Deutsches Technikmuseum & Tempelhof, Berlin - March 2019

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
SuffolkBlue

Deutsches Technikmuseum & Tempelhof, Berlin - March 2019

Post by SuffolkBlue »

The Deutsches Technikmuseum Berlin (German Museum of Technology) is located in the Kreuzberg district in Berlin. The museum's main emphasis originally was on rail transport, but today it also features exhibits of various sorts of industrial technology. In 2003, it opened both maritime and aviation exhibition halls in a newly built extension. You really need to a whole day to take in the museum, but as time was pressing, I spent most of my time in the aviation hall with a quick look around the rest of the site.

Deutsches Technikmuseum - Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Cessna F172P D-ECJB was flown by Mathias Rust when he made his illegal landing near Red Square, Moscow, on the 28th May 1987. The aircraft was sold to Japan where it was exhibited for several years. In 2008 it was returned to Germany and was placed in the Technikmuseum.
Cessna 172P - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Douglas C-47B Skytrain - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Arado Ar 79B-1 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Nord 1002 Pingouin II - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Klemm Kl-35D - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Halberstadt CL IV - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-3 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

North American (Fiat) F-86K Sabre - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Bücker Bü 181C-2 Bestmann - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Ilyushin Il-2 (nose section) - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Nord N1101 Noralpha - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Junkers Ju-87 R-2 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Gotha Go 242C-1 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Heinkel He 162A-2 Volksjäger - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Fieseler Fi 103A-1 Vergeltungswaffe 1 & Henschel Hs 293A-1 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Avro Lancaster BIII (starboard wing and undercarriage) - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Fiesler Fi-156C-3 Storch - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Junkers Ju-88 G-1 Nachtjäger - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Messerschmitt Bf 110 F2 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

DFS SG-38 Schulgleiter - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Junkers Ju 52/3m - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Bücker Bü 131B Jungmann - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Lilienthal wing-flapping machine 1893-96 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Jeannin Flugzeugbau GmbH Stahltaube - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Deutsches Technikmuseum - Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Focke-Achgelis Fa-330A-1 Bachstelze - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Focke-Wulf A16 (replica) - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Slingsby T-38 Grasshopper TX1 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Arado Ar 96 B-1 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

To save starting another thread, here is a selection of the other exhibits on the site. The museum is located on the former freight yard attached to the Anhalter Bahnhof and includes two historic roundhouses and several office buildings.

Henschel-BBC DE2500 202-003 - Deutsches Technikmuseum, Berlin, Sunday 24th March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Berlin Tempelhof Airport was one of the first airports in Berlin. Situated in the south-central Berlin borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg, the airport ceased operating in 2008 amid controversy, leaving Tegel and Schönefeld as the two main airports serving the city. Tempelhof was designated as an airport by the Ministry of Transport on the 8th October 1923. The old terminal was originally constructed in 1927. In anticipation of increasing air traffic, the Nazi government began a massive reconstruction in the mid-1930s. While it was occasionally cited as the world's oldest operating commercial airport, the title was disputed by several other airports, and is no longer an issue since its closure.

Tempelhof was one of Europe's three iconic pre-World War II airports, the others being London's now defunct Croydon Airport and the old Paris–Le Bourget Airport. It acquired a further iconic status as the centre of the Berlin Airlift of 1948-49. One of the airport's most distinctive features is its massive, canopy-style roof extending over the apron, able to accommodate most contemporary airliners in the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s, protecting passengers from the elements.

Tempelhof Airport closed all operations on the 30th October 2008, despite the efforts of some protesters to prevent the closure. A non-binding referendum was held on the 27th April 2008 against the impending closure but failed due to low voter turnout. The former airfield has subsequently been used as a recreational space known as Tempelhofer Feld.
Berlin Tempelhof Airport - Berlin, Saturday 23rd March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Berlin Tempelhof Airport - Berlin, Saturday 23rd March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

Nord 262A-21 - Berlin Tempelhof Airport, Berlin, Saturday 23rd March 2019 by Chris Day, on Flickr

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: Deutsches Technikmuseum & Tempelhof, Berlin - March 2019

Post by jalfrezi »

Thanks for sharing! :up:

Post by 5944 »

I know what you mean about spending a whole day there. I had a morning there a couple of years ago and only managed the railway and aviation halls, and that was rushed. Not the easiest for photography but you've done well.

MarkL
UKAR Supporter

Post by MarkL »

Visited both last year, very interesting.

My observations....

1) The platform leading to the C-47 at the Museum is see thru towards it's edge, I nearly had a fit when I looked down and saw the street miles (well, a few feet) below. :lol: Very nice restaurant there too with trad German cuisine.

2) Well done on making the walk to the Nord, was quite a way off.

3) I wish I'd taken a tour inside Tempelhof. I also walked around the outside and it a truly impressive building.

Seriously, thanks for the refresh, two very interesting places to visit.

Mark
HTAFC

wallace

Post by wallace »

Both seriously impressive places. We love Templehof and I'd like to get the tour some day.
The Panzerfaust on the Bestmann are impressive and a touch of despiration. The armour on the Li-2 is amazingly thick, kind of leads to the conclusion that it was easier to scrap one than change an engine!

Really nice set of pictures from a wonderful city

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

Great shots and some really interesting subjects to boot, my have to put this on my hit list. Arguably the highlight has to be the Red Square Skyhawk (although I am partial to a nice Spam Can).

Although, that Audi Quattro A2 is damn nice
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Ooooh, Michele's Quattro - very nice!
Ken