Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Tommy »

snicker01 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:18 pm
CJS wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 1:00 pm
I think you may have misspelled "shut" 🤣
Not sure what happened there!
The swear filter has been engaged. The “u” is perilously close to the “i” on a keyboard!

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:24 pm
snicker01 wrote:
CJS wrote:
The swear filter has been engaged. The “u” is perilously close to the “i” on a keyboard!
🤣 I definitely meant “shut up” not the alternative!!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:24 pm
snicker01 wrote:
CJS wrote:
A mistake I've made far too often... in work lol.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:11 pm
Not sure why there is this concentration on fighter types ? I’ve been attending since 1998 and this year I finally get to see Austrian Typhoons!
The Rafale and USAF stuff will be back, but the Austrians? Not so sure….

There seems to be a lack of interest in the helicopters on this thread , yet when the Czech demo attended Biggin Hill and Sanicole, people on here were setting themselves. Little mention of the Hungarian Mil and Polish Sokol on here - both demos that have had people screaming “why not RIAT?” in the past, when appearing elsewhere.

“No star item”…. So the Koreans, the best display team I have ever seen, are almost dismissed here by some because they turned up once before.

And the immediate questioning of why an Air Force isn’t sending X, because RIAT has secured Y, baffles me….

No show for three years and a war in Ukraine - but all some people want to look at is what isn’t coming rather all the stuff that is ?
Quite agree,
I’d also say that from where I was sat at Cosford ( in front of the Catalina), Rich Goodwin got the most appreciative round of applause of the day.
No surprise in my eyes, because by Christ does he throw that Pitts about.

The point being that probably less than 10% of the crowd were only interested in the noisy stuff.

Anyone who’s only interested in military fighters is in a minority at RIAT too i’d wager. You certainly don’t speak for me.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

For me it was always going to be lighter on the fast jet front this year. Obviously due to current affairs one reason. Maybe if "training" hadn't been chosen as one of the main themes we may have had a few more. I'm thrilled to bits the show is back though and grateful for what we have. Can't wait to arrive at Totterdown and get set up.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

People need to also understand that air arms are also starting to replace their cold war fleets. How many are willing to support their older perhaps less reliable or more costly to operate types to visit a show over their new shiny types?

How many types are in production? How many of them are actually going to be ordered and how many in significant enough numbers to make them airshow regulars? In the west you've got the F-15EX, F-16V, F/A-18E, F-35, Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon - and not much else. There will be very few F-16 orders going forward in Europe, I don't see anyone buying Super Hornet or the Eagle in Europe either.

That leads to just 4 fighter types starting to take over as the main ones you will see. It is a sign of the times and some people just need to accept change. There will be less fighter types in the now and in the near future as those you have loved from your childhood are retired or replaced.

I'd enjoy F-16 displays whilst you can too, they will soon become rare and I am 60% positive off the top of my head that I have seen a news story that both the Dutch and Belgians do not intend to operate an F-35 solo display as they won't have enough aircraft.

snicker01

Post by snicker01 »

boff180 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 4:25 pm
People need to also understand that air arms are also starting to replace their cold war fleets. How many are willing to support their older perhaps less reliable or more costly to operate types to visit a show over their new shiny types?

How many types are in production? How many of them are actually going to be ordered and how many in significant enough numbers to make them airshow regulars? In the west you've got the F-15EX, F-16V, F/A-18E, F-35, Gripen, Rafale, Typhoon - and not much else. There will be very few F-16 orders going forward in Europe, I don't see anyone buying Super Hornet or the Eagle in Europe either.

That leads to just 4 fighter types starting to take over as the main ones you will see. It is a sign of the times and some people just need to accept change. There will be less fighter types in the now and in the near future as those you have loved from your childhood are retired or replaced.

I'd enjoy F-16 displays whilst you can too, they will soon become rare and I am 60% positive off the top of my head that I have seen a news story that both the Dutch and Belgians do not intend to operate an F-35 solo display as they won't have enough aircraft.
Depressing when put like that.

Without being a doom merchant, i suggest we appreciate what we have as it looks as though airshows (as we know them) are going the way of the dodo.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Welcome to progress.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

boff180 wrote:
I'd enjoy F-16 displays whilst you can too
Exactly what I did at Cosford, For too long I have only seen these through a viewfinder, this time I put the camera down for the majority of the display and just watched it. Whoever hasn't seen it is in for a treat at Fairford, if any display manages to be better than the Belgian F-16 this year then I can't wait to see it.

