Squires Gate Aviation Museum

Photos of warbirds, classic jets and museum visits
Flankerman

Squires Gate Aviation Museum

Post by Flankerman »

I've just been having a clearout - and came across these photos I took at Squires Gate, Blackpool in the 1970's.

Not the best photos prints I have ever taken - but they show Avro Lancaster NX611 and Spitfire FR.47 at the Reflectaire(?) museum.

I've scanned and tidied them up as best I can.... enjoy...

Comments welcome

Ken

ericbee123

Re: Squires Gate Aviation Museum

Post by ericbee123 »

I remember the Lancaster being there but I think it must have been after the Spitfire and vehicles had gone, as I don’t remember them.

Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

My memory also has that Lancaster facing Squires Gate Lane so might have been moved by then - or I’m confused !

Edit - the second picture looks to be facing the road after all.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.

aviationanoraks

Post by aviationanoraks »

Fascinating images, thanks for sharing these.
Good to know that both aircraft still exist to this day.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Oh I had forgotten about the Lanc.

And it must be the first Aircraft I have ever been inside - in the mid 70s.

Don't remember the Spit then.

Have you any pics of the aircraft at Fleetwood Sea Cadets?

Remember a Whirlwind and a Sea Hawk - But I was only a nipper so might be mistaken

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

Flankerman wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 3:35 pm
I've just been having a clearout - and came across these photos I took at Squires Gate, Blackpool in the 1970's.

Not the best photos prints I have ever taken - but they show Avro Lancaster NX611 and Spitfire FR.47 at the Reflectaire(?) museum.
Must have been taken around 1970/1 as the Seafire FR.47 was only there between June 1970 and March 1972, and by 1972 it was looking quite sorry for its self with canopy gone and tail broken off, after which when it was sold to a new owner before ending up with Doug Bianci/PPS at Booker by the end of 1972.

Can't believe its over 15 years now since VP441 made its first post restoration flight out in the USA :flushed:

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

GeeRam wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 12:06 pm
Flankerman wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 3:35 pm

Must have been taken around 1970/1 as the Seafire FR.47 was only there between June 1970 and March 1972, and by 1972 it was looking quite sorry for its self with canopy gone and tail broken off, after which when it was sold to a new owner before ending up with Doug Bianci/PPS at Booker by the end of 1972.

Can't believe its over 15 years now since VP441 made its first post restoration flight out in the USA :flushed:
I remember seeing a spitfire canopy ( the front part ) in a field near the pig farm on The Moss in the 70s, but thinking about it, it would be about 1977. So it probably wasn’t that one !!
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.