FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
HeyfordDave111

FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Most if not all have received their latest e-mail.

in demand for the shorter visits, we’ll be moving away from the current membership packages and inviting all attendees for six days. Our new four-level pricing plan for 2023 is in line with the Mach 1-3 pricing proposals but without the attendance restrictions.

With this streamlined approach, all attendees will be invited for six days with the price being dependent on your seat. Your seat will now be allocated at the time of completing your booking:
Band A – £375
Band B – £350
Band C – £325
Band D – £300
Any FRIAT loyalty discount that you have earned will be applied to your bookings regardless of your choice of band.

Each ticket will grant you access to the Park and View facility on Wednesday whilst also confirming your seat in the Grandstand from Thursday through to Monday.

Your early booking form will be available on Thursday 14th July 2022, complete with information on order processing. Your seat for 2023 will be allocated and you will be charged at the time of booking.

All orders placed at the show will be processed and seats allocated before FRIAT tickets go on sale to the general public.
Got to love Russianhardware

HeyfordDave111

Re: FRIAT 2023 ticket increases discussion

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Not being a tight ass, but when is the booking open? i for one, wont have the readies at shows end so i hope theres some leeway after the show finishes to top-up the wallet?

Foggy32

Post by Foggy32 »

To be completely honest.

The major sticking point for myself and the Mrs would be if we cannot pay by direct debit as we have done for the last few visits.

Don’t think we would be paying the top amount anyway as my wife prefers to be lower in the seating.
Last edited by Foggy32 on Thu 30 Jun 2022, 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sony A7 III
Tamron 28-200mm f2.8-5.6 Di III RXD
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Sports DG DN OS

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Gonna repeat what I said in the main thread

"we’re delighted that 70 per cent of you will be joining us for all six days this year."

See how many join you at all next year now they're paying 150 more quid for the same seats
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Compared to 2020... for Mach 3...

Band D = 20% price increase
Band A = 50% price increase

For Mach 1 2020 to Band D its a 43% price increase.

In the same period inflation is in the region of 15%.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Ah, and to put my tin hat on now......

More money, same seats, less aircraft, no friday walk around or different aircraft and they most probably want the dosh now.

Dont forget we paid £30 extra for this year (2 years ago) because they obviously had cash flow problems.

I will look at this very closely and may end up going east (no, not clacton) but where i can still see exotic stuff for roughly what FRIAT cost me overall inc food and accomodation etc etc.

as a comparison.... just booked iceland in December (if you've never been, you must), flights for 2 peeps £180 total, A fantastic (and i mean fantastic) hotel 2 hours out of Rekjavic £450, Car hire and food £600...........1230 notes there or there abouts......for 2 of us...... for 7 days!

I will find 2023 prices very hard to justify now!
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Thu 30 Jun 2022, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Have they explained how this price increase is justified?

Wednesday P&V included. Is Thursday P&V included as I prefer to be there than the grandstand on arrivals day?

A bit of a shocker, trouble is if you want to do a UK show, what other options are there? And as has been proven recently with people willing to pay £50 for an aircraft running at night, people are willing to part with their hard earned.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 7:49 pm
Have they explained how this price increase is justified?

Wednesday P&V included. Is Thursday P&V included as I prefer to be there than the grandstand on arrivals day?

A bit of a shocker, trouble is if you want to do a UK show, what other options are there? And as has been proven recently with people willing to pay £50 for an aircraft running at night, people are willing to part with their hard earned.
I think £50 sheets for a nights photography is fine, your not commiting to a large lump sum up front, almost immediately, its getting peeps to fill the seats at RIAT for such a rise in prices and nothing given back....... open top bus live side (for a charge) ? nope, priority access to P&V ? nope, Friday walk round? nope, higher showground prices? yup, deluxe cumfy seats in a grandstand? nope etc etc.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Foggy32 wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 7:38 pm

The major sticking point for myself and the Mrs would be if we cannot pay by direct debit as we have done for the last few visits.
Mine too, I cant afford that amount all in one go
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I've only been a FRIAT member since 2014, so not quite a veteran compared to some, but never again.

The ask for extra money this year for rolled over tickets was the first straw.

Not being invited to the FRIAT forum, which I usually enjoy, was the second.

This is the final straw. The price increase is ridiculous and the prices being linked to the seat row is just bonkers.

I'll probably just go for one day at the weekend from next year and not make it my annual holiday.

Really sad.

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Something of an antithesis to the excellent E-4B news from earlier. :thumbsdown:

Did anyone else get any consultation about this? Must have missed it here! Came as something of a surprise especially given its apparently what the members have asked for and it seems others here feel the same. The vast majority of FRIAT e-mails in the last three years only seem to have been relating to financial matters...

It may have been discussed at the FRIAT Forum three months ago, but I'm still waiting for the Members Area to be updated with the questions & answers as promised in March (in what would be its first update since 2019...)

No evening walkabout, no FRIAT newsletters, no visits, less time in the grandstand, minimal comms etc etc and now this - collectively, the package has certainly been degraded in recent years and now a significant price hike (with removal of direct debit) is a bitter taste in the mouth especially so close to the event. Having traditionally rewarded loyalty and commitment, it seems seating allocation will now just be rewarding those in a position to quickly and widely open their wallets with no consideration for circumstances that may prevent others doing that.

In the past it used to feel special being a FRIAT member, that has well and truly died a death.

Berf

Post by Berf »

As Caper says - there are no other options and when that happens punters can be exploited and that's just what this feels like - we haven't even had this show and we are being prodded for more next time.
FRIAT was marginal last time around for the benefits - it's not marginal anymore.
Last edited by Berf on Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Can’t lie, that’s absolutely disgusting.

