Antique Aeroplane Ass'n of Australia Christmas Toy Run 2021.

Airshow Photography from the UK and around the world
GeorgeP

Antique Aeroplane Ass'n of Australia Christmas Toy Run 2021.

Post by GeorgeP »

G'day all,

my airshow drought was recently broken when I attended the annual toy run at Tyabb airport, south east of Melbourne. Whilst it's not technically an airshow, there was some flying conducted by a few aircraft owners, plus a couple of visitors dropped in on their way to somewhere else. After two years of cancelled airshows and travel restrictions, it was nice to get out and shoot a few aircraft. The weather was perfect, except for a ~15kt crosswind which was too much for some potential vintage attendees. All images taken with the Canon 5DIV and Canon 100-400 Mk II.

Best wishes to all for the festive season and I sincerely hope that 2022 is a better year for everyone. Thanks for viewing.

ImageB75N1 Kaydet VH-PWS by GP1961, on Flickr

Image415-D Ercoupe VH-ERC by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageCessna 120 VH-NNC by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageCessna 140 VH-YBY by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageL65 Sea Bear VH-OMS by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageErcoupe by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageYak-52 VH-YYB by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageYak-52TW VH-WKO by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageAW139 VH-PVQ by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageR22 Beta VH-HLV by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageG36 Bonanza VH-ORK by GP1961, on Flickr
Last edited by GeorgeP on Wed 29 Dec 2021, 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Andyph

Re: Antique Aeroplane Ass'n of Australia Christmas Toy Run 2021.

Post by Andyph »

Nice George.

Been meaning to go to a show there.
I hear next years has been Cancelled

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

Nice set George and I love the sunshine. Looking out on the thick mist here in the UK I guess my Ozzie Airtourer will be staying in the hangar today. Were there any Airtourers at the Toy Run?

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

ozplane wrote:
Sun 19 Dec 2021, 1:16 pm
Nice set George and I love the sunshine. Looking out on the thick mist here in the UK I guess my Ozzie Airtourer will be staying in the hangar today. Were there any Airtourers at the Toy Run?
Arn't they Kiwi?

Or have you stolen them too? :)

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

Hi Andy. Long story short but it was an Australian design and Victa built about 170. No government support so sold the jigs and tools to New Zealand (AESL) who built about 80, some of which were sent to the UK as "knock-down" kits. Mine's one of those so I suppose we did nick them in a way. Great little aeroplane though.

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

ozplane wrote:
Sun 19 Dec 2021, 6:30 pm
Hi Andy. Long story short but it was an Australian design and Victa built about 170. No government support so sold the jigs and tools to New Zealand (AESL) who built about 80, some of which were sent to the UK as "knock-down" kits. Mine's one of those so I suppose we did nick them in a way. Great little aeroplane though.
Ah Ok didn't know that - flown a few times in RNZAF Airtrainers - which I'm suspecting was a NZ development of the Airtourer.
Tight fit 2 up!

GeorgeP

Post by GeorgeP »

Thanks for all the comments. :thumbsup:
Andyph wrote:
Sun 19 Dec 2021, 8:47 am
... Been meaning to go to a show there. I hear next years has been Cancelled
Yes it has been cancelled, I believe the next one is planned for 2023. Let me know if you plan to cross the detch [sic] to attend and I'll meet you there.
ozplane wrote:
Sun 19 Dec 2021, 1:16 pm
Nice set George and I love the sunshine....Were there any Airtourers at the Toy Run?
We were lucky with the blue skies and sunshine because Melbourne is usually four seasons in one day. Sadly, no Airtourers nor any type of Victa/AESL aircraft present but they have been at previous airshows. Here are a couple from 2020 for your enjoyment:

ImageCT4A Airtrainer VH-MCT by GP1961, on Flickr

ImageAirtourer 100 VH-VRT by GP1961, on Flickr
Last edited by GeorgeP on Wed 09 Feb 2022, 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

George

Melbourne, Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30699732@N05/albums

Andyph

Post by Andyph »

Thanks George - maybe we will get back to normal one day.

Intersting to see such a visible difference between the two machines - never seen them side by side for comparison before

This is my thread of Airtrainers:

viewtopic.php?t=80525

ozplane

Post by ozplane »

Morning chaps. Excellent shots of the Airtrainers Andy. I met the team at a show at Ardmore and they were really pleasant to talk to about their aircraft. The Airtrainer was indeed a Kiwi development which ironically they managed to sell to the Australian Air Force. I'd love to get one back to the UK but I fear our CAA would have palpitations getting it certified. Love the shot of the Airtourer two- up in Australia's heat. My mates call my aircraft the "Groundtourer" because of it's lengthy take off run two-up so it must be pretty exciting "Down Under"..