RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Blackbird »

microlight wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 4:09 pm
Great show , but some woeful static positioning for photo ops in some sections. Anybody else clock the Max Holste Broussard along the fence line with the the damn speaker post right in front of the prop spinner ....not the Bremont machine.
Yep - I struggled with that Broussard too. So easily avoidable with just a little bit of forethought!

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

UKTopgun wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 1:35 pm
I think the organisers are right to keep both days as identical as possible - stops moaners saying 'I went on Saturday only and missed XYZ, not happy' etc etc.

Swiss PC7 team were ok but go on too long imho.
Dare I say it - I thought the PC-7 team went on a bit too long, lovely display as it is. 1755 on Saturday, I did think - that's it, time to wrap it up. But no, it carried on for another 6 minutes!

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

with departures day done RIAT is officially over for this year.
However it seems the following are still at Fairford:
  • Jordanian C-130 - Maybe it was planned for it to stay longer hence the weird static placement so it wouldn't block other aircraft
  • Spare Spanish Hornet - it moved at the end of the departures but parked up, looks like there might be a TEC issue
  • RAF A400 - Most likely staying at Fairford until Brize Norton is open again
  • Spare Swedish Gripen - looks broken

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Loved being back, sad its over but the 3 days I was there have drained me ever since I got back home on Saturday evening.

Austrian QRA, Black Eagles and the Spanish EF-18 were my flying display picks. Too many highlights in the static park.

My only real negative is the same as what I had when coming away from Cosford, if the RAF are not going to put on an F-35 display then the Initial F-35 pass needs to be with full burners too get the full affect, as it was at Yeovilton and Fairford in 2019. It was far too tame this year.

JMC

Post by JMC »

If the F-35 was displaying both days operating all the way from Marham, surely it would’ve been easier to just operate from Fairford? (I’m sure that aircraft once it returned to Marham done nothing). I’m sure there’s good reason for it though.

jamyt123

Post by jamyt123 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 4:52 pm
with departures day done RIAT is officially over for this year.
However it seems the following are still at Fairford:
  • Jordanian C-130 - Maybe it was planned for it to stay longer hence the weird static placement so it wouldn't block other aircraft
  • Spare Spanish Hornet - it moved at the end of the departures but parked up, looks like there might be a TEC issue
  • RAF A400 - Most likely staying at Fairford until Brize Norton is open again
  • Spare Swedish Gripen - looks broken
The spare Spanish hornet was 'poorly', as described on the radio and moved to infront of the hangars for engineers to have a bash with it
Coningsby Spotter

2024 - Midlands AF, Cosford, Sywell, RIAT etc...

Wondy

Post by Wondy »

ThatDutchDude wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 9:48 am
Rossbeef wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 6:50 am
Really enjoyed the show on the Saturday. Left just after the Black Eagles as had a long drive home so missed a few items but not the end of the world.

In terms of variety, absolutely fantastic. I am not a huge fan of trainers or helicopters but enjoyed pretty much all the displays.

Special mentions to:

QRA demo. The Austrians were fantastic. Love the grey scheme too.
Black Eagles. Fantastic again.
Spanish EF-18. One that I have not seen for a while and it was fantastic. Loved the high speed pass.
Royal Jordanian Falcons. Yes I know, not a huge fan of propeller planes normally, or the RJF, however for the first time in a while I actually watched their display, and it was a really good performance.
The static display. Reminded be of years gone by almost with the amount of aircraft and variety. E-4 was fantastic to see.

Minor gripes.

Lack of US participation in the flying display. Unfortunate about the B-52s and the A-10/F-35 but out of DBH's hands. Hopefully there will be more in the display next year.
Red Arrows. Having less aircraft did not help, they seemed so much smaller as a team without them and display was a little disjointed.
Some positioning of some of the statics e.g. Jordanian C-130, and the trees around some of the RAF aircraft!

I would say the prices of food, but knew before, and expected it to be expensive in a place like this.

Have they announced the theme for next year year and this years trophy winners?

Roll on next year, tickets purchased!
Luckily DBH never confirmed any attendance of either the A10 or F35, it being stated on just their website meaned pretty much nothing, would be nice to see them next year tho if they got the time, budget etc 😁
There does seem to be a trend at Airshows at times when unfortunately this happens. It really does ruin the experience for all. I can recall similar scenarios at Legends over the years. The question i have always wondered is why these minorities get so defensive and angry? Do you think certain people just are so invested in the day and have been waiting so long that its simply “all about them”. I confess when i go to Airshows i don't take photos and from experience the confrontation i have witnessed is people with big cameras which appear to have their own self proclaimed no fly zone. A useful tip i always employ is to say hello and be friendly to the people i am stood or sat next to when i arrive and it tends to then be reciprocated! It is a shame this thing still happens though!

Hope everyone had a great RIAT its great to be back…heres to seeing a Russian Blackjack next year (il get my coat)

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

JMC wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 5:30 pm
If the F-35 was displaying both days operating all the way from Marham, surely it would’ve been easier to just operate from Fairford? (I’m sure that aircraft once it returned to Marham done nothing). I’m sure there’s good reason for it though.
I did think this aswell to be fair.

Zoom

Post by Zoom »

stu_h wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 2:59 pm
JMC wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 1:55 pm
Does anyone know why the Reds sometimes use red for the heart and sometimes white? They changed it a couple times over the week? Is it due to wind/the effect it’ll give?
It used to be based on background cloud / sky. Not sure if that's still the reason.

Carrying more white than red, preference against a decent bluish sky would be to use white. Against high cloud, then red so it stands out more.
is the Arrow that normally pierces the heart one of the missing 2 planes this year? I see the Black Eagles went for a horizontal rather than diagonal plane to do this. BTW the South Korean Yin / Yang / whatever was very impressive!

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

The South Koreans drew their flag.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

paulb1973 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 4:32 pm
UKTopgun wrote:
I think the organisers are right to keep both days as identical as possible - stops moaners saying 'I went on Saturday only and missed XYZ, not happy' etc etc.

Dare I say it - I thought the PC-7 team went on a bit too long, lovely display as it is. 1755 on Saturday, I did think - that's it, time to wrap it up. But no, it carried on for another 6 minutes!
I found it amusing that Ben and Co were commenting at 17.57 that once the Swiss team had landed the would be bang on time to the minute…the Swiss had other ideas and decided to carry on for another mini display over the lakes lol! I packed up and left about 10mims later and they still weren’t back on the ground. So much for Swiss timing and precision :laughing:

AS4DP64

Post by AS4DP64 »

Absolutely enjoyed my return to Riat, Day was warm but manageable. Airshow ticked most boxes. At Green car park at 18.10, No holdups back in Shropshire 20.15.
One thing that could have been improved on, organisation wise. Was the disabled entry. No signage, so became a free for all. Which caused a fair amount of anger. Marshals just gave up. Maybe one thing to look at next year.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Had a guy literally step over my camera bag, clipping it with his foot, then 2 steps later do the same to my friends bag. When i challenged him he said he shouldnt have to walk round our bags at all (the bags were on a 4ft x 3ft roll up pincic mat), literally a side step from his direction of travel.
First he remonstrated with me (my contention was about camera equipment being damaged) then his friend started to