RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Bodz156

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Bodz156 »

That's nice....hope that one is the one they plan to send!

JMC

Post by JMC »

Wonder if there's a chance of nabbing the A350 display that's due for Farnborough to fill the gap of the Buff?

georgemac100

Post by georgemac100 »

Can't wait for the aesa radar highlight of the show.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

It's still a marathon extravaganza of aviation naughtiness. Embrace it... we've waited so long for it. Bring the noise... and all of the RIAT jazz. Let us eat that cake... finally.

Safe journey everyone... and enjoy the show, wherever your vantage point is. Hopefully I've got enough cash in the wallet to afford an ice cream every day.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

georgemac100 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:35 pm
Agreed, it'll be interesting to see their implementation compared to that of the Kuwait Typhoon.

mbowde

Post by mbowde »

Going back to yesterdays “hot” topic discussion. Wonder if the B52s pulling out is to do with weight and performance issues? Not necessarily partaking in the display, but as others have said especially with them coming from different units, assuming they were leaving on Monday with a full fuel load when it’s predicted to be mid-thirties?

CJS

Post by CJS »

mbowde wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:42 pm
Going back to yesterdays “hot” topic discussion. Wonder if the B52s pulling out is to do with weight and performance issues? Not necessarily partaking in the display, but as others have said especially with them coming from different units, assuming they were leaving on Monday with a full fuel load when it’s predicted to be mid-thirties?
Minot AFB (where the 23rd Bomb Squadron apparently reside) is 4000 ish miles in a straight line, or a little under half the range of a fully fuelled B-52, so I can't see they'd fly with a full fuel load anyway would they?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

verreli

Post by verreli »

cg_341 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:40 pm
georgemac100 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:35 pm
Agreed, it'll be interesting to see their implementation compared to that of the Kuwait Typhoon.
Curious to understand what you think you'll see.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

We need you to bomb those darn Ruskies.

Its a bit hot today sir.

OK we won't fly, leave it till next week boy.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 12:12 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 11:57 am
With the B-52 cancellation and hot weather on Saturday/Sunday I've decided I am not going on the weekend. I am looking for someone to swap tickets with. I have 2x Saturday tickets with the Swindon bus and I am looking for 2x Friday tickets.
It’s gutting, but honestly, you’ll regret this decision.

Just go. Trust me.

If you’re that desperate to see BUFFs, take a few days off work when they’re here on BTF. There are options if it’s “see a BUFF” at all cost. There’s so much to this show you’ll miss out on.
Absolutely this. Airshows are all very well but BTF deployments are simultaneously tremendous and laid back ways to see BUFFs and IMHO the views from outside the fence for deployments are better than inside for RIAT. But RIAT is so much more, Black Eagles alone are doing it for me, but so many hours of display flying are special.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Look he doesn't like anything other than fast jets or apparently now bombers. If he doesn't want to go.......... :smiling_imp:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JMC

Post by JMC »

I've seen many a comment with the tones of 'Not a big deal just go see the B-52's when they're deployed' a lot of people don't have that privilege. I haven't seen one since 2006 (in the air) and as someone that doesn't drive (I live in London) or get much time off work, it's a real sucker and those comments don't help 😆

bishbashbosh

Post by bishbashbosh »

mbowde wrote:
Given that it's usually hotter than that at Barksdale AFB on a summer's day I doubt it very much. It's just us Brits who get worked up over temperatues that for much of the world are fairly standard. A bit like how a bit of snow brings the country to a standstill...
2024 shows: Abingdon, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT, Zeltweg with a couple of Duxford and Shutteworth shows thrown into the mix.

nickosbad

Post by nickosbad »

mbowde wrote:
I did wonder if they were wanting to limit the amount of heavies using the runway if it is going to be very hot and potentially soft so the flying one I can understand but the static one is also a shame. There is a real risk the E4-B cancels too if it is runway heat/softness as that is even heavier!

