Black Eagles question……

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Unknown74

Black Eagles question……

Post by Unknown74 »

Just had to ask seeing as it was 10 Years ago I saw them, how were the Black Eagles this year? Were they better or just as good, I saw them at Waddington in 2012……

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: Black Eagles question……

Post by Blackbird »

They were very very good - second to the Frecce IMHO, but in front of the Reds

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

I last saw them at Waddington in less than ideal conditions! I think every display team benefits from being able to do their full display and that’s certainly true of the Black Eagles.

They also have a number of pretty unique manoeuvres that I’ve never seen a display team do before, as well as changing formation more than any other display team I’ve seen. It does give the display a lot of dynamism.

I’d easily say they were one of the my highlights of RIAT, not just because of their rarity but because of the display they did.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Their ability in precision flying allied to the Kai T50B airframe is indeed a match made for RIAT! I would rate the'Black Eagles' above the Frecce Tricolori (2nd) & Red Arrows (3rd). For sheer dynamic entertainment, speed of the multiple formation changes & simplistic yet perfectly adequate voice commands make the 'Black Eagles' star performers in my view! Saw them last UK visit they made & I'm convinced their 2022 offering was/is head & shoulders above that! :wink:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

They definitely met or even exceeded the high expectations that were created by their previous visit. Some of the formation changes are so dynamic and aggressive, they're forming 3/4 different formations in the time that the Reds take to make a turn. That final break to land is a fantastic addition. There was less of a solo display than I recall, but there really is something to look at the whole time.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 21 Jul 2022, 4:23 am
They definitely met or even exceeded the high expectations that were created by their previous visit. Some of the formation changes are so dynamic and aggressive, they're forming 3/4 different formations in the time that the Reds take to make a turn. That final break to land is a fantastic addition. There was less of a solo display than I recall, but there really is something to look at the whole time.
Absolutely this...

Best team at the show, and in spades.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

They were superb. They combine the close formation work and power of the American teams with choreography more akin to the European approach. The speed, and precision, that they change formation shapes is remarkable, but also they are never out of view, have several really novel manoeuvres; ultimately they were super-entertaining.

In answer to Unknown74's question, they were more or less the same level as the last UK visit, but given I only saw them at RIAT that year they had much more luck with the weather this time, only having to contend with cloud on one of the three days.

The Frecce Tricolori followed them pretty quickly on the Friday, and as charming as the Frecce are, their display looked from a previous era. Which of course it is.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Blackbird wrote:
Tue 19 Jul 2022, 11:27 am
They were very very good - second to the Frecce IMHO, but in front of the Reds
Agreed with this. I thought the Frecce were a bit better and a bit tighter in parts. Quite a lot of the Black Eagles' manoeuvres are very similar at best to many we see from the Reds and PdF (in fact, I think they literally do the Gypo Break at one point), which for me takes away slightly from it, but they do have some pretty neat unique bits, with the spaghetti break to land being a real highlight. But I think the Frecce show is better
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Frecce are great, no denying it, but having watched display teams for 40 years I've never seen any better than the Black Eagles.

They'll make three formation changes through the course of one turn, there is always something going on in front of you, they leave no gaps. Super slick.

They've taken the best of European teams, yes it is the best form of flattery, but they all do it, and the tightness of the US demo teams formations and combined it into one routine.

It helps they have a very manoeuvrable jet with a very pokey engine, but they use it superbly well. And the break to land is beyond good.

The Reds used to end with the parasol break, far better than the vixen break after the last synchro cross.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

For me there's no comparison to the Black Eagles for the reasons already stated.

The Frecce are a good team but with the loss of their most spectacular manoeuvre (the multi direction split and cross over) I just can't get as excited as I used to about them.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Slight thread drift but not sure it warrants its own thread...

I've just noticed on some of the photo threads that at least one of the Black Eagles seemed to have a passenger during the display on the Sunday. I don't think I've seen this before for the actual display from other teams - is it normal?

For a flypast I would get it, but I'd have thought having 2 in the aircraft during a full display was unusual?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Kieron

Post by Kieron »

Hi CJS
At least two of the pilots in the back-seat were new members of the team (think it was positions 4 (slot) and 7 (solo-2) going by their arm patches) and they seem to switch positions each display. There were also crew filming the display from jet 6 and 7 (could have been the new pilots of course), and overall I noted pax in jets 1,4,6 and 7 over the weekend).

