiful machine Dan, the light on the last one is lovely. :clap:

Mon 30 Jul 2018, 11:45 am

Very good. I hadn't noticed the head-rest before.

Wed 01 Aug 2018, 10:37 am

Super stuff, and the best display of the day at EF (in my opinion...) :clap:

Thu 02 Aug 2018, 9:30 am

I absolutely love the red tail scheme - the machine always looks so well in photographs. Nevertheless, these pics are a different class, and quite lovely. :clap:

Thu 02 Aug 2018, 9:55 am

Thanks for the comments chaps. I know it's the same old stuff I post but it's really nice to have these warbirds living so nearby and I just enjoy being around them with the camera. Really makes my day when I get to help out a little bit every now and again too. Cautious not to take them for granted as you never know how long they might be around.

Fri 03 Aug 2018, 12:27 pm

AlexC wrote:Very good. I hadn't noticed the head-rest before.

Its actually only recently fitted and is removable when the rear seat is occupied.

You may have also noticed the K-14 gunsight and the gear wells have been completely overhauled, re-finished and detailed.

Fri 03 Aug 2018, 2:30 pm

Mark V wrote:Its actually only recently fitted and is removable when the rear seat is occupied.

I thought that it must have been. Certainly improves the appearance of the aircraft. I've noticed that some P-51D's in the States have removable pilot armoured head rests.

I hadn't noticed the gun sight and work to the wheel wells, thanks for pointing that out. How about the canopy stiffener now, but I suppose that that would prevent the use of the rear seat?

Sun 05 Aug 2018, 9:23 am

AlexC wrote:
Mark V wrote: How about the canopy stiffener now, but I suppose that that would prevent the use of the rear seat?

Exactly that.
Post a reply