melcragg

Re: AN-225 Destroyed

Post by melcragg »

Tragic and somewhat of an own goal.

toom317
UKAR Supporter

Post by toom317 »

Sad to hear. Caught it at Prestwick a few years ago and it was an impressive sight.

"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

Now that really has upset me, never saw it always wanted to.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Recent update from Antonov:

Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

CJS

Post by CJS »

Unknown74 wrote:
Sun 27 Feb 2022, 4:48 pm
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and suggest that you really should have been getting upset quite a long time before a cool looking aircraft that you've never seen fly got destroyed.
#firstworldproblems
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

I saw pictures of a second frame under construction. Can't find right now.

Draken

Post by Draken »

AndrewW wrote:
Sun 27 Feb 2022, 7:40 pm
It is not 'under construction', it's just not finished piece (with almost 0% chances to be completed + probably destroyed as well).
More rumors say that An-22 is gone as well (it's been on the ground from Dec last year)...

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Draken wrote:
Mon 28 Feb 2022, 7:52 am
AndrewW wrote:
Sun 27 Feb 2022, 7:40 pm
It is not 'under construction', it's just not finished piece (with almost 0% chances to be completed + probably destroyed as well).
More rumors say that An-22 is gone as well (it's been on the ground from Dec last year)...

There's a recent article here re the possible completion of the 2nd An.225 together with photos of it, seems there was talk of a joint project with Turkey
https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/01/s ... plete.html

Re the An.22, when you say December last year did you mean December 2020? The last record of a flight of that aircraft was December 2020 from Radomir in Bulgaria to Kiev. I read somewhere that it was almost time expired so may well have been permanently grounded before any damage occurred in the current conflict. At 49 years old it well to soldier on that long.

As for being upset about the 225's destruction, it certainly had an affinity with aircraft enthusiasts and this being an aviation forum it's understandable that some are showing some feeling of disappointment at it's loss, I think that is how I would describe my thoughts but agree that in the whole current state of affairs it is way down my list of concerns. What those displaced people are going through seems tragic to put it mildly.
As for the 'lost' An.225 at over 30 years old and a single example (caviat apples as per quote above) it must have been reaching the end of economic operation, the COVID pandemic gave it a good deal of trade but prior to that it sat around for weeks or months sometimes waiting for work that couldn't be done by an An.124, so commercially their (Antonov Airlines) An124 fleet is probably more important and from FR24 6 of their 7 aircraft are currently operating in various locations away from Ukraine.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

Draken

Post by Draken »

Re: An-22 - yes Dec 2020 was last intl flight. Since then it's in Gostomel.
When we visited Kiev back in 2019 Antonov Factory guide told us that they have some issues with rotorblades - they were in their flight hour limits - less than 100h remaining. The guide also said Antonov has no supplier for new blades (they are produced in Russia - no deal here).

Re: 2nd An-225 - Did not know about Turkey, I've heard that some years ago China wanted to buy the fuselage with all the parts but they also wanted to buy full technology/production documentation - Antonov said 'no' to that.

Anyway - big loss for aviation industry/community...

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

Draken wrote:
Mon 28 Feb 2022, 12:22 pm
Re: An-22 - yes Dec 2020 was last intl flight. Since then it's in Gostomel.
When we visited Kiev back in 2019 Antonov Factory guide told us that they have some issues with rotorblades - they were in their flight hour limits - less than 100h remaining. The guide also said Antonov has no supplier for new blades (they are produced in Russia - no deal here).

Re: 2nd An-225 - Did not know about Turkey, I've heard that some years ago China wanted to buy the fuselage with all the parts but they also wanted to buy full technology/production documentation - Antonov said 'no' to that.

Anyway - big loss for aviation industry/community...
Thanks for that info, I remembered there was an issue with the life of some part or other so that at is probably what I was thinking of.
I remember the rumours of a deal with China which fell through, the turkey discussions were something I only heard of very recently but thought it was a bit of conjecture but maybe there is something more substantial going on although the current conflict may undermine that.
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

XP282

Post by XP282 »

CJS wrote:
Sun 27 Feb 2022, 7:37 pm
Unknown74 wrote:
I'm gonna stick my neck out here and suggest that you really should have been getting upset quite a long time before a cool looking aircraft that you've never seen fly got destroyed.
#firstworldproblems
Theres no need for it... Unknown 74 didn't say he wasn't upset about other issues etc etc. they just said that they were upset that they didn't get to see the AN-225. Theres nothing wrong with being upset / having an emotion about that. It. might be different if this were a thread about the war in Ukraine, but its a thread specific to the 225.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

XP282 wrote:
Mon 28 Feb 2022, 1:05 pm
CJS wrote:
Sun 27 Feb 2022, 7:37 pm
Unknown74 wrote:
#firstworldproblems
Theres no need for it... Unknown 74 didn't say he wasn't upset about other issues etc etc. they just said that they were upset that they didn't get to see the AN-225. Theres nothing wrong with being upset / having an emotion about that. It. might be different if this were a thread about the war in Ukraine, but its a thread specific to the 225.
The 2 are related

XP282

Post by XP282 »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Mon 28 Feb 2022, 1:13 pm
The 2 are related
yes.. I realise that!🤨

My point is that the person who started the thread wasn't criticised for reporting on the loss of a fat transport aircraft when innocent civilians are loosing their life... yet when someone comments on their sadness for not ever seeing the aircraft then they're suffering from first world problems and should have got upset a long time ago. Im just saying...

How about we all just be nice to one another??? Naaa, don't be silly... That will never happen!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Relax, all.

Rob S made an excellent point elsewhere that it’s perfectly fine to mourn the loss of an iconic and unique aircraft, just as it is to mourn the loss of a monument or significant cultural building in the midst of the fighting.

That’s not mutually exclusive from also mourning the human cost, too (and it’s always very useful to keep ourselves reminded of that as CJS has done), which some may say “goes without saying”.

It’s a tough time, neither “side” is right or wrong.

Please don’t let it descend into petty postings slinging muck at each other.

chipmunk22

Post by chipmunk22 »

Realy gutted I didn`t make the effort to go to Brize to see it when it visited.
Only live 50 miles away !! Damn , Damn , Damn !!
Take the oppurtunity when it arises.

Saw it at Farnborough many years ago.
Doesn`t sound like it will return.

This post is purely from a aviation enthusiasts point of view , without bickering about other issues.

Archer

Post by Archer »

It's a strange situation, there is a duality in lamenting the loss of an airframe while the human costs should be foremost in our mind and while the conflict is still ongoing. As long as we're in agreement on being able to discuss this: https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/sat ... -survived/

Orion

Post by Orion »

Although the AN-225 is getting a lot of attention on here, I'd be surprised if much survives of Ukrainian aviation, civil or military

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Well that proves nothing either way to me. Couldn't they have zoomed in on the inside of the hangar. Comparing that truck to the size of the hangar doesn't even look to me like the AN225 would even fit inside, width or height

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Small, far away.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Traveller. Given the size of it, and the fact you can only see a small amount of the Yellow and blue painted nose section....

I would say it's toast the end ..

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

What a shame :(
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016