CJS

Post by CJS »

Cheers Kieron 👍🏼

Mooshie1956

Post by Mooshie1956 »

CJS wrote:
Sat 30 Jul 2022, 8:29 pm
Slight thread drift but not sure it warrants its own thread...

I've just noticed on some of the photo threads that at least one of the Black Eagles seemed to have a passenger during the display on the Sunday. I don't think I've seen this before for the actual display from other teams - is it normal?

For a flypast I would get it, but I'd have thought having 2 in the aircraft during a full display was unusual?
This was one of the passengers at Southport in number 1, heavily cropped. All be it that he/she was using a phone.
ImageBlack Eagles-4562a by Peter Hurley, on Flickr
My Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/mooshie1956/
Panny G80 12-60 Lens
Panny 100-400 Lens
Olympus 60 Macro Lens

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Black eagles were superior to the frecce and made the reds 7 ship look very sedate.

As has been mentioned the Frecce display is without one of its most unique manoeuvres - the 9 ship cross. I believe the Frecce rehearsal in 2018 included this manoeuvre but why are they not allowed to do this at RIAT as they have been allowed at all other European show? If it involves issues with flying over the show site can it not be pushed back a little ???

Agree with comments on the Reds - would be good for them to have a finale split similar to what the Frecce do with their diamond split. I can’t remember the last time the synchro joined the main formation for the finale break

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Looks like some sort of phone or other recording device. The footage would be cool to see!

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

It was Tom Cruise.

I actually have no idea but I wouldn't be surprised he seems turns up all over the place these days

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 01 Aug 2022, 10:25 am

Looks like some sort of phone or other recording device. The footage would be cool to see!
Something like this...

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Interesting view of the new hangars at 1.44. There don't appear to be any cut outs in the doors for tall fins to fit into...almost like they are being designed for aircraft with a wide wingspan and not a lot of height....almost flying wing shaped.....

GRIM99

Post by GRIM99 »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Wed 03 Aug 2022, 8:15 am
Interesting view of the new hangars at 1.44. There don't appear to be any cut outs in the doors for tall fins to fit into...almost like they are being designed for aircraft with a wide wingspan and not a lot of height....almost flying wing shaped.....
My understanding is they are intended to support for future drone operations. don't think it is any secret. Also there is a plan for a hanger to maintain a B52 from what I'd read.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

For me, what sets the Black Eagles apart (and for me personally makes them the best) is the aggression with which they move.
I've never seen any other formation team make such abrupt and dynamic formation changes, it truly is breathtaking. I'd rather have the excitement of that then perfect formations (that do very little except fly long sweeping turns).

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

Gt5500 wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 1:07 pm
For me, what sets the Black Eagles apart (and for me personally makes them the best) is the aggression with which they move.
I've never seen any other formation team make such abrupt and dynamic formation changes, it truly is breathtaking. I'd rather have the excitement of that then perfect formations (that do very little except fly long sweeping turns).
Absolutely agree with this. I made an inadvertent noise when I saw the aggression of the first formation change and I'm generally the silent admirer type. There was a turn with three formation changes in it for heaven sake. To the original poster, yes this was better than 2012 in all respects, and also the best formation jet aerobatic display I've ever seen. The Frecce were superb as always but the dynamism of the BEs was out of the park. I'm a very big Patrouille de France fan on the whole who I think really reward being watched carefully (also I have a thing for Alpha Jets) but this was another game altogether. Don't want to say anything about the Reds because I know with 9 they are miles better.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

melodrama wrote:
Fri 05 Aug 2022, 11:43 pm
Don't want to say anything about the Reds because I know with 9 they are miles better.
BUT...you did say something about the Reds! Which IMO deserves a response.

1] They don't have 9 jets displaying at this time so your positive conclusion regarding the quality of a 9-ship display is ambiguous at best?
2] They do fly with 7 jets displaying at this time & I'm afraid they are tedious in execution & keeping the action flowing at crowd-centre. Massive wide-arcing turns destroy the tempo.
3] Based on what we witnessed at RIAT 22 the Black Eagles took first place, Frecce Tricolori a fairly close second & the Reds a very distant third place. I haven't seen the PdF Team for over 3 years, but might reasonably expect them to take at least third spot above?

It's all subjective, but the South Koreans & their chosen jets were something more than special to witness. Here's to the next time! :sunglasses: