RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
cg_341

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by cg_341 »

Tommy wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 11:11 am
A big and rare hunk for static (in nice camo) from half the world away
Just as long as it's a different one to the one that was in the UK recently 🤣 I suppose it'll be nice to photograph in daylight though.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Haha, the curse sitting at P&V and a stupidly rare aircraft turning up and just happening to be the only one in the fleet you’ve logged before. 🙃

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Great update, and it's going to be a great show, I can't wait. Hungarian Hind sounds mighty good. We don't even know what the birthday boys & girls are bringing to celebrate their 75th yet, hopefully the icing on the cake! I want to enjoy the diversity of types we still have before more of them get retired.

One thing I associate most with RIAT is special set pieces and flypasts, it would be fitting this year if four of the NATO air arms in the display started or ended the show with a minute's silence and a missing man tribute to Col. Oksanchenko and his fallen comrades. They could rotate the countries over each day so nobody misses out on being part of the formation if there's a political issue of who to include. I expect DBH are already planning something that could provoke a few misty eyes in the crowd.

Roll on July!

CJS

Post by CJS »

Roger_Over wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 2:50 pm
Great update, and it's going to be a great show, I can't wait. Hungarian Hind sounds mighty good. We don't even know what the birthday boys & girls are bringing to celebrate their 75th yet, hopefully the icing on the cake! I want to enjoy the diversity of types we still have before more of them get retired.

One thing I associate most with RIAT is special set pieces and flypasts, it would be fitting this year if four of the NATO air arms in the display started or ended the show with a minute's silence and a missing man tribute to Col. Oksanchenko and his fallen comrades. They could rotate the countries over each day so nobody misses out on being part of the formation if there's a political issue of who to include. I expect DBH are already planning something that could provoke a few misty eyes in the crowd.

Roll on July!
Fitting yes, but why just NATO air arms? Why not something from Austria say, or Sweden? Nice idea though.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Good point CJS, I thought Austria were staying neutral in terms of the war but certainly Sweden and Finland would be equally relevant, probably others as well.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Shame the KC-390 isn't flying. It put on a nice display at Paris pre-pandemic.
Fingers crossed for a dump and burn from the Hungarian Gripen. :fire:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Tbf it’s more of a shart & spark, but always a neat party trick.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 1:06 pm
French PC-21 tactical demo will be cool to see. Couteau Delta still yet to reveal their 2022 schedule, they’ve been teasing their season on their socials.
would love to see them back at RIAT. Wouldnt be surprised to see them confirm at some point

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

rockfordstone wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:23 pm
Gripenjetphotos wrote:
French PC-21 tactical demo will be cool to see. Couteau Delta still yet to reveal their 2022 schedule, they’ve been teasing their season on their socials.
would love to see them back at RIAT. Wouldnt be surprised to see them confirm at some point
Just seen their schedule on another site, unfortunately they are only performing in France this year, oh well.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2022/04/a ... iGSLXOl1y4
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Will be a shame not to see a Rafale at Fairford, fingers crossed the French Navy might come to the rescue!

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

I think it's actually quite refreshing to not have the Rafale this year. Since the type's RIAT flying display debut in 2009 we've also had the solo in 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2018.. plus we had the Rafale M pair that year too.

When these sort of displays are at an event like RIAT year after year they really get taken for granted. The Swedish Gripen is a great example - it's a well flown and punchy demo, particularly for a small fast jet, but because it's at the show almost every year no one really pays that much attention to it.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:34 pm
rockfordstone wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 4:23 pm
Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Just seen their schedule on another site, unfortunately they are only performing in France this year, oh well.

https://www.air-shows.org.uk/2022/04/a ... iGSLXOl1y4
Doesn't mean they may not add more to the schedule at a later date. All I see from this is that they're free on the RIAT weekend so the potential is there.
Fast jet fanatic.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Anyone else notice no post on FB or Twitter for todays announcement?

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Thu 28 Apr 2022, 6:22 pm
Anyone else notice no post on FB or Twitter for todays announcement?
There was definately one on there earlier. Seems to have been deleted.

