RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Spotty_Jag

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Not wanting to be negative, but to be realistic for one minute, this is a classic example of people reading what they want to read, and then applying their own language to spread what is potentially fake news.

When, for example, the Belgian F-16 puts a calendar which includes a particular airshow, that's fair enough to 'self-confirm' but the Black Eagles instagram post does not say that. It says they "may" (hardly concrete) be attending "international airshows" during that lengthy timeframe. It's borderline arrogant to think of all the airshows across the globe in June, July + August, their destination is the UK/RIAT. It could be a North American tour for all we know?! I therefore find it rather irritating when there's posts on social media pages "announcing" the "confirmation" of the Black Eagles coming to RIAT.

That said, I sincerely hope it's true and we can see them grace the skies over Fairford in July. However, I'll be waiting under it's officially confirmed on the RIAT website until I start celebrating, and I recommend others do the same to avoid potential disappointment.

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022, 10:51 am
Not wanting to be negative, but to be realistic for one minute, this is a classic example of people reading what they want to read, and then applying their own language to spread what is potentially fake news.

When, for example, the Belgian F-16 puts a calendar which includes a particular airshow, that's fair enough to 'self-confirm' but the Black Eagles instagram post does not say that. It says they "may" (hardly concrete) be attending "international airshows" during that lengthy timeframe. It's borderline arrogant to think of all the airshows across the globe in June, July + August, their destination is the UK/RIAT. It could be a North American tour for all we know?! I therefore find it rather irritating when there's posts on social media pages "announcing" the "confirmation" of the Black Eagles coming to RIAT.

That said, I sincerely hope it's true and we can see them grace the skies over Fairford in July. However, I'll be waiting under it's officially confirmed on the RIAT website until I start celebrating, and I recommend others do the same to avoid potential disappointment.
Exactly this. There is a significant amount of presumption from a relatively ambiguous social media post.

Until they’re confirmed on the RIAT website, they’re not confirmed.

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

The page that's suggesting the team are attending RIAT don't like it when you ask them there source of this "confirmation" as I have just been blocked for asking. I would take this Announcement with a pinch of salt.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I asked for a source and got told "from the teams pilot"... they only have one pilot do they? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

However this is the response to note....

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Appologies if my post last night lead or contributed to any of this. I had posted it in the wishlist as it was more speculitive given the openness of the wording. I had seen it being posted in a couple of FB Pages and thought it would add to the discussion in the wishlist thread as opposed to the main one which is more for official news.

I in no way meant for it to be taken as a confirmation of attending. It was posted in 'eternal optimism' as I put it, more of a hope than saying it was happening.

Enjoy your days off, Peter.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

boff180 wrote:
Wed 30 Mar 2022, 11:33 am
I asked for a source and got told "from the teams pilot"...
Luckily no one on here by the sounds of it, but a reminder of RIAT’s long-standing request for individuals not to privately badger aircrews, air arms, (or indeed, airshow organisers!) fishing for a scoop as regards participation. Even the public display teams.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10230

(I’m not saying the above group did or didn’t do that, but now seems an appropriate time to bump the reminder)

Sharing public calendars and public posts, commenting on public posts, rumour and speculation, “creative interpretation” of statements/calendar dates, and 2+2 = 5 (and sometimes being right!) are always a bit of fun, but try and contain excitement if possible.

What will be confirmed will be confirmed.

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

A10 confirmation today would be sublime.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

JMC

Post by JMC »

Has the Moroccan Air Force ever attended a IAT/RIAT just done some googling and couldn't find much, so I assume no?

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

Yes, Marche Verte were last at Fairford in 1995

JMC

Post by JMC »

Be nice to see them attend. I was typing keywords like 'Moroccan air force RIAT' and nothing was showing. Thanks for answering that!

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Nice update from the German Navy and RN/Coastguard. Colombian, RCAF and Zambian Air Forces on ongoing list.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

CJS

Post by CJS »

We're very pleased to confirm our great friends from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Royal Jordaian Falcons, have confirmed their participation in the flying display at this year's Air Tattoo.

