RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by CJS »

edhunter wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:02 pm
do we have a map of the showground avalible on the website yet and has anyone recived there tickets or wristbands for the viewing village yet?
Normally about 2 weeks before the show I think. Panic ye not!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

CJS

Post by CJS »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:50 pm
Does flying start at 10am or 9am this year?
10 to 6 is the norm. I certainly haven't seen or heard different this year.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

CJS wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 1:48 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Fri 10 Jun 2022, 12:50 pm
Does flying start at 10am or 9am this year?
10 to 6 is the norm. I certainly haven't seen or heard different this year.
In one of the updates it referenced the display being longer to accommodate

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

Happy Friday everyone!

What a good few updates we've had recently, shame about the 757 but understandably these things happen. I've just been reviewing the static for this year and it's probably the best it's been in recent memory. I know half of you expel stuff when you mention bones and buffs but seriously there are some rare and varied examples on show. I for one will enjoy a whole day wandering around and taking it all in as usual.
This year is building still to be the best in the last 10-15 years albeit a few standout moments and items which are RIAT trademarks each year.
All I can say is well done so far to Peter and his team.

I'm getting really excited for this one and every Thursdays cannot come sooner.

As for the USAF participation, they've supported well so far and we're getting more each week so I won't be surprised if we get some surprise announcements....

....no one at DBH has denied anything posted here yet.

Imagine if a certain Mr Cruise turned up on the back of his recent movie?
I know its Navy but you never know, we've had a spaceman and Delboy as well as certain singer!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Last November, Mike McEvoy passed away at the age of 85. Mike was well known in aircraft modelling circles and had an encyclopaedic knowledge of aviation.
Mike had also been a pilot in the RAF and flew Hunters. Following that career he went into Air Traffic Control and that's where the link to the Tattoo comes in as he was heavily involved in the early days in setting up the systems used.
I think the least that could be done is to say a thank you to Mike in the commentary - accepting a missing man formation of Hunters is all but impossible.
(Peter, over to you!)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

OscarM

Post by OscarM »

Cole wrote:
Thu 09 Jun 2022, 10:35 am
Luke28 wrote:
Thu 09 Jun 2022, 10:05 am
I'd be happy with no cancellations and a couple of decent statics, maybe from the Canadians or Dutch.
Maybe some dutch PC-7s for the training theme ?
Well this is a good one. Can't remember a Dutch PC-7 on static at (R)IAT :thinking:

ThatDutchDude

Post by ThatDutchDude »

Is there anything known about attendance of the Army Air Corps this year? Or will they even be attending this year?

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Wonder if it is still feasible that Romania will send a MIG-21 ,even if for static now they have resumed flying...
Sorry i know this is a wish post but wanted to know if once a particular country has committed then what’s the chances of it adding more participants ,know the USAF is dribs/drabs but that involves different commands and is ongoing whereby other countries tend to announce and that’s your lot, so to speak?

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

AARDVARK wrote:
Sat 11 Jun 2022, 4:52 pm
Wonder if it is still feasible that Romania will send a MIG-21 ,even if for static now they have resumed flying...
Sorry i know this is a wish post but wanted to know if once a particular country has committed then what’s the chances of it adding more participants ,know the USAF is dribs/drabs but that involves different commands and is ongoing whereby other countries tend to announce and that’s your lot, so to speak?
I don't think it's ever out of the question for air arms to add extra participants closer to the show should they want to (France often does that in my experience). In the case of the LanceRs I'd think it's highly unlikely, I read a news report saying they were only being flown on QRA duties & to maintain pilot currency....so I'd imagine airshow appearances are out.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

When do FRIAT packs and tickets come out. I was under the impression it was may for some reason

LWBerks98

Post by LWBerks98 »

Hi all

New here so apologies if this post is meant to be elsewhere

I unfortunately didn’t realise that I’d double booked the Open with RIAT this year (luckily able to go on the Sunday still)

Anyone want to take my Saturday ticket off of my hands?

Cheers

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

LWBerks98 wrote:
Sun 12 Jun 2022, 7:48 am
Hi all

New here so apologies if this post is meant to be elsewhere

I unfortunately didn’t realise that I’d double booked the Open with RIAT this year (luckily able to go on the Sunday still)

Anyone want to take my Saturday ticket off of my hands?

