Image cost?

Discuss equipment and methods or ask for advice
RRconway

Image cost?

Post by RRconway »

Hi all,

I've been asked to take a very specific aviation image at work which will be used by a third party company for promotion.
The third party have said they are happy to pay for the image but the problem is I don't know what to expect or indeed what to ask for.

Does anybody have experience in this field who could maybe offer me any advice?

Thankyou in advance,
Jeff
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Stagger2

Re: Image cost?

Post by Stagger2 »

Too little & you'll get loads of jobs, too much & you'll not even get this job!
I have no idea what that number is, as most everybody does the 'one-shot' for free just to ingratiate themselves in the hope of a full-on commission or Air to Air? Good Luck. :sweat:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Beyond selling the odd image to mags, I can’t help either, but perhaps put it on them and ask them what their budget is for the promo? That’ll at least give you a starting point.

Berf

Post by Berf »

As above - ask them what they think is a fair price within their budget.

nighthawk999

Post by nighthawk999 »

Just a point to consider,if you'll be incurring any expenses on the day,travel etc;Don't forget to include them in your final price,it's standard procedure.
Relevant receipts,if you can get them,will help with that.

BryanAllman

Post by BryanAllman »

The NUJ provide rates for all forms of image use.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguid ... hotography

RRconway

Post by RRconway »

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think for simplicities sake, as Tommy said, I will just ask them outright what they propose.
Ultimately I have always been happy to provide my photography services to my employer for free as I am afforded excellent opportunities for unique access, it was the chap who gives me the opportunites who suggested I take the third parties offer.
I will let you know what happens, although personally I think the photo idea they have is terrible for promotion, but then I don't know what message they want to convey with it. 😂 Its all a bit last minute.

Cheers,
Jeff
I know you think you understood what I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what I said is not what I meant.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

BryanAllman wrote:
Sun 13 Mar 2022, 1:10 pm
The NUJ provide rates for all forms of image use.

http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguid ... hotography
Thanks for this great piece of reference information. I personally think this could prove invaluable in any future negotiations for specific commissions?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Good luck, Jeff 👍🏻