The Royal Navy have confirmed their intent to send three aircraft to participate at RIAT 2022, a Wildcat, Merlin & Avenger.

Continuing the naval theme, the German Navy will again return to RAF Fairford with two of their maritime aircraft types, the Orion & Sea Lynx, which will be on static display at RIAT 2022.

In addition to the previous announced fixed-wing assets, we will also have an AW189 & S-92 on static display representing HM Coastguard in their 200th Anniversary year. They will be parked alongside the previously announced fixed wing assests and a co-located with a ground display from the Maratine and Coastguard Agency.

Finally confirmations for this week add to our static display, this time as part of the USAF 75th Anniversary, in the shape of the Bird Dog & Skymaster.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 11:04 am
… Zambian Air Forces on ongoing list.
Assuming that’s not a mistake, that’s very cool.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 11:24 am
Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 11:04 am
… Zambian Air Forces on ongoing list.
Assuming that’s not a mistake, that’s very cool.
Looking to knock Venezuela or if pedantic (West) Germany off the bottom of the alphabetical countries attended list no doubt!

Solid additions.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JMC

Post by JMC »

Zambia? C-27 to RIAT and Farnborough maybe? Straws are clutched.

lynothehammer

Post by lynothehammer »

CJS wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 11:14 am
We're very pleased to confirm our great friends from the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, the Royal Jordaian Falcons, have confirmed their participation in the flying display at this year's Air Tattoo.

The Royal Navy have confirmed their intent to send three aircraft to participate at RIAT 2022, a Wildcat, Merlin & Avenger.

Continuing the naval theme, the German Navy will again return to RAF Fairford with two of their maritime aircraft types, the Orion & Sea Lynx, which will be on static display at RIAT 2022.

In addition to the previous announced fixed-wing assets, we will also have an AW189 & S-92 on static display representing HM Coastguard in their 200th Anniversary year. They will be parked alongside the previously announced fixed wing assests and a co-located with a ground display from the Maratine and Coastguard Agency.

Finally confirmations for this week add to our static display, this time as part of the USAF 75th Anniversary, in the shape of the Bird Dog & Skymaster.
The facebook page says the Royal Navy Wildcat will be displaying...

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Very disappointing that the Royal Navy are only contributing three aircraft, especially considering they’re not hosting an event this year.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Frogfoot wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 3:08 pm
Very disappointing that the Royal Navy are only contributing three aircraft, especially considering they’re not hosting an event this year.
Short of them sending multiple numbers of the same type, which isn't really the best use of cost or space considering they don't fit in to the main two themes, what more would you want from the Royal Navy?

Mike

Post by Mike »

Frogfoot wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 3:08 pm
What else do they have nowadays?

Hawks are gone, all the trainers are pooled within MFTS. F-35s are RAF.

Merlin, Wildcat and Avenger are all they have now.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Until 809sqn stand up next year on the F-35, you're getting one of every type flying under Fleet Air Arm. What more do you expect?

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

boff180 wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 4:10 pm
Until 809sqn stand up next year on the F-35, you're getting one of every type flying under Fleet Air Arm. What more do you expect?
A Merlin Mk4 & Wildcat AH1 perhaps, or additional examples of those three types already confirmed. I understand that operational constraints exist, but I feel the Fleet Air Arm should have a greater presence at the show, especially considering this year’s Falklands 40th anniversary.
Last edited by Frogfoot on Thu 31 Mar 2022, 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Frogfoot wrote:
Thu 31 Mar 2022, 4:24 pm
boff180 wrote:
A Merlin Mk4 & Wildcat AH1. :wink:
A FOST Dauphin, perhaps?

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

O-2 Skymaster. :sunglasses:

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

boff180 wrote:
What more do you expect?
By my reckoning the Fleet Air Arm could provide the following distinctly different airframes:

Avenger T1
Dauphin II
Juno HT1
Merlin HM2
Merlin HM2 (AEW variant)
Merlin HC4
Wildcat AH1
Wildcat HMA2

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I was hoping for a big update today... :D I am more excited about Zambia, Colombia and Canada flashing yellow 👍