RIAT ‘22 wish list

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT ‘22 wish list

Post by Tommy »

The Danish Airshow has just confirmed a static Polish MiG-29 (and Su-22, F-16D and C-130).

Given the rumblings about the MiGs being imminently donated to Ukraine, if they’re committing to airshows, maybe this year’s a final chance to see them in Polish hands.

Might be a decent pull for RIAT if Poland feels able to commit to some European airshow.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Qatari Hawk would be nice

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Short one from me. If the Czech Air Force still has the 'Alien Tiger' Hind painted up, I would love them to turn up with that! 🤞🤞

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I’m lucky enough to have seen it, which may change my opinion, but I think it looks hideous compared to the nicer standard camo (albeit I love how absolutely off-the-wall mental it is).

It should still be around - that airframe recently came out of overhaul at the end of march this year and they deliberately kept the special scheme, iirc.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Agree Tommy, I think it looks like something straight out of a travelling funfair!

JMC

Post by JMC »

As Tommy mentioned in the Platinum Jubilee flypast thread:

I wonder if we could potentially see this flypast at RIAT? (Trainer theme)

W1lmaluvxx

Post by W1lmaluvxx »

Would love to see the French navy E2 Hawkeye display.believe there was one at Sanicole last year

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 10 May 2022, 9:29 am
The Danish Airshow has just confirmed a static Polish MiG-29 (and Su-22, F-16D and C-130).

Given the rumblings about the MiGs being imminently donated to Ukraine, if they’re committing to airshows, maybe this year’s a final chance to see them in Polish hands.

Might be a decent pull for RIAT if Poland feels able to commit to some European airshow.
And on the same date as the Danish airshow, Poland appears to be performing a flying display (uncertain, but on balance, looks to be flying) by a Polish MiG-29.

Imagine if RIAT could scoop a final Polish MiG-29

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The Mig 29 display at Cosford in 2018 was incredible, it would be fantastic to see it at RIAT.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Would love to see the Mig. I love the take off of them, has a much deeper sound than most jets!

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Seeing the Fulcrum demo would be amazing, personally I was thinking the only flying display we might have a chance of receiving from Poland would be Team Orlik this year....

With the Turkish Air Force 'in discussions', what do we think....a return for SoloTurk after 2018 or a long long overdue appearance from The Turkish Stars. Only ever seen them once at Leeuwarden, but they were brilliant!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Bodz156 wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 7:06 am
or a long long overdue appearance from The Turkish Stars. Only ever seen them once at Leeuwarden, but they were brilliant!
Highly overdue - it would be great to see the Turkish Stars back at RIAT. Every year I hope for them and Patrouille Suisse to both be there, as a big F-5 fan. We haven't got the Swiss this year but the Turkish Stars would be brilliant.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I know it's a bit early, but please could I pop dry weather on the list.

My 6 year old is coming with me this year for his first ever airshow and I think he'll be gutted if we have a wet one and not much gets airborne.

On which subject, I'm going to add to my wishlist:

1) Loads of naff freebies
2) Some open cockpits that my son can look inside.

Serious question: having never been with a child before (other than on 'official' school business :-p ) is it worth asking about seeing aircraft a bit closer? He's already said he wants to sit inside some if he can, but I don't want to take the mickey (too much!).
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Don’t ask, you don’t get! Most crews are really happy to show a kid around their aircraft - it’s what they’re at the show for!

Imagine your job being open to the public, and people genuinely interested in asking you about it - most crews love showing off their stuff (and many of them volunteer within their units to be the ones who go, so they’re usually the most enthusiastic).

JMC

Post by JMC »

CJS ^

I took my nephew for the first time in 2016 and then 2017. He was only 8 at the time, and all of the air forces were absolutely great with kids! (Most of the aircraft that were open were usually C-130's, C-17's, heli's Typhoon/F-35 mock ups).

If the B-2 rocks up, don't be asking them! 😂

CJS

Post by CJS »

JMC wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 9:21 am
Shame, that's the only reason I'm taking him 🤪

Thanks fellas 👍🏼

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JMC wrote:
No idea why there would be a problem showing a small child a 1930s side by side biplane trainer up close?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

CJS wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 9:36 am
JMC wrote:

Thanks fellas 👍🏼
I hope that your child has a great experience at RIAT, wet weather or not. I should imagine how special it feels for a youngster to get the 'invitation' from the air crew, or at least permission to step inside the cordon and get up close to an aircraft. That will stay with him for a very long time.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tommy wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 9:17 am
Don’t ask, you don’t get! Most crews are really happy to show a kid around their aircraft - it’s what they’re at the show for!

Imagine your job being open to the public, and people genuinely interested in asking you about it - most crews love showing off their stuff (and many of them volunteer within their units to be the ones who go, so they’re usually the most enthusiastic).
Yep, even at the end of the day, the crews still are happy to show you around, me and a mate were walking towards the exits and were taking a pic of the Greek phantoms on way out and the crew invited us past the barrier and showed us around the aircraft.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

CJS

Post by CJS »

spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 18 May 2022, 7:31 am
CJS wrote:
Tue 17 May 2022, 9:36 am
JMC wrote:

Thanks fellas 👍🏼
I hope that your child has a great experience at RIAT, wet weather or not. I should imagine how special it feels for a youngster to get the 'invitation' from the air crew, or at least permission to step inside the cordon and get up close to an aircraft. That will stay with him for a very long time.
He'll be super excited whatever, but yeah it could spark a lifelong interest - fingers crossed!

JMC

Post by JMC »

The Black Eagles apparently will have 3 support Hercs. Whether they’d be allowed on static (as aren’t the support aircraft live side?) would be a fabulous addition!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Thinking about Poland, I’ve always wondered how easy it would be for Leonardo to stick a few helicopters on static that were under test/training. They’ve done it for Yeovilton a couple of times.

One of the Norwegian or Polish Navy Merlins would be pretty top.

Or even the AW149 demonstrator.

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

JMC wrote:
Thu 19 May 2022, 8:48 pm
The Black Eagles apparently will have 3 support Hercs. Whether they’d be allowed on static (as aren’t the support aircraft live side?) would be a fabulous addition!
There’s a fair chance they’re going to arrive boxed up as per their previous visit. This will have to be some time before the show for rebuild/air tests/rehearsals etc. I suspect it’s extremely unlikely the Hercs will be anything other than in and out well before the show.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I don’t think Hercs were involved in 2012 - if memory searches, they were freighted into Manchester on 747s.

This time, given a couple of attendances around the place, the three Herks appear to be acting as support whilst they’re here. I don’t think I they had any of that in 2012. So they could well be a realistic punt for static, but goes we’ll have to wait and see.

*that’s if they’re confirmed at all, obvs.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

My reading of the news article was three C-130 flights supporting their tour, not three aircraft coming together to support the RIAT/Farnborough/Southport element. I'd like to hope I'm wrong, but one C-130 at the start of the tour, one mid-way as a replenishment flight and one at the end to mop up seems about right to me.

And yes, the T-50s did come to Manchester in Korean Air 747s, not heard anything similar this time though so may be going elsewhere?