Flightech

Post by Flightech »

I can't believe the Rafale C is confirmed for the Cosford Airshow and not RIAT. Not sure if it's from the French Navy though. Its bit disappointing to see them being a pair of p21s for the flying display though.

I think we are all waiting for the Polish Air force to enter talks

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Why don’t you attend Cosford, then? 🤷🏼‍♂️

I mean, sure, the Rafale is a great demo, but it has attended RIAT many, many times. The PC-21s would be a debut (and I’m a minority but I’d prefer to see something I’ve not seen before!).

FastJetBros can be fickle, man. On the one hand anything that isn’t pointy and noisy is boring, yet if they have four f-16s and four Typhoons in the flying, they complain it’s all very samey.

If you want to see the Rafale so much, on current information available, I’d have thought that the sensible things to do would be to go to Cosford (which has just as much a right to fast jet displays, even the odd “exclusive” appearance).

The notion that everything and anything *has* to come to RIAT is a silly one, and would result in a boring airshow season (and a boring RIAT, with the same participants every year) - DeanW said it best above.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

To a degree true, however we already have potentially 3 Gripens, 2 F-16s, 2 F-18s, 3 Typhoons and the French Air Force Rafale would be something different in the air at the premier airshow with the longest display.

We champion the Jordanian Falcons for attending every year, so every right to champion the Rafale or its predecessor the Mirage 2000 for attending every year as they are relatively unique display types flown superbly.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

Yes the Rafale and Mirage 2000 are different to the gripens, F-16s and so on, but guess what is even more different ... PC-21s! :D :D
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

So far the flying participants are excellent , but personally I am only waiting for the A-10, Spanish Hornet and the two MI-24 demos. Aerobatic teams and trainer aircraft are of 0 interest for me, but I am actually happy about this. As I only attend one day this will allow me to freely admire the static aircraft without any rush. Usually I speed around the static display in order to look at all the flying displays so it will be good to have one 'off' year. At the same time I am sure there are people on here who are buzzing with the baby blue team, Finnish Hawk or two NH-90 displays.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Fair points Caper (though if Jordan were to swap the Falcons with something else from their inventory from time to time, I doubt many would complain!)

To add, the PC-21s are also, if anything, more appropriate given the trainer theme.

I know it’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, of course. But there is another U.K. show for the Rafale to go to, and it takes the shine of a debut.

Saying stuff like you “can’t believe” the Rafale is going elsewhere reads like it’s a bit of a strop (although apologies if it wasn’t intended that way).

That’s, of course, *if* anything is confirmed by RIAT.

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

To be honest, I’m just looking forward to getting back to some normality and getting to a proper show. I’ve missed the excitement of arrivals and the waiting to get in on the Saturday Morning. It’ll be nice to wander around a static display again, talk to some crews, and gain new interests in types that usually wouldn’t be my cup of tea.

Up until recently, I wasn’t a massive heli fan, but I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing types like the NH-90, Dauphin, Hip and especially the Hinds. Bring on the queues, the expensive burgers and the general hubbub that is RIAT.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Gripenjetphotos wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 6:36 am
Up until recently, I wasn’t a massive heli fan, but I’m genuinely looking forward to seeing types like the NH-90, Dauphin, Hip and especially the Hinds.
Yesss. Gooooood. Embrace the dark side.

You’ll be a civvi spotter soon, too!

verreli

Post by verreli »

It's quite an amuse-bouche so far with some quite tasty dishes. Just waiting for the main course to be served up and I'm always partial to a nice dessert with a cherry on top.

Berf

Post by Berf »

It will really be a show to celebrate some of the older types be they static or flying. The war has shown that advanced missile systems now rule and IMHO the older types like A10 or B52 or B1 or Fitters will be phased out more quickly than previously thought. While we know unmanned/manned aircraft like Tempest are on the way it's all going to be speeded up now.

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 29 Apr 2022, 4:29 am
So far the flying participants are excellent , but personally I am only waiting for the A-10
I don't see an A-10 confirmed on the website?

It's sometimes unwise to blindly believe an unofficial self-confirmation as a confirmed attendance.