Cheers
Messaged you my friends number
Fast jet fanatic.

skymoss

Post by skymoss »

Hi guys going on Saturday but just bought Friday tickets as well, a quick question do RIAT put out any type of time sheet or check list on friday for arrivals and display. Any help is much appreciated thanks Graeme

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

skymoss wrote:
Sun 12 Jun 2022, 1:17 pm
Hi guys going on Saturday but just bought Friday tickets as well, a quick question do RIAT put out any type of time sheet or check list on friday for arrivals and display. Any help is much appreciated thanks Graeme
I think a daily flying list does go out with timings. But I think you can only get hold of it on the day of the show

coanda

Post by coanda »

Not sure if there'll be many movements on the Friday, except for the display items. I was lucky to get a FRIAT Mach 3 ticket on the reserve list, and pretty pleased about that as most arrivals, practices and other movements happen over the Weds/Thurs now.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

coanda wrote:
Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:54 pm
Not sure if there'll be many movements on the Friday, except for the display items. I was lucky to get a FRIAT Mach 3 ticket on the reserve list, and pretty pleased about that as most arrivals, practices and other movements happen over the Weds/Thurs now.
In the next week or so the days on display is probably going to updated, I would suggest watching which days static aircraft are available. If they aren't on the Friday they're either in the green zone or arriving that day (to be then parked in the green zone).

Andy

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

rockfordstone wrote:
Sun 12 Jun 2022, 7:43 am
When do FRIAT packs and tickets come out. I was under the impression it was may for some reason
I've seen a few posts come up recently on my 'Facebook Memories' section regarding my FRIAT passes having being delivered, so I expect they won't be far away from arriving for this year :thumbsup_tone2:
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

coanda wrote:
Sun 12 Jun 2022, 6:54 pm
In 2018 Friday was of a full show day.

Back in 2019 it returned to a bit of normality with some support/statics arriving in the morning and after the afternoon’s flying. I’ll wager this year there are a few static items that punters can catch “live” as it were.

verreli

Post by verreli »

On the same theme, on Wed / Thu static aircraft typically do a straight in approach to land due to the volume of traffic. For the Friday, what's the possibility of arriving static aircraft performing initials break to land? That would be preferable and allow Friday attendees to see some of these aircraft flying wheels-up. Is there a restriction from flight ops?

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:18 am
On the same theme, on Wed / Thu static aircraft typically do a straight in approach to land due to the volume of traffic. For the Friday, what's the possibility of arriving static aircraft performing initials break to land? That would be preferable and allow Friday attendees to see some of these aircraft flying wheels-up. Is there a restriction from flight ops?
Do they?

Ok most larger types are long approaches but most fighters/trainers will do run and breaks unless the visibility is nil.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

verreli

Post by verreli »

capercaillie wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:32 am
Ok most larger types are long approaches but most fighters/trainers will do run and breaks unless the visibility is nil.
Maybe I have that wrong then. I don't go to arrivals days so only see the pics posted on forums where the photo's are typically short finals or touchdown shots.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 10:00 am
capercaillie wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 9:32 am
Maybe I have that wrong then. I don't go to arrivals days so only see the pics posted on forums where the photo's are typically short finals or touchdown shots.
that's because they are better shots than the underside of say two black Hawks or grey Typhoons at 1000 feet.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JMC

Post by JMC »

Tommy; I don't recall there much happening on the Friday at all in 2019. Typhoon take off, E-3 flypast and Harriers is all I can recall happening! Maybe my memories just hazy.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

An MC130J landed in the morning and Chinook displayed only other movements I can remember
Thomas

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

JMC wrote:
Mon 13 Jun 2022, 10:45 am
Tommy; I don't recall there much happening on the Friday at all in 2019. Typhoon take off, E-3 flypast and Harriers is all I can recall happening! Maybe my memories just hazy.
It was a damp squib of a day!

A few bits and bobs arrived on the Friday in 2019. In addition to the MC mentioned, the French support Herk arrived, and Italian P180, as well static arrivals like the a Dutch Cougar, Xingu, Jetstream, and I think the Spanish Navy Citation was active, too.

All neat little rare items that aren’t part of the usual weekend’s flying.