Berf

Post by Berf »

Luke28 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 5:52 pm
boff180 wrote:
I'd enjoy F-16 displays whilst you can too
Exactly what I did at Cosford, For too long I have only seen these through a viewfinder, this time I put the camera down for the majority of the display and just watched it. Whoever hasn't seen it is in for a treat at Fairford, if any display manages to be better than the Belgian F-16 this year then I can't wait to see it.
This is a good point - it's all too easy to get fixated with getting the shot be it at an airshow or concert or whatever and only ever seeing stuff through the lens. Never seeing the bigger context - I do it all the time.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

I know I am one of the people who was complaining about the lack of fighter jets at RIAT this year, but tbh I dont think theres many more demos that could attend this year.
  • Romanian Mig-21's are pretty much retired, I dont expect them to ever attend RIAT again
  • Ukrainian SU-27's have other stuff to do
  • Polish Mig-29's dont do displays anymore, would be very lucky to even get them as static
  • Italian Tornado - Likewise^
  • Czech Gripen was unable to attend due to high operational commitments
  • Polish 'Tiger' F-16 team are doing limited displays this year - They dont even have a schedule
  • Solo Turk - Likewise ^
  • Rafale Solo, Couteau Delta, Vautour Bravo and Requin Mike - From what I understand they are unable to attend due to Bastille Day celebrations
  • French Navy Rafale M Role Demo - No official demo in 2022, even if there was I would expect them to attend Bastille Day celebrations instead
  • Polish SU-22 - No official demo in 2022
That leaves:
Finnish F/A-18C (They are sending the Hawk solo instead)
German Typhoon
Danish F-16 (They are sending the Baby blue team instead)
Spanish Typhoon (They are sending the EF-18A+ instead)
USAF A-10
USAF F-22
USAF F-35
Last edited by bobby 1211 on Mon 27 Jun 2022, 2:18 am, edited 8 times in total.

Mike

Post by Mike »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:07 pm
  • Rafale M Role Demo - No demo in 2022
I wonder what it was that they did at La Ferté a couple of weeks ago then?

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Mike wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:48 pm
bobby 1211 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 6:07 pm
  • Rafale M Role Demo - No demo in 2022
I wonder what it was that they did at La Ferté a couple of weeks ago then?
They dont have a schedule and it looks like that was the only airshow they are doing this year (not counting the Tiger meet display) . You can say the same about the polish su-22, no official team, no schedule but they will perform one display at Swidwin open day

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Polish MiG-29 performed at Motril in Spain on Sunday, tbf.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Planes TV are live streaming arrivals and departures for RIAT 22, it's free on YouTube. Show itself is on the paid service. Thought this might interest some.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

Tommy wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 7:59 pm
The Polish MiG-29 performed at Motril in Spain on Sunday, tbf.

It was just a few flypasts rather than any sort of display.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Ah fair, Dean - didn’t know that.
UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 8:37 pm
Planes TV are live streaming arrivals and departures for RIAT 22, it's free on YouTube. Show itself is on the paid service. Thought this might interest some.
We’ve been umming and ahhing about doing our usual Live Arrivals thread and brining back our Twitter widget that autorefreshed live updates this year. It’s an absolute ballache of work when we’re supposed to be on our holiday, but we always loved doing it for the benefit of our members.

But tbh, if PlanesTV are live-streaming it for free, then it might well all be a little bit redundant (frankly, I’m amazed they haven’t been doing it for years now).

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I’ll ask Ian but I’m pretty sure they live-streamed 2019 arrivals too.

Still quite proud that the first year live arrivals occurred (and I wasn’t staff then) it was so popular I broke the server :-D

Since then there have been many copies but one thing, it happened first here on UKAR!

Andy

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

UKTopgun wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 8:37 pm
Cheers for the info. I will be at work most of the time, but hopefully will catch some of it.

Personally the B52 flying is a great update as Ive never seen one fly before.

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 12:44 am
I’ll ask Ian but I’m pretty sure they live-streamed 2019 arrivals too.

Still quite proud that the first year live arrivals occurred (and I wasn’t staff then) it was so popular I broke the server :-D

Since then there have been many copies but one thing, it happened first here on UKAR!

Andy
And it is / has been so much fun. UKAR - trailblazing since 20.. (you'll have to fill in the gaps).

Off topic I know, but it's great to see that the Spanish Harriers are still displaying - when we bemoan the lack of cold war era hardware still flying in Europe I think they often get overlooked.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

RJFs heading to Europe to start their tour. Looks like a new C-130H special tail aircraft as well. Fingers crossed it'll be the static example at RIAT 🤞🤞

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

CJS wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:45 am
And it is / has been so much fun. UKAR - trailblazing since 20.. (you'll have to fill in the gaps).
1996!
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 10:16 am
CJS wrote:
Mon 27 Jun 2022, 8:45 am
1996!
Well there ya go! 👏👑
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Witchcraft24 wrote:
Sun 26 Jun 2022, 2:11 pm
Not sure why there is this concentration on fighter types ? I’ve been attending since 1998 and this year I finally get to see Austrian Typhoons!
The Rafale and USAF stuff will be back, but the Austrians? Not so sure….

There seems to be a lack of interest in the helicopters on this thread , yet when the Czech demo attended Biggin Hill and Sanicole, people on here were wetting themselves. Little mention of the Hungarian Mil and Polish Sokol on here - both demos that have had people screaming “why not RIAT?” in the past, when appearing elsewhere.

“No star item”…. So the Koreans, the best display team I have ever seen, are almost dismissed here by some because they turned up once before.

And the immediate questioning of why an Air Force isn’t sending X, because RIAT has secured Y, baffles me….

No show for three years and a war in Ukraine - but all some people want to look at is what isn’t coming rather all the stuff that is ?
Totally agree, it's bizarre.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MorganBW

Post by MorganBW »

MJN901 showing as a Omani C-295 Persuader over Royal Tunbridge Wells, never seen one over the UK.

Surely that's not the aircraft on static this year? That's very early