Douglas Super DC-3 (R4D-8) - Iceland

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Stevt20

Douglas Super DC-3 (R4D-8) - Iceland

Post by Stevt20 »

The aircraft crashed into Sólheimasandur on Wednesday, November 21st, 1973, at around 14:00 as reported by the Aviation Safety Network. It was flying from Höfn in Iceland's east coast and onboard were seven crew members.

The Douglas R4D-8 US Navy transport plane had delivered supplies at Hofn Hornafjördur Airport for the radar-station in Stokksnes, Iceland. En route the airplane encountered severe icing. The crew were not able to maintain altitude. A forced landing was carried out on an ice covered river on near coast of Iceland. The ice broke but the airplane did not sink. No one was injured in the crash.

ImageDouglas Super DC-3 (R4D-8) by Steve Tron, on Flickr

ImageDouglas Super DC-3 (R4D-8) by Steve Tron, on Flickr

Graf Zeppelin

Re: Douglas Super DC-3 (R4D-8) - Iceland

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

17171 C-117D, used to be based with the Naval Air Facility Mildenhall in the early 70's. An old favourite... :smile:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Looks like they took the wings off cobbled them togetether with a good engine and a temporary tail and flew back off the river to safety!.

thanks for sharing.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Stevt20

Post by Stevt20 »

HI Mike,

Very tragic, its a good 4 km hike to reach it from the road. If you are not dressed accordingly it would be easy to get into difficulties. Three of us made the trek with all the right gear with a 4th person back at the accommodation who knew where we were and what time we were expected back. Very Cold at midnight...when these were taken, seemed longer hiking back to the 4x4 though.

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Great stuff, all being well I'll get a chance to shoot this on my next Iceland trip, hopefully beneath the Northern lights!
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

Stevt20

Post by Stevt20 »

That what I was hoping for my March visit but the weather didn't didn't play ball and the Suns activity as fairly low..... next trip there fingers crossed