RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RIAT Air Ops

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 10:21 am
By my count, not including spares for flying display aircraft, we're up to 151 aircraft for the show.
Just done my count of our internal list, to include in my briefing to the volunteer team managers at our progress meeting tomorrow morning, which is currently sitting at 243 aircraft. Admittedly, our list includes spare airframes, support aircraft and visitors, but a very healthy number for this stage of the game with eight weeks to go and all the team putting in lots of hard work.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 8:43 pm
cg_341 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 10:21 am
By my count, not including spares for flying display aircraft, we're up to 151 aircraft for the show.
Just done my count of our internal list, to include in my briefing to the volunteer team managers at our progress meeting tomorrow morning, which is currently sitting at 243 aircraft. Admittedly, our list includes spare airframes, support aircraft and visitors, but a very healthy number for this stage of the game with eight weeks to go and all the team putting in lots of hard work.
Your list far more official than mine so I'll go with that - thanks Peter!

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Speculation of the highest order here but I was just about to drop off to sleep and a thought popped into my head were by I do wonder with the SK60 and Gripen D being in the static display, if possibly, maybe, perhaps DBH thought it might be a unique opportunity to get the 105, Lansen, Draken, Vigen and Gripen together.

Yeah yeah, I know they're not coming..... And this belongs in the wish list thread.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Luke28 wrote:
Fri 20 May 2022, 9:49 pm
Speculation of the highest order here but I was just about to drop off to sleep and a thought popped into my head were by I do wonder with the SK60 and Gripen D being in the static display, if possibly, maybe, perhaps DBH thought it might be a unique opportunity to get the 105, Lansen, Draken, Vigen and Gripen together.

Yeah yeah, I know they're not coming..... And this belongs in the wish list thread.
Cue whinging they're not all flying, and 'they're wasted in static park'. Dbh can never win :joy:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I had the great pleasure of watching Mustang X-Ray today and no kidding, you are in for a treat. It is quite a complete display with formation work, opposition passes and then some tactical training stuff. The PC21 is a proper little rocketship but can also keep it close to the audience. I wouldn't be quite so sceptical if I were (some of) you, they may just pleasantly surprise you!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Chrisse wrote:
Sat 21 May 2022, 7:18 pm
I had the great pleasure of watching Mustang X-Ray today and no kidding, you are in for a treat. It is quite a complete display with formation work, opposition passes and then some tactical training stuff. The PC21 is a proper little rocketship but can also keep it close to the audience. I wouldn't be quite so sceptical if I were (some of) you, they may just pleasantly surprise you!
I dont doubt their ability to put on a darn good display, however....what i do doubt is their ability to stretch their display the length of Fairfords runway, and keep the public interested long enough, while they turn and come back etc etc.
Got to love Russianhardware

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Sat 21 May 2022, 9:12 pm
Chrisse wrote:
Sat 21 May 2022, 7:18 pm
I dont doubt their ability to put on a darn good display, however....what i do doubt is their ability to stretch their display the length of Fairfords runway, and keep the public interested long enough, while they turn and come back etc etc.
I have to agree with the fact about Fairford's runway. I've never seen them nor the Irish team, so looking forward to seeing both. For me hopefully that's enough small prop displays now. A few more fast jets/heavies in the flying display hopefully.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

The line-up is looking great so far IMO. I love all the turbo-props. There's loads of charismatic types in the static park that will disappear before we know it so I'm going to enjoy it all.

We were never going to get dozens of Flankers and MiGs, we had the Harriers after a LONG wait, what makes people think that we're suddenly going to them all again this year? It was only a few months ago where the show feasibly could have been binned because of the problems in Ukraine.

Stand out items are usually stand out to most enthusiasts because they are RARE. There's plenty of stand out items in the flying display for me. Hopefully we'll get a couple more fast jets in there, the Black Eagles confirm, and the American's are nice to us, but if they don't, it's still the best airshow in the UK by a long, long way.

This runway length/display distance doesn't really fly with me and makes me think that most people saying this are thinking with their lenses when perhaps they should just enjoy some really unique and special displays.

Can't wait for the show. The only bad update is one with lots of cancellations.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I was bored at work yesterday and going through some old threads. This first comment from a RIAT 2009 thread made me laugh.

"6 F18s and not one on static, 2 Rafales and no static"

This isnt aimed at a anybody in particular, just to show how the complaints have evolved over time.

verreli

Post by verreli »

G-CVIX wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 10:20 am
... it's still the best airshow in the UK by a long, long way.
Can anybody name a better military airshow in the world this year? If you like recreational aircraft there's nothing to beat Oshkosh but RIAT is unique in its ability to attract a global attendance from foreign air arms.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Can anyone recommend something interesting to see/do on the ground after I've finished looking at all the static aircraft? As I am not a fan of prop aircraft and aerobatic teams I will have a lot of time to use up while they display.
Also how do you get the daily movements sheet? The display schedule insdie the RIAT programme for 2018 and 2019 was totally inaccurate

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 9:39 pm
Can anyone recommend something interesting to see/do on the ground after I've finished looking at all the static aircraft?
Go home...?

