RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
roger

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by roger »

My aircraft tastes are fairly cosmopolitan, and like others I too like trainers and helicopters in the mix. And I have been known to enjoy a day at the fence at Valley, and in the past, dare I say it, Linton-on-Ouse to watch and log Tucanos!

So Andyph certainly doesn't speak for me.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The very fact that RAF Jet Provost/Tucano and solo Hawk displays were a guaranteed shoe on at almost every IAT/RIAT for 40 years until they were pulled from the circuit, I'm not sure where they are not something people go to RIAT to see. They will be seen in the mix with helicopter displays, transports, teams and fast jets alike. That is simple fact.

Add to that you had a number of lighter slow items across the years - Blue Eagles Siouxs, Pitts Specials, Beaver, Martini team, Belgian Swallows, Alcyon, Eurocopter display (sorry scrub that), Optica - there is always something less dynamic in the display.

OK this year will be a little more trainer based, perhaps more than some would like, but its not devoid of fast jets as others have pointed out and I'm sure there will be a bit more to come.

It will create some challenges trying to capture something decent of the Finnish Hawk or the Chipmunk schemed Danish T-17

Nowt wrong with RAF Tucano and solo Hawk displays either, both used to be really well flown displays. Best not mention too much on the JP displays as Chris won't be able to contain himself.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm still gutted that there is no French TBM-700 on the list yet. Frequently a stalwart of previous RIATs

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

roger wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 11:43 am
My aircraft tastes are fairly cosmopolitan, and like others I too like trainers and helicopters in the mix. And I have been known to enjoy a day at the fence at Valley, and in the past, dare I say it, Linton-on-Ouse to watch and log Tucanos!

So Andyph certainly doesn't speak for me.
Not sure I went there for Tucanos (didn't spot so much once in employment) but I saw a lot of Jet Provosts at Linton. And Cranwell. And Dishforth. And Topcliffe.

Didn't know how well off we were.....

JMC

Post by JMC »

Air Forces will only send what they want to send/are able to. As I mentioned in another thread, some enthusiasts live in a dreamworld where they think DBH go shopping in an aircraft equivalent of Tesco to decide what they want to attend the show and it simply just doesn't work like that.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JMC wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 1:40 pm
Air Forces will only send what they want to send/are able to. As I mentioned in another thread, some enthusiasts live in a dreamworld where they think DBH go shopping in an aircraft equivalent of Tesco to decide what they want to attend the show and it simply just doesn't work like that.
So you are saying that organisers don't request anything individually at all? Just a simple "Dear Country, please send us some planes. Thank you."
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

He said they will send what they can/want to not that DBH don't ask for specific things, you can ask for a B2 all you want but you will only get what they send, seemed pretty clear to me.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

One for the bingo cards, Swedish historic flight have riat on the schedule 😏😏
Thomas

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Staffers were just chatting about this - I have a different feeling than previous years.

For one thing - their calendar has been updated, and the version a few months ago *didnt* have RIAT on it. So it’s been updated to include it.

In years previous it was always just a default RIAT listing at the start of the year as some sort of default.

I just wonder… 🧐

They’ll be static, because I don’t think they’re authorised to fly displays over the U.K. mainland, but it’d be awesome to see them nonetheless!

Edit: https://swafhf.com/aktuellt/flyguppvisningar/

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I would honestly love to see them at RIAT. I think it will probably only be Static though? Would the CAA allow them to fly over land being civilian? I know they can display at seaside shows now in UK after they were banned in 2015.

Would be great to see them fly though. Not seen them since 2016 at Bray.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Very likely to be static only unless they have either changed their displays (which they weren’t willing to do before) or the CAA have eased up.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Do the SWHF not come under the same regulations as the NWHF Vampires that displayed in 2018?

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Luke28 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 4:25 pm
Do the SWHF not come under the same regulations as the NWHF Vampires that displayed in 2018?
They would, but the Norwegian Vampire pilots had/have UK display licenses I think, whereas the SwAFHF pilots don't...Happy to be corrected.

Edit. Also I notice it's the 2 seat operational training versions of the Viggen & Draken listed...would fit with the show theme 🤔
Last edited by Bodz156 on Fri 20 May 2022, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

We did a podcast with Dave Walton, flying display director where the issues were discussed, I’ll try and dig it out.

If memory serves, the restrictions on swept wing classic jets are still in force, and prevent aerobatic displays over land. The SwAFHF pilots are not inclined to work up a separate U.K. specific display.

Norwegian AF pilots effectively base themselves in the U.K. for the season, and hold a U.K. validation. Again, which the Swedes are unwilling to do.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Static or flying I for one will be very happy to see them if they make it, Bournemouth and Southport 2019 they were great to see
Thomas

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 4:34 pm
We did a podcast with Dave Walton, flying display director where the issues were discussed, I’ll try and dig it out.

If memory serves, the restrictions on swept wing classic jets are still in force, and prevent aerobatic displays over land. The SwAFHF pilots are not inclined to work up a separate U.K. specific display.

Norwegian AF pilots effectively base themselves in the U.K. for the season, and hold a U.K. validation. Again, which the Swedes are unwilling to do.
Wissam24 wrote:
Thu 22 Oct 2020, 2:48 pm

Meanwhile, our latest episode today talks about Flying Display Directors!

The role of Flying Display Director is one that is absolutely essential to the airshow world, one that most enthusiasts are aware of but that most people probably don't really know what it actually involves. We spoke with Dave Walton, director of TSA Consulting Ltd, who has been a Flying Display Director (FDD) for many years and has been involved in the global airshow industry for even longer, for a genuinely fascinating chat about what the position entails and what an FDD does over an airshow season as well as picking his brains on the state of many aspects of the industry.
About 16:30 and 25 minutes in.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tommy wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 4:34 pm

Pardon my ignorance but I wouldn't have the viggen, draken or t60 as swept wing?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

"The SwAFHF pilots are not inclined to work up a separate U.K. specific display"

A real shame, I saw the camo Viggen display three times in 2019, at Southport and Jersey it was nice to see but far and wee, at Gdynia it was a stonking full fat dynamic display with SToL demo in the middle and my second favourite display of the year after the MiG-21 at RIAT.

No matter, DBH already have a great show lined up and plenty of time for more goodies to be added. The twin seat SwAFHF airframes on static would still be cool.

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Good to see the Irish Air Corps flying at RIAT. Wonder could they be persuaded to send one of their new PC-12's for static, especially 280 with the centenary paint job, but hey, we'll have to take what we get.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Aaaagh interesting stuff regarding the SWHF/NWHF 👍

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

They definitely self confirm every year what’s new? I’d love to see them but they won’t come

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

You're probably right and nothing will come of it but it does feel slightly different this year with them updating their schedule and updating the wording that was previously used for RIAT.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

UKAirshowTour wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 5:45 pm
They definitely self confirm every year what’s new? I’d love to see them but they won’t come
Perhaps they won’t. What’s new is that they have just amended their list to include RIAT, where it wasn’t on the list before this year.

This is different to years previous where the calendar was just farted out with RIAT on it by default. Whether that means anything or not, I don’t know. But it’s different to previous years.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

JMC wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 1:40 pm
Partly right,partly wrong.
The airshow team do identify and request certain aircraft or types of aircraft which fit for a specific reason; maybe soon out of service or fits the theme.
Whether or not the air arm send them is up to the particular service.
Tommy, given your comments regarding banning people on another thread can you put in place that the next person mentioning the Swedish flight and RIAT in the same post gets a lifetime ban- it ain’t happening for reasons repeated time and again.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

Tommy, given your comments regarding banning people on another thread can you put in place that the next person mentioning the Swedish flight and RIAT in the same post gets a lifetime ban- it ain’t happening for reasons repeated time and again.
Now as Tommy previously stated its healthy for people to have opinions and have expectations because this is a forum and that's what it's designed to do.

Mentioning that someone should be banned because they mention certain words or would love to see the SwHF at RIAT is ridiculous.

I for one have previously loved watching these planes grace the skies at airshows and have now resigned myself to maybe never seeing them again so if there is one more chance to see them at RIAT then fantastic. Even if they are on static as its rare to see them up close plus I'd love to talk to the crews.
Enthusiasts have also wanted these at RIAT for years and they've never appeared for whatever reasons. If this year it may be a possibility then why not? A varied static park is just as entertaining as the flying.

We might get the Korean Black Eagles, an A-10 or even some exotic bits from another part of the globe but god forbid we mention the Blue Angels or one thats been mentioned a million times that never come
or we'll get a slap on the wrists.

You'd all p**s ya pants if the Indians turned up with a few SU30 and maybe a Mirage or Jaguar or even a Thai AF F-16?

We all need to calm down and appreciate just what Peter and the DBH team are doing and also remember that people are hopeful of some good things after a few years.
Have your opinion just like I'm airing now but don't shoot people down because they don't agree with you or you don't like what you read.