Los Angeles - LAX

Photos of commercial airliners
JohnH

Los Angeles - LAX

Post by JohnH »

From Phoenix is was onto Los Angeles. Namely LAX. This is one big international airport. All of the major American airlines fly in here, plus some of the smaller ones. This is the place to catch up with some foreign airlines as well. Mexican airlines, Interjet and Aeromexico are frequent visitors along with Virgin Australia and most of the big Chinese and Asian airlines. European airlines obviously bring their ‘heavies’ in, so that makes a change from seeing their smaller aircraft back home.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites hotel which overlooked the airport. Two full days were spent at LAX and the viewing was done from either the hotel room on the fifth floor or up at ‘The Hill’. The hill was within walking distance of the hotel and is really a high point along the road where seats and tables have been established on the pavement. Not just spotters use this area, but locals come along as well to watch the aircraft.

In the end, I found air shots gave the best results as ground shots suffered heavily from heat ripple. All the photos below were taken from ‘The Hill’ except those marked as from the hotel. So, on with the photos. The rest of the photos can be found at: http://johnhumephotography.zenfolio.com/p621155385

From the hotel room. This aircraft was departing to Marana on its last flight for storage
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Again, from the hotel room
Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

After two days here, it was back on another plane and off to Seattle.

lambo17841

Re: Los Angeles - LAX

Post by lambo17841 »

Great selection,just out of interest what size lens did you use on the hill?

John in Seaford

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

For 'The Hill' and the hotel room I was using a Canon 7D with a Sigma 50-500mm bolted on. It would be possible to use a slightly smaller lens at 'The Hill', as I never had mine on full zoom. I also used this combination at Phoenix and Charlotte. For all other shots I used a Canon 5D with a 28-300 mm L series lens. Although I did take a few with my 'fun' camera, a Canon SX610HS.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Thanks for info.

John in Seaford

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Great shots , is the Proud Bird restraint still there, we use to eat lunch there and the manager would let us spot all day?

JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Not sure about the Proud Bird. Didn't go round that side of the airport this time.

lambo17841

Post by lambo17841 »

Looking at their web page still there

John in seaford

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Love that Southwest 737!

Andy

Bradley@Norwich

Post by Bradley@Norwich »

A nice varied selection. Well done, looks like you had a nice day.
I like my photos, but its not worth sitting in the rain all day!