Wanted: Lancaster Pic

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
stukno

Wanted: Lancaster Pic

Post by stukno »

Hello to All
I am part of a group which has formed to erect a permanent memorial to a WW2 bomber crew which fell in North Lincs on 15 April 1945 with the loss of all eight crew on board. The project is now well on the way.

The Memorial will be dedicated on 15 April 2020, the 75th anniversary, in the presence of the families of at least six of the crew.

Along with the stone will be an Information Board which will tell the story of the crash and each of the crew.

I need a good side on or three quarter photo of a Lancaster against a fairly plain background to put onto the board. The board is 1metre sq and the photo will be front and centre. I do not want to just lift on off the web and risk copyright issues.

Would anyone on the forum be willing to 'donate' a really good hi res pic to go on the board please. I personally guarantee that it will be used once only for the purpose stated and then deleted from my computer

If you care to search Facebook and Google for 'Memorial to the crew of Lancaster PB565. The Owston Ferry Lancaster ' you will find our FB page and web site which should prove to you that this is a genuine request.

If anyone want any more info, please get in touch. I'll check in regularly.
Thanks in anticipation,
Stu Knowles

Avionics6

Re: Wanted: Lancaster Pic

Post by Avionics6 »

Would something like this suffice?
ImageLeader topside by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr
Let me know and I can tidy it up for you.
Jonathan

andy759

Post by andy759 »

I'm sure that's pretty much what's Stu,s after as i have tried looking through my collection for him but failed miserably unless you catch it at old warden this seems to be a pose hard to capture

Cheers
Andy

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

The other side if this helps - the crew member waving may not be desired.
[url][url=http://www.ipernity.com/doc/dgmphoto/46755816]Image[/url]
Avro Lancaster (c) par dgmphoto, on ipernity[/url]

stukno

Post by stukno »

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for responding. I have had an offer via a PM with a few ground and airborne pics which I think are going to fit the bill. The ones that you have posted would have been just the job bit I think we are sorted now.

Thanks for the offer, It is good of you to offer.
regards

stu k

Avionics6

Post by Avionics6 »

stukno wrote:Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for responding. I have had an offer via a PM with a few ground and airborne pics which I think are going to fit the bill. The ones that you have posted would have been just the job bit I think we are sorted now.

Thanks for the offer, It is good of you to offer.
regards

stu k

Absolutely no problem. Glad you're sorted. That's what's important.
Thanks for your reply.
Jonathan

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Must say I do like the second one with the exhaust tracks quite heavy across the wings - gives it a very "operational" look. Fair play to the BBMF for not being as quick to wash such things off in favour of a too factory look these days, too.

BriLlo

Post by BriLlo »

Sorry Stu, can't help with the pic. But, maybe this is the opportunity to solve something that's long puzzled me.

PA474 always flies with what I assume are 2 escape hatches on the top fuselage open, the 2 black squares that are clearly visible on both these excellent topsides.

I didn't notice this on the Canadian Lancaster when it came to the UK a few years back - neither can I find any pics of any other Lancaster in this configuration. Does anyone know the reason?

Apologies if this has been asked before.

Cheers

BriLlo

cometguymk1

Post by cometguymk1 »

From what I have been told by Ex BBMF members they fly with the hatches open to keep cool and aid ventilation. The other Lancs will probably have the hatches but their standard ops wont include them being open in flight.

Will

BriLlo

Post by BriLlo »

Thanks Will
I'd never have guessed that keeping cool and ventilated was much of a problem at 2000' and 180kts in UK skies!

I had assumed it had more to do with rapid evacuation in case of an emergency landing... every day is a school day, as they say.

Cheers Brian