Bristol F2B Fighter Shuttleworth
Bristol Boxkite Shuttleworth
Hawker Sea Hurricane Shuttleworth
Supermarine Spitfire V Shuttleworth
English Electric Wren Shuttleworth
Avro Triplane Shuttleworth
Blackburn Monplane Type D Shuttleworth
Deperdussin Shuttleworth
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

IP1960

Re: Vintage Airshow September 4th

Post by IP1960 »

I see on the Military Airshows website they have the Red Arrows down for a flypast, on the way back from Bournemouth, as happened last year.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Hangar 11 Collection P-51D Mustang added.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

wdg

Post by wdg »

Looks like we've lost the DH.60 and the Vega Gull, but gained an Albatros D.Va
2022: As many displays as I can get to
http://www.flickr.com/people/161562983@N04

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

Lancaster Flyby announced

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Looking at radar tracker, any reason why red arrows failed to flypast shuttleworth today?
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

A 4 ship just went past us in the distance I

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

I was at Cosby waiting for the same flypast and apparently they suffered tech probs at Bournemouth and had to transit back to scampton as singletons, so cancelling en-route flypasts 😕 It's not been a memorable year for the Reds has it..

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Honestly the reds are just embarrassing this year their display isn’t even that good I used to think I’d miss them but couldn’t really care less anymore. I will say though I had an enjoyable day though despite the raf disappointing. Thought every display was enjoyable

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Was a little dubious at first about the parking arrangements, but you know what? I enjoyed some wonderful photography from a new vantage point up there. Great for take off shots as well as taxiing, without any clutter getting in the way (well apart from that bl**dy fire tender that parked up), but well chuffed with the day. Even enjoyed the "Elephant Walk" of all the traction engines returning to their low loader trailers.
Last edited by Roughcutter on Tue 06 Sep 2022, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Roughcutter wrote:
Sun 04 Sep 2022, 9:23 pm
Was a little dubious at first about the parking arrangements, but you know what? I enjoyed some wonderful photography from a new vantage point up there. Great for take off shots as well as taxiing, without any clutter getting in the way (well apart from that bloody fire tender that parked up), but well chuffed with the day. Even enjoyed the "Elephant Walk" of all the traction engines returning to their low loader trailers.
Must admit I arrived around 9.30, and was surprised to be parked where I was, initially thinking that SO many had arrived early it was already full down by the tower! We also sat at the fence up there, as you say a great vantage point fire truck aside! They are of course there for a good reason, as we saw briefly when they prepared for the Gladiator's landing.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Enjoyable day yesterday, love the Gladiator so it's abrupt return to base was disappointing, but these things happen. Having said that, any show that Peter Teichmann brings his Mustang to is a good one!

An interesting observation though, as I took a neighbour with me who has never been to Old Warden before, and he thought the whole day fantastic. We discovered gems in the hangars, loved wandering around the various machines and vehicles and talking to those with them, then sat down for three and a half hours of flying, he was amazed at how much there was going on across the airfield.

Good to be reminded what a wonderful place Old Warden is by someone bringing fresh eyes to it, whilst those of who are "regulars" mutter about queuing to get in (not an issue at 9.30 yesterday) and having a carousel on the airfield :slight_smile:

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

Just out of interest what were the parking arrangements for this show and was it just for the Vintage Show ? I was at Land Rover Burghley Horse Trials so unfortunately missed this one, looks and sounds like it was a great day though. Have booked for the race day on October.

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Some parking next to the tree line by the road but most parked in the field just after the ticket check which is normally overflow

roger

Post by roger »

I think it was disabled-only in the field in front of the hangars.

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

LinkGaz56 wrote:
Mon 05 Sep 2022, 11:35 am
Just out of interest what were the parking arrangements for this show and was it just for the Vintage Show ? Have booked for the race day on October.
Without checking I think it may well have been the case. I did notice that (this year) there seemed to be a few more vintage vehicles/tractors than the norm, which extended over the main parking area (the only exception being disabled/blue badge holders). Great day out all the same.

WJ244

Post by WJ244 »

I was really disappointed with the parking arrangements for this show. Being able to park on the airfield and leave all the seats etc safe and easily accessible so that I can have a wander around before the show has always been one of the special things that have made me return to Shuttleworth for the last 40 years.
I did write to complain and have been told that a majority of future shows including the Race Day show will have parking away from the airfield mainly because the woman who now manages the place wants to bring in more attractions such as the roundabouts and horse displays because she believes that is what visitors want to see.
The new queueing arrangements for entry aren't much fun either. It was far better when you could arrive early, grab a breakfast and have a walk round before it go too busy. I attended a May display with a 90 year old friend who is also a long time Shuttleworth visitor and he found the wait in a field to get in was too much for him so he won't visit again and I must admit I don't intend to return unless the airfield parking is reinstated.
With the house, the Swiss Garden, the hangars, the trade stands and the classic car displays Shuttleworth visitors have plenty of attractions to pack into a day without the increased costs of bringing in anything else from outside.
The restaurant has good food but who thought up the idea of serving it in a box so that the meal becomes one soggy mess which isn't very appetising. I know they do the same in many motorway services but motorway services don't rely on creating a good experience for their customers so that they will return again and again.
I really don't understand why someone is meddling with a format that has worked really well for decades. Unless there is a return to parking on the airfield I don't plan on visiting again and judging from the comments made by other people around me during the show plenty of others feel the same.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

WJ244 wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022, 12:24 pm
The restaurant has good food but who thought up the idea of serving it in a box so that the meal becomes one soggy mess which isn't very appetising.
The soup was particularly difficult!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

WJ244

Post by WJ244 »

The baked beans aren't very easy either!

Post by 5944 »

I wasn't keen on it to start with, but I now prefer it. Keeping the section between the hangars and the airfield clear of cars is great for a lot of people, especially if you have young children. My wife is more than happy to come to a show now with our son as she knows he'll be safe, and there won't be cars leaving in the middle of our picnic! There's plenty of space to sit down and spread out without being in the way of the people who got there before dawn to sit by their cars all day.

Shuttleworth needs money to survive, and if it means they have to make a few changes to how it used to be, then so be it. Gone are the days of getting several thousand blokes with cameras and big lenses turning up en mass for air shows. They need to entice other visitors there as well.

On your other point, I can't comment on the catering, I don't usually use it at shows after they managed to run out of milk in one of the tea huts!

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

5944 wrote:
Wed 14 Sep 2022, 5:26 pm
Keeping the section between the hangars and the airfield clear of cars is great for a lot of people, especially if you have young children.

That might be fine if the weather is fair but one of the great advantages of Shuttleworth for me was the chance to retreat to your car to shelter from a passing shower.
You were still able to watch the flying from your car regardless of where you were parked. Sitting out in the rain, even if you have full wet weather clothing, is not the best of experiences.

WJ244

Post by WJ244 »

I have arthritis in my knees which makes it impossible to walk around for long periods which has meant that I haven't been to a display anywhere other than Old Warden for about 15 years as I can't manage the walk from a car park to the airfield and then stand up all day so, until this year, Old Warden has been ideal for me as I have the car at hand with everything I need if the weather turns bad or my knees get too painful.
There is usually plenty of room at the front anyway for those who want to be away from their car so late arrivals still have the chance of a good view and children can run around. There is a children's playground as well so plenty of opportunity for children to play safely and in my experience those who do choose to leave early are very careful when they drive out.
I couldn't carry a chair all day so I left mine at the front while I took a wander round and when I returned it had been blown away by the prop wash from a visiting aircraft which must have been a safety hazard.
I don't qualify for a disabled badge because I can walk for then 50 metres in one go so I don't qualify for disabled parking at Old Warden.
I was told 17 years ago when I was 50 that I needed a knee replacement but at that time NHS policy was that no one under 60 got a knee replacement because they were likely to become too active and wear out the replacement knee and the NHS don't want the expense of providing a second knee replacement. I am now 67 and still waiting for a knee replacement and in the meantime I have to do the best I can.
Of course Shuttleworth needs money to survive and over the years I have taken along many non-enthusiasts who have loved the place and visited again. My partner who died in January came to most of the Old Warden shows I attended over the years. We took her daughter to a show a few years ago and she asked to come along on 4 Sept with her partner to remember her Mum and the lovely day she had spent there with us but the new parking arrangements tainted the day.
It is not viable for me to attend when there is no airfield parking so Shuttleworth have lost the future entry fees for myself and two others that I regularly take to Old Warden who don't drive and from the conversations I had with others I definitely wasn't the only one who is unhappy with the new policy.
I honestly believe that there is no need for extra attractions which take up so much space in the airfield paddocks. New people come to see an airshow and the house and swiss garden are a welcome bonus. Younger people tend to visit a place once and then look for the next new experience so it is unlikely many new visitors will return again and again regardless of how many extra attractions such as fairground rides and horse displays are laid on and there is no point is trying to attract new visitors by instituting policies which drive out the existing regulars.

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

WJ244, well said and I agree with your comments. Can a suggest that you repost your comments directly to the Shuttleworth Collection. The new management are hell bent on making changes, not all of which are welcome.
Last edited by DOUGHNUT on Thu 15 Sep 2022, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

grant_w

Post by grant_w »

Parking in front of the hangars is the only thing that enabled me to take my dad to an airshow for the first time in about 20 years due to his mobility issues, we were due to go to a drive-in show but had to cancel to due to covid, but went to the Fly Navy show. It was perfect being able to sit by the car for the show, and only a short walk to the facilities.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

WJ244 you probably summarised very well for many of us. I'm not disabled but have some mobility issues and Old Warden displays were fantastic for allowing me to park and watch from the car or walk 100yds with my chair to the flightline. If I'm down at the car park at the entrance end, I won't be going.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics