Duxford Diary 2019

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
TonyC

Re: Duxford Diary 2019

Post by TonyC »

I agree wholeheartedly with TT and look forward to seeing the 2020 collection :clap:
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Classic7

Post by Classic7 »

For a time there I feared the loss of a Great British (aviation) institution. I have been at DX on some cold and inhospitable days but have often seen a lonely figure with camera and long lens at the fence producing those shots we all enjoy. I even appeared in one once, spanners in hand. Very glad that DX Diary is alive and well.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Monday 9th December:

Another update from the IWM Ohka project, and the tail section is now attached. Work is continuing on the nose section and fitting out the cockpit:

Nearby, Typhoon DA4 ZH590 is showing signs of disassembly for the move North. The Newark Air Museum has started a Just Giving page to assist the construction of a temporary cover for the reassembly. See:
http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/DA4_ZH59 ... e_28.11.19

Outside Hangar 2, Spitfire I X4650 had her temporary black/white under-surfaces washed this morning and was slowly drying out in the sunshine:

A few Hangar 3 residents were also outside to allow the move of Anglia Restorations' Mustang and Fury :

Fury G-CBEL/SR661 had an engine run, while Contrary Mary was prepared for a local flight (sadly not achieved):

Army Wildcat ZZ398 visited for fuel:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The Fighter Collection have gone a bit festive festooning their P-40F with twinkling fairy lights.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

dazdaman

Post by dazdaman »

Better than a Christmas tree!

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Wednesday 11th December:

Two classics on the Duxford ramp today, 1945 built Auster G-ASTI and 1951 Chipmunk G-BBMT.

Archer

Post by Archer »

Looks like that Auster has been playing around on a grass runway!

Southern Air99

Post by Southern Air99 »

Hello all, another migrant from the "other site".
I was wondering, does anyone know which Spit is sat with it's wings in front of it next to ARCo's hangar? You can just see it in DCW's 9th December post, last image?

DCW

Post by DCW »

Southern Air99 wrote:Hello all, another migrant from the "other site".
I was wondering, does anyone know which Spit is sat with it's wings in front of it next to ARCo's hangar? You can just see it in DCW's 9th December post, last image?

That's the Mk. V replica awaiting assembly and painting. Only ident so far is 'Lot 90' from a recent auction !

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Sunday 15th December:

Bitterly cold winds today, so pictures come from another look in Hangar 5. The Ohka is nearing completion, with only some detail work, assembly and paintwork left:

Victor XH648 has the starboard landing gear refitted:

More removed from Typhoon ZH590:

Southern Air99

Post by Southern Air99 »

DCW wrote:

That's the Mk. V replica awaiting assembly and painting. Only ident so far is 'Lot 90' from a recent auction !

It appears that it is already painted, if that is the aircraft, but it has a large roundel on black on the underside of the wing similar to that on Spitfire P9374. It also appears to have green/dark earth camo. Strange for a Mk V? Unless its just the owner's preference.

Could be an illusion of course.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

How good does the Victor look with a BMF
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Amp

Post by Amp »

Bare metal finish?

Roobarb

Post by Roobarb »

Southern Air99 wrote:
DCW wrote:

It appears that it is already painted, if that is the aircraft, but it has a large roundel on black on the underside of the wing similar to that on Spitfire P9374. It also appears to have green/dark earth camo. Strange for a Mk V? Unless its just the owner's preference.

Could be an illusion of course.

The MkV Replica was used for some recent filming and the temporary colours were removed last week. It was representing the flying Mk1a X4650 which also had a brief role in the production and was identically marked up in temporary finish, also washed off last week. A permanent colour scheme will be applied in the not too distant future.

Southern Air99

Post by Southern Air99 »

Roobarb wrote:
The MkV Replica was used for some recent filming and the temporary colours were removed last week. It was representing the flying Mk1a X4650 which also had a brief role in the production and was identically marked up in temporary finish, also washed off last week. A permanent colour scheme will be applied in the not too distant future.

Ah thank you! Mystery solved! It'll be interesting to see it whenever the film it's in pops up.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Domvickery wrote:How good does the Victor look with a BMF

Well, the undercarriage looks brand new, I assume that it is the original leg but heavily cleaned?
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Steve Bond

Post by Steve Bond »

The amount of work that has clearly gone into that undercarriage assembly is a great tribute to the restoration team.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Wednesday 18th December:

More Ohka progress:

8674planes

Post by 8674planes »

Anybody happen to know where the IWM plans to display the Ohka once it's complete?
"radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

skyskooter

Post by skyskooter »

The Ohka really makes me wonder how the prototype was test flown if at all.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Saturday 21st December:

TFC's Gladiator wings have returned to Hangar 2:

More Ohka progress, wings attached:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Good to the gladiator taking a step back to airworthiness, thanks to all for the updates this year brilliant as always for those of us who cannot be there everyday!
Thomas

RogerN

Post by RogerN »

Would like to THANK ALL those who keep us upto date with ALL things Duxford, even with the enforced change of home those of us who can not get there in person can keep in the loop.

Roger

Duggy

Post by Duggy »

skyskooter wrote:The Ohka really makes me wonder how the prototype was test flown if at all.

There were two seat glider versions used for training.

DCW

Post by DCW »

Duxford Sunday 22nd December:

Duxford gets very quiet this time of year, so it was good to see the based Cosmic Wind out and about. Refuelling didn't take long !