Losing the flying B-52 is a massive disappointment especially so close but hopefully there may still be some surprise flypasts yet to be announced!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Gutted, but it is what it is. Still hyped for this weekend, still looking forward to 3 days at Fairfordand it is still looking a fantastic show.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

JMC wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:02 pm
I've seen many a comment with the tones of 'Not a big deal just go see the B-52's when they're deployed' a lot of people don't have that privilege. I haven't seen one since 2006 (in the air) and as someone that doesn't drive (I live in London) or get much time off work, it's a real sucker and those comments don't help 😆
That's understandable but at the same time RIAT is not the be-all and end-all of aviation in this country. People act like aircraft don't exist outside of 6 days in July when in fact, there's far more interesting aircraft knocking about the country on a daily basis.

For the record I'd take one Bangladeshi C-130B instead of 100 B-52s, hint hint Peter... ;)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This isn’t directed at anyone on here, but I’ve seen a lot of mention about “secret flypasts” not announced as though they’re a given.

Do try and give the organisers a break - all well and good a bit of rumour and speculation, but if one doesn’t materialise, don’t act as though you expected one.

If there is one, great, if not, well it wasn’t on the list anyway.

CJS

Post by CJS »

cg_341 wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:17 pm
JMC wrote:
That's understandable but at the same time RIAT is not the be-all and end-all of aviation in this country. People act like aircraft don't exist outside of 6 days in July when in fact, there's far more interesting aircraft knocking about the country on a daily basis.

For the record I'd take one Bangladeshi C-130B instead of 100 B-52s, hint hint Peter... ;)
Hyperbole is literally the greatest ever invention in the history of mankind... :joy:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

B52’s cancelling are a massive loss to the USAF show piece, considering it was one of the major themes and leaves just the Osprey as sole USAF item flying!
Seem’s to me that the powers that be simply haven’t got behind RIAT’s 75 theme, E4B still fantastic scope and one of the star static items

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Tommy wrote:
This isn’t directed at anyone on here, but I’ve seen a lot of mention about “secret flypasts” not announced as though they’re a given.

Do try and give the organisers a break - all well and good a bit of rumour and speculation, but if one doesn’t materialise, don’t act as though you expected one.

Remember that year the daily flying list had "B-2 x3" on it? I heard people grumbling when it tuned out to be "only" a B-2 and a couple of Eagles.

Anyway, we already have one American four-engine strategic bomber attending.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

CJS wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:18 pm
cg_341 wrote:
JMC wrote:

Hyperbole is literally the greatest ever invention in the history of mankind... :joy:
Yeah...its great...... waaaaayy better than sarcasm...

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

iainpeden wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:23 pm
Tommy wrote:

Remember that year the daily flying list had "B-2 x3" on it? I heard people grumbling when it tuned out to be "only" a B-2 and a couple of Eagles.

Anyway, we already have one American four-engine strategic bomber attending.
Are you classing the E-4 as a strategic bomber or am I missing something?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JMC wrote:
I've seen many a comment with the tones of 'Not a big deal just go see the B-52's when they're deployed' a lot of people don't have that privilege.
I know that. But it’s a bit faceatious to say “no big deal” (at least not on here). I don’t think anyone has said that. Don’t make up quotes.

But the point is that if you’re *that* desperate to see a B-52 - to the point where you’d sell your tickets if one didn’t turn up - then they are here semi-regularly, and it’s not the be-all and end-all.

You may not drive, but if you can make it to Fairford for RIAT, then you can make it (with a bit of planning) during a BTF. I know it’s difficult and not as easy to go, but the comments are being wrongly interpreted. *Everyone* wants to see a B-52, but people also don’t need to write the entire show off just because one has cancelled, is all we (or at least I) meant.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Must admit that C-130B with the picture of Groucho Marx on the tail would be good.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Tue 12 Jul 2022, 1:24 pm

Are you classing the E-4 as a strategic bomber or am I missing something?
B-17.