Seeking info on midlands planespotting: best places and tim

Photos of commercial airliners
Seafuryfan

Seeking info on midlands planespotting: best places and tim

Post by Seafuryfan »

Hello, I'd like to take my son somewhere awesome at Birmingham or Manchester (or, at a stretch Liverpool or East Mids) to watch (preferably) heavies landing. I'd like to hear from you if you can help with viewing location and time of day recommendations. The purpose is for us to experience being close to the action to make for a memorable day out. Day only preferred, don't mind if w have to settle for smaller jets. Cheers in advance, SFF.

HeyfordDave111

Re: Seeking info on midlands planespotting: best places and

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Manchester is the best of those, either in the viewing enclosure, or round the south side perimeter track.
Got to love Russianhardware

Seafuryfan

Post by Seafuryfan »

Thank you Dave, Amy particular times to view heavies?

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

If you check the departures and arrivals info on the airport website that'll give you an idea.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi mate,

agree with the posting here about checking times, flight radar 24 is a great aid.
If you go southside, under the runway (in the car) to the roundabout, turn left and theres usually loads of free parking up that lane on the left. Check it out on google earth.

Park on the verge and walk up the hill (100 yds or so), then climb up onto the embankment (its about 15ft high and quite easy unless its wet), take a couple of chairs, a brolly, food and drink as its not available there.

You will find yourself by the new runway, with the sun behind you all day, seeing everything that moves in or out of the airport perfectly.

Lots of stuff uses the runway by where you will be for takeoff, so its rather good.

Its a full day with very little 'quiet time', and expect to see 787, 747, A380's, 737's, assorted airbus and prop liners.
You might also get lucky and see a helo or 2, or some military aircraft visiting.

Enjoy. :smile:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:Lots of stuff uses the runway by where you will be for takeoff, so its rather good.

Unless it's a Sunday.

Also, Manchester and Liverpool aren't in the Midlands...

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

cg_341 wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:Lots of stuff uses the runway by where you will be for takeoff, so its rather good.

Unless it's a Sunday.

Also, Manchester and Liverpool aren't in the Midlands...

OP stated Manchester as a potential destination.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Get to Birmingham, Sheldon country park is a great spot, you’ll get a few Dreamliners & an A380 if your timings good and if you’re really lucky an AN-12 use Marston Green train station for free parking
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I seem to remember some reports of photographers at Sheldon Park being mugged for equipment so take care.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Seafuryfan

Post by Seafuryfan »

Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, xmas stuff duties. Thank you all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I’ll digest your answers in slow time and will let you know how it went. Looking forward to spotting with a bit of food and drink to break up the day. Happy Christmas!

Cole

Post by Cole »

iainpeden wrote:I seem to remember some reports of photographers at Sheldon Park being mugged for equipment so take care.

Was last week or so. Threatened with a machete and 2 cameras were stolen.

If you want to do BHX, there is a NCP multi-storey car park on the cargo side of the airfield that gets you a decent view.
Canon 800D & Sigma 150-600 C
Dudley, West Midlands

Shows I'm Attending in 2020:

Well Um..

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Cole wrote:
iainpeden wrote:I seem to remember some reports of photographers at Sheldon Park being mugged for equipment so take care.

If you want to do BHX, there is a NCP multi-storey car park on the cargo side of the airfield that gets you a decent view.

Is that the one that overlooks the old Art Deco control tower?If so,I can vouch for the good views from there,take a look at my shots taken there last year..https://www.flickr.com/photos/knighthaw ... 1746842107

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Cole wrote:

Thats bs, yes there was a story 3-4 years ago of that happening but last week, nope, I live 5mins from Sheldon country park & havent heard of anything bad since
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1336162833260888&id=100006015527526

Until recently I used to live in B'ham and visited BHX and the Sheldon Country Park frequently. Since they improved the access by building better pathways about 15 years ago its gradually become more of a magnet for chavvy feral kids riding stolen motorbikes with no helmets etc.

If you follow events in Birmingham on social media or the local news Sheldon Country Park certainly seems to be over represented in the frequency it crops up.

Big_Gareth

Post by Big_Gareth »

nighthawk999 wrote:
Cole wrote:

The mugging was definitely a few years ago. Can anyone confirm if the multi-storey car park is still accessible? I was told that the top few storeys had been closed a while back due to bad littering and anti social behaviour etc?

Heyfordman

Post by Heyfordman »

Multi storey is still accessible but they often shut the top levels at this time of year ( currently closed off I believe). Lower levels still available and good for shots. For a good while, no one checked tickets etc and so most people used it free of charge but in recent times they’ve started checking, so safer to get a ticket.

Seafuryfan

Post by Seafuryfan »

Thank you for the continuing contributions to this thread, much appreciated. Regards, SFF.