All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
snicker01

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by snicker01 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 1:30 pm
Witchcraft24 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:11 pm
Not sure why there is this concentration on fighter types ? I’ve been attending since 1998 and this year I finally get to see Austrian Typhoons!
The Rafale and USAF stuff will be back, but the Austrians? Not so sure….

There seems to be a lack of interest in the helicopters on this thread , yet when the Czech demo attended Biggin Hill and Sanicole, people on here were wetting themselves. Little mention of the Hungarian Mil and Polish Sokol on here - both demos that have had people screaming “why not RIAT?” in the past, when appearing elsewhere.

“No star item”…. So the Koreans, the best display team I have ever seen, are almost dismissed here by some because they turned up once before.

And the immediate questioning of why an Air Force isn’t sending X, because RIAT has secured Y, baffles me….

No show for three years and a war in Ukraine - but all some people want to look at is what isn’t coming rather all the stuff that is ?
Totally agree, it's bizarre.
To be honest i have seen mostly support for this years display. There have been a few gripes about the lack of fighter types (including from myself) but i cannot dispute the quality this year.

I am sure if you were to take a straw poll, most would prefer a varied selection of fighters over choppers. However its a nice change

This is a forum where like minded people should feel safe to express opinion in a mature manner. It needn't be a sychophantic love in with the show organisers. No doubt the organisers do a great job (they have done a fantastic job keeping us up to date this year) but there is nothing wrong with discussing why what how when.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Omani C-295 Persuader went into Brize Norton. Looks like the first RIAT arrival

georgemac100

Post by georgemac100 »

I mainly attend for the fast jets, got to say its disappointing this year. The normal chinook and apache display would be fine for the helicopters. Any more would be over kill, some of the " display" teams feel like fillers and I don't think would have been considered in past years. The Swedish historic flight final making it to the show only to be static is very disappointing.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

I’ll have to be honest, for years I’ve had little interest in helicopters or props. I mainly went for the jets and heavies.

This year however, I feel totally different. Whether it’s just the lack of spotting anything military that doesn’t have UK markings over the last three years or not, I’m genuinely looking forward to types such as the NH90, Mi-171, Mi-24 and others. I appreciate that we are in difficult times and if an air arm is able to muster up even a single aircraft to attend, then that’s top marks for me, regardless of if it’s flying or in the static, or if it’s got a burner or not.

In all, I’m looking forward to Fairford in a couple of weeks, and bring on the jets/heavies/copters/trainers! In the ten years I’ve been going to RIAT, I don’t think I’ve ever anticipated one more!
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

CJS

Post by CJS »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 4:24 pm
Apart from the South Koreans you mean? In bits I know, but still...
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 4:24 pm
Aircraft don’t arrive over 2 weeks early for an airshow static display.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Wrong variant I think anyway, I believe we are getting one of the all-grey MPA ones (Peter please correct if I’ve got that wrong).
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Have to agree people seem to be complaining even though we haven’t had a show for several years it’s like no matter what’s booked to attend people just want everything that isn’t coming. I’m not a massive helicopter person but looking forward to the hinds and stuff I’m just happy I get to be at the show again. The Finnish hawk and seeing a kc-46 for the first time is also a big one for me but 8 hours of flying I’m going to enjoy it all

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

I love the variety that RIAT brings. Some fast jets, some helicopters, some trainers, the odd heavy. If a show had just a day of fast jets, it wouldn't interest me, I think they'd get tedious half way through the day, you'd be begging for a TBM 700! :wink:
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

W1lmaluvxx

Post by W1lmaluvxx »

Hey,I was going to type that😀👍

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

As I’m doing the full week I’m looking forward to a lot. I always love seeing the f-15s, the Belgian f-16 was awesome at cosford, the German tornados, the Skyhawk, honestly I just can’t wait now

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

I just wanted to reply to a couple of people on here, who mentioned getting anxious at attending the show. I suffer from Anxiety, and even though its a lot better, I still have my moments. If youve not been to Fairford before, please be assured there are plenty of open spaces with no crowd on the site where you can just retreat to, and still enjoy the planes flying, even on a Saturday. The car parks are only around a 10-15 minute walk away so you can take a bit of time out there too. And remember, by even just attending youve done brilliant.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Mr Benn wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 7:01 am
I just wanted to reply to a couple of people on here, who mentioned getting anxious at attending the show. I suffer from Anxiety, and even though its a lot better, I still have my moments. If youve not been to Fairford before, please be assured there are plenty of open spaces with no crowd on the site where you can just retreat to, and still enjoy the planes flying, even on a Saturday. The car parks are only around a 10-15 minute walk away so you can take a bit of time out there too. And remember, by even just attending youve done brilliant.
Excellent post Mr Benn - really unless you are trying to get close to the fence or trying to be central to the display there's always bags of space.

