Sorry, just had to get that out of my cistern
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Forum dying?

Post by UKTopgun »

I think re the number of loos RIAT provide, they are often caught between two stools. Book more than you need and you flush profits away, don't book enough and places like this light up with abuse towards the organisers. I prefer to roll with it and not get too upset about it either way.

For anyone going to RIAT this year, looking at the current list, I believe urine for a treat.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

The quantity of toilets should be based on the the number of bums on seats. Based on ticket sales RIAT can run-out the numbers, without dumping the big P (profit)? It's easy to become irritable at the queues but when one door slams, another one opens!
RIAT pride themselves in the "6 P's" much to our relief, truly a job well done! Just the paperwork to do.:wink:
If Q's 4 P's take too long essential movements are missed! Best to lift the lid on this head of concern prior to the event & target the situation directly, take on the roll of timing it right & clean-up on the detail. Remember to Log in regularly to avoid build-ups! Avoid the dunny's that've recently been hosed! Don't forget trousers-down, then flies up or you'll be in the s*** or recently added 'Brown Zone' ! :laughing:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

A thing about the “forum dying” I always ask quite a simple question - what do forumites (or more importantly, potential forumites/ex forumites) want to see?

What would make people join or return and make existing users contribute? I frequently cite “talking point” - I loved that concept, but we only ever managed one, and no one else came forward.

We also started a “pub-chat” podcast (which, by the way, if people engaged with it regularly, might mean we invite certain forum members on for an episode).

I’m quite pleased with the interesting internet thing - with so much on social media, a lot was getting missed on the forum, so I’m glad to keep info on there.

What else would people enjoy or like?

The question is not to sound defensive or anything - I genuinely want to hear what people might think. We’ve tried many options before, some (Live Arrivals, friendly photo competitions) have worked, others (Talking Point) have not.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Sorry, missed out a poo joke. Trying to turd the fine line between serious discussion and silly fun.

westie38

Post by westie38 »

My comments seemed to have caused some offence - so I've flushed them. Apologies.
Last edited by westie38 on Wed 18 May 2022, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Mildenhall in the 70’s were pretty basic; deep trenches with canvas screens.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I would start by moderating what you already have. Then build from there.

You want to be welcoming of new people? Well there's one thread in Aviation Waffle' that to be fair, after two pages, should be deleted. Or at the very least, trimmed.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

parsley
UKAR Supporter

Post by parsley »

Stagger2 wrote:
Mon 16 May 2022, 10:20 am
The quantity of toilets should be based on the the number of bums on seats. Based on ticket sales RIAT can run-out the numbers, without dumping the big P (profit)? It's easy to become irritable at the queues but when one door slams, another one opens!
RIAT pride themselves in the "6 P's" much to our relief, truly a job well done! Just the paperwork to do.:wink:
If Q's 4 P's take too long essential movements are missed! Best to lift the lid on this head of concern prior to the event & target the situation directly, take on the roll of timing it right & clean-up on the detail. Remember to Log in regularly to avoid build-ups! Avoid the dunny's that've recently been hosed! Don't forget trousers-down, then flies up or you'll be in the s*** or recently added 'Brown Zone' ! :laughing:
Work is already underway regarding the lavatory facilities.I noted when up there for the B52's recently that cables were already being laid on the airfield.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I think with the imminent disappearance of the type from many of the major users we should all call for a special event this year.

the "Pee Free Parade"

With the Germans the only regular attendee with the type over recent times, (perhaps we could let the Canadians participate, sneak Aurora in the dark and blame it on someone else?), I'm sure we could have more openly available, a shiny Brazilian perhaps, waxed and polished for the Concours? A bushy Kiwi viewed from down under? Imagine the Americans showing off a couple of their last Aries? A Japanese tester with all its knobbly bits. I'd expect a few leaks under the wings from some of the old girls, especially if they let it run for the whole six days. If we could get Greece, Spain and Portugal onboard too, we can have a really good turnout.

Maybe it can be held back to 2025, just imagine that special paint of a Golden Iranian?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

capercaillie wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 1:18 pm
I think with the imminent disappearance of the type from many of the major users we should all call for a special event this year.

the "Pee Free Parade"

With the Germans the only regular attendee with the type over recent times, (perhaps we could let the Canadians participate, sneak Aurora in the dark and blame it on someone else?), I'm sure we could have more openly available, a shiny Brazilian perhaps, waxed and polished for the Concours? A bushy Kiwi viewed from down under? Imagine the Americans showing off a couple of their last Aries? A Japanese tester with all its knobbly bits. I'd expect a few leaks under the wings from some of the old girls, especially if they let it run for the whole six days. If we could get Greece, Spain and Portugal onboard too, we can have a really good turnout.

Maybe it can be held back to 2025, just imagine that special paint of a Golden Iranian?
Hmmm; do I say hilarious but a bit on the naughty side, or feign ignorance and say I don’t understand?
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

stonojnr

Post by stonojnr »

spellow3010 wrote:
Wed 18 May 2022, 7:12 am
I would start by moderating what you already have. Then build from there.

You want to be welcoming of new people? Well there's one thread in Aviation Waffle' that to be fair, after two pages, should be deleted. Or at the very least, trimmed.
but its stuff like that puts me off contributing to a forum, why delete a thread ? as long as people are being respectful to each other in their discourse and arent trolling each other, and those that arent can be reported and dealt with by moderation, I dont see why any topic shouldnt be up for discussion, if people want to talk about it sensibly, let them.

its when we literally have topics people decide we cant discuss anymore and want to delete, even though anyone who has a passing interest in aviation or air show displays, knows about it, so pretending it doesnt exist by ignoring it doesnt actually really help anybody, it just makes it seem like everyone is walking on eggshells all the time.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Generally people only want threads deleting when it doesn't agree with their point of view.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Spot-on cg_341! Don't like it, then don't read it & certainly don't post in it. If a 'wasted topic' is the prevailing point of view, then the the topic dies naturally? No need to cull. :slight_smile: