Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum 15 March 2020

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Tomahawk

Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum 15 March 2020

Post by Tomahawk »

A business trip to Hawaii in the middle of last month gave me a weekend to check out sites associated with the Pearl Harbour attack, before everything closed down. This is the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum on historic Ford Island which was subject to intense attacks back in 1941. The museum is impressive and has a good mix of exhibits from WWII onwards.

5. "Swamp Ghost"

6. "Swamp Ghost"

11. The tower had a starring role in both 'Tora Tora Tora' and 'Pearl Harbor' movies

13. Apparently the damage to the hangar doors includes bullet holes from December 7th 1941

TonyC

Re: Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum 15 March 2020

Post by TonyC »

Nice pictures and I'm pleased to see pictures of B-17 "Swamp Ghost", as I'd lost track of her in recent years!

What is the wreck in picture 10 though?

It looks Japanese but only because I don't recognise it as an American airframe but then again, USAAC/USAAF is not an area that that I'm that knowledgable in!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

TonyC wrote:Nice pictures and I'm pleased to see pictures of B-17 "Swamp Ghost", as I'd lost track of her in recent years!

What is the wreck in picture 10 though?

It looks Japanese but only because I don't recognise it as an American airframe but then again, USAAC/USAAF is not an area that that I'm that knowledgable in!

Thanks, I hadn't realised that's where 'Swamp Ghost 'had gone either.

The wreck is a Nakajima B5N 'Kate' bomber, the large picture on the wall behind is of the same type.

TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Tomahawk wrote:
Thanks, I hadn't realised that's where 'Swamp Ghost 'had gone either.

The wreck is a Nakajima B5N 'Kate' bomber, the large picture on the wall behind is of the same type.

Thanks for that, be nice if both are restored eventually!
...and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in Space cos there's bugger all down here on Earth!