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Can anyone recommend something interesting to see/do on the ground after I've finished looking at all the static aircraft? As I am not a fan of prop aircraft and aerobatic teams I will have a lot of time to use up while they display.
Also how do you get the daily movements sheet? The display schedule insdie the RIAT programme for 2018 and 2019 was totally inaccurate
I guess you could browse all the stalls and go to the different zones like Techno and Vintage etc.

Or you could just sit back and watch the display anyway. Helicopters aren't really my thing outside of the Sea-King and Apache (And the S92 as I see it all the time) but I am excited anyway as a lot of it is new to me.

The static alone could take the full day if you stop to talk to crews and go inside the aircraft that are open.

The issue with Daily movements sheet, they are correct at time of printing, however things can change massively at even a seaside show, so you can imagine how it is for one of the biggest military shows in the world.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Sun 22 May 2022, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
As I am not a fan of prop aircraft and aerobatic teams I will have a lot of time to use up while they display.
Also how do you get the daily movements sheet?
I would respectfully suggest giving a chance to displays such as the Swiss Air Force PC-7 Team (one of Europe's best aerobatic teams) & the Slovenian PC-9M (winner of 2 RIAT display awards in the past) for example. It's actually much harder to fly formation aerobatics in a prop trainer than an F-16....wind effect, lack of power for formation changes etc. I also can't imagine anyone wanting to do anything else *if* The Black Eagles team make it & are up doing their thing....

As for movement sheets, be in FRIAT is the answer there I think....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Can anyone recommend something interesting to see/do on the ground after I've finished looking at all the static aircraft?
Are you any good at break dancing? Could earn a few quid.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

I do fully understand and appreciate the fact that Turboprops are part of the variety, but I do hope that no more are announced to what's confirmed so far. I'm bringing 6 first timers, whom aren't enthusiasts, so I'm hoping for a few more fast jet displays along with the usual heavy or two and Osprey.

And how come it's all a sudden an issue for the French fast jet demo teams to attend around Bastille day? In 2018 we had both the Rafale demos along with the Mirage pair, Bastille day was on the Saturday.
Fast jet fanatic.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Bodz156 wrote:
Sun 22 May 2022, 10:06 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
As I am not a fan of prop aircraft and aerobatic teams I will have a lot of time to use up while they display.
Also how do you get the daily movements sheet?
I would respectfully suggest giving a chance to displays such as the Swiss Air Force PC-7 Team (one of Europe's best aerobatic teams) & the Slovenian PC-9M (winner of 2 RIAT display awards in the past) for example. It's actually much harder to fly formation aerobatics in a prop trainer than an F-16....wind effect, lack of power for formation changes etc. I also can't imagine anyone wanting to do anything else *if* The Black Eagles team make it & are up doing their thing....

As for movement sheets, be in FRIAT is the answer there I think....
Additionally, the Silver Swallows, displaying at RIAT for the first time in 25 years (albeit on different aircraft) and likely a one-off as they've only formed for the anniversary year as far as I can tell. The PC-21 duo has also been received very well so definitely worth a watch.

I mean, there's absolutely loads to do on the ground... I also highly doubt that the flying display will be structured in a way that means you're going to have long periods of time where nothing interests you!

Just sit back with a bite to eat and enjoy the intricacies of the displays.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

From the official confirmed list (not self confirms.etc) right now there are 8 displays with reheat.

Not counting the flyover in 2019 there were 10. In 2017 there were 12 (including the Thunderbirds).

With 7 weeks to go, that figure can be easily matched and surpassed.

It was 2018 when we saw 15 displays. I’d suggest that’s the exception rather than the normal and shouldn’t be expected every year.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I also doubt that any sensible display organiser (unless trying to build something wider, and/or doesn’t have any other choice) would just put back-to-back displays of turboprops to enable you two hours to walk the static, let along kick your heels and find something else to do.

As for the programme/flying list, keep a sharp ear on the commentary for any changes, but if you’re in FRIAT, you get a list printed the night before (rather than a week before per the programme) which tends to be slightly more accurate.

Give the training aircraft a chance - they might not be full-fat fast jets, but honestly, all of them are really class acts and previous RIAT award winners, many of them are either debuts, or otherwise ridiculously rare, or have not displayed in the U.K. for decades.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Black eagles confirmed by RIAT on twitter! first time seeing them cannot wait!
Thomas

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Insane. Star participant right there.

I know there have been inklings and press leaks, but it’s always fantastic to have it confirmed.

👏🏻

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

It's remarkable how quickly we slip back to "normal" - during the lockdown, we were all desperate to get out an expereince any kind of airshow or aviation experience but, before you know it, we are back to the normal "glass half empty", "too many turbo prop" "time to go to the loo" comments.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Amazing news on The Black Eagles!! 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Hopefully some of the grumbles will stop now 🤞

DanH

Post by DanH »

Awesome news about the Black Eagles.

I seem to recall that the last time they were here in 2012 the jets were shipped over in cargo planes and reassembled at an RAF base for test flights. I wonder what the plan is this time?
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/