If queues are something that trigger your anxiety, arriving after the gates have opened might help, as they get people moving pretty quickly once the showground is opened. Long, but moving. Whereas if you arrive early you're in a long, but not moving, queue.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Hear hear!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Also if you do feel you need to ask someone for help, approach a volunteer - especially the Air Tattoo Crew. We are all here to help and nearly all carry radios when out on the showground.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

I am surprised that 2 flying and 1 static Mi-24's are not causing more excitment, a blast from the past of the '90s shows and a true cold war warrior. They have never been a common sight in the UK and I can only imagine future opportunities to see them are likely to be rare to non-existent. Other than in a museum or Russia.

I am really looking forward to this years show, I love the variety. Though it is a shame about the lack of US fast jets and the French, both fantastic displays over the years.

Edit: I am truley amazed to see that there are still 59 operators of the Mi-24 around the world, most are not likely to be on the invite list for RIAT.
Last edited by pb643 on Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Czechs have accelerated the OSD and are retiring theirs by the end of this year I think (rather than the end of 2023). Almost certainly a last chance to see that display. Their Mi-17s can’t be far behind.

Likewise I’m not sure how long Hungary can keep theirs around, and they’re Westernising their helicopter fleet, too.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

pb643 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:06 am
I am surprised that 2 flying and 1 static Mi-24's are not causing more excitment, a blast from the past of the '90s shows and a true cold war warrior. They have never been a common sight in the UK and I can only imagine future opportunities to see them are likely to rare to non-existent. Other than in a museum or Russia.

I am really looking forward to this years show, I love the variety. Though it is a shame about the lack of US fast jests and the French, both fantastic displays over the years.

Edit: I am truley amazed to see that there are still 59 operators of the Mi-24 around the world, most are not likely to be on the invite list for RIAT.
Me too 🤷‍♂️ The Hungarian Mi-24s (& the Czech helicopters ) are a highlight this year for me.

I know the answer re the lack of excitement generally though regarding these participants (and others) having been on this forum for a few months....they don't have jet engines on the back. If they were sending a pair of MiG-21s or Su-22s (as they used to when they had them) I expect the show would be being hailed as a classic. 🤷‍♂️

Edit: just to add, I think it's only a few isolated examples on here though...I expect if there was a poll most would agree this year looks like a really great event in the circumstances, & would hold up well to most other shows across the last 10 years or so
Last edited by Bodz156 on Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

pb643 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:06 am
I am surprised that 2 flying and 1 static Mi-24's are not causing more excitment, a blast from the past of the '90s shows and a true cold war warrior. They have never been a common sight in the UK and I can only imagine future opportunities to see them are likely to rare to non-existent. Other than in a museum or Russia.

I am really looking forward to this years show, I love the variety. Though it is a shame about the lack of US fast jests and the French, both fantastic displays over the years.

I love the noise that the hind produces, very unique.

Am i correct in saying that i might have saw a couple of hinds in Cyprus? Cant remember, not sure if its some figment of my imagination!!

Oh please leave smut jokes at the backdoor!!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Cyprus operates Hinds, yes.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:55 am

How can something look ugly and beautiful at the same time!!
Last edited by snicker01 on Tue 28 Jun 2022, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Post by CJS »

snicker01 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:53 am
Oh please leave smut jokes at the backdoor!!
:laughing:

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Wissam24 wrote:
Again, not for much longer....I read a report they'd ordered the H145M to replace them & are selling their Hinds to Serbia (I think..)

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Yup, Cyprus (Greece) has 11 Hinds based at Paphos (Military side) that are being sold imminently and replaced by 12 x H145M helicopters.
I remember a short holiday 10 miles down the coast and 2 Hinds flew over. took 2 snaps as i didnt think they owned any.
Got to love Russianhardware

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

snicker01 wrote:
Tue 28 Jun 2022, 8:59 am
Wissam24 wrote:

How can something look ugly and beautiful at the same time!!
Almost looks real.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/