“Friends” of RIAT, indeed.

Price increases are undersrandable (note that it was us who payed the extra money to help with cash flow - not the general punters!) , but that’s astronomical.

Was this raised at the FRIAT forum? The promised notes/minutes of that never materialised (despite me going out to bat for RIAT earlier in the year when people were asking about them).

The “exclusive FRIAT members area” has absolutely nothing in it, and isn’t worth the money - so what on earth extra are we getting for that massive price hike?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The principle thing that made FRIAT still worth it was the grandstand on Mondays.

Everything else (showday grandstand, members area etc) was convenient but not necessarily a dealbreaker.

Now the background is cluttered by the new hangars, I’m sorely tempted to just pay separately for P&V each day, maybe do a day inside, and the rest at Totterdown or elsewhere.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

wG655 this wasn’t mentioned at the FRIAT forum and will make me think hard about rejoining in what should have been my 40th consecutive year as a Friend of IAT. When you take in the highly inflated accommodation costs set by the hotels and pubs around (my regular place upped its prices by 100 % this year) there are limits.
While I know, from the forum, that the finances are not in the best place as they had to take out repayable business loans from the government the organisation is stable and rebuidable.
That said I have often wondered about the level of the donation to RAFCE compared to the money generated by the show.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Maccyd

Post by Maccyd »

Have to agree with the general consensus, although to be fair I did think FRIAT was good value even after the increase to £250, however these increases do seem excessive. Particularily challenging for most expecting full payment during the current show! Thanks for the notice, nice to feel valued after holding my cash for the best part of three years.
I'll certainly have to reconsider, and hopefully DBH will too, its great that 70% of people enjoy the full six days but to change the rules of engagement with two weeks notice, is piss poor and has taken the shine off what is one of the highlights of my year.
That said won't be a difficult decision as I simply wont have the cash to book at this years show, so that could be my loyalty discount lost too.
Anyone know if this was mentioned at the FRIAT forum? I don't recall seeing any feedback from this years event.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Interesting, this year has cost me £364. Thats Friday and Saturday entry with grandstand and Sunday entry with Pimms enclosure, as well as 3 days shuttle bus.

I had thought about doing FRIAT next year so it might work out cheaper. Though I will only be able to do Friday, Saturday and Sunday as there is no shuttlebus on the other days so feel like I'd be missing out as its now 6 days no matter what the tier, I would have gone for the 3 day one if the current system had stayed in place.

If that's the FRIAT increase, I am scared to see the non FRIAT enclosure increases.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

iainpeden wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:12 pm
wG655 this wasn’t mentioned at the FRIAT forum
Insane. What’s the point of the FRIAT Forum if you’re not going to consult about price increases.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Making this announcement in the middle of a cost of living crisis 😂😂😂😂 who the "Well, there's no need for that" do they think they are
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

As Tommy also says the Monday departures is what most of us pay the extra for and if we now have a more cluttered backdrop will it give what we are looking for on Mondays?

With the extra reach of digi and big lenses, it may just be a case of one end and hope they keep low on Monday, two arrivals and one show day further left than the FRIAT stand.

Money grabbing at its worse, especially without the DD option, demanding up front. Very poor form from RIAT.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

At the forum mention was made of the feedback with well over 90% being happy with the FRIAT packages, analysis had Ben made of the remainder and it appeared that these were non enthusiasts who hadn’t realised what they were buying.
That doesn’t gel with the statement about giving us what we want. Certainly prices for equipment have gone up but it does appear the captive audience is being hit yet again after the £30 increase we were told wouldn’t happen.

CJS

Post by CJS »

I must say - grateful of course as I was - it was a surprise that my rolled over Sunday super early bird ticket stayed the same but FRIAT members had to pay more this year.

If you paid separately for P&V Weds & Thursday, show tickets Fri-Sun and P&V Monday, what would that cost I wonder? Plus viewing village Fri-Sun for comparison.

Roughly £40 x 3 (p&v) = £120
£60 x 3 show days = £180
£40 x 3 viewing village = £120

So around £450. It's not like for like obviously and I'm guessing wildly on the prices based vaguely on this year, but if you wanted it all FRIAT still works our good value.

However 3x show day tickets, 1 day in a grandstand and Monday departures would be more like £250, which perhaps offers better value?

Having never done FRIAT though I probably shouldn't be commenting...
Last edited by CJS on Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Maccyd wrote:
Thu 30 Jun 2022, 8:13 pm

Anyone know if this was mentioned at the FRIAT forum? I don't recall seeing any feedback from this years event.
It wasn’t.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I presume they’re only telling us now at the last minute to avoid the shock of people getting the renewal packs on Thursday, and it’s all set in stone and nothing we can do about it (presumably why they didn’t raise it at the FRIAT forum).

Doesn’t exactly give anyone the time to find the money though, does it (let alone have difficult conversations with other halves, or even save up and put money aside for it).

You guys know I’ll defend RIAT in these threads, but I’m as disgusted with them this evening as I can remember. Shafting your most loyal customers.

How can they just churn out that email two weeks before the show without even blinking. Not even a “we know these are higher prices, and there’s a cost of living crisis” narrative.

Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Cannot believe it really, certainly with what’s going on in the world at the moment and the cost of living. Having attended as a FRIAT member since the mid 90s il certainly be thinking twice about it for next year and will consider other options. It will be interesting to gauge other members opinions at the show this year as well as asking staff members how the reception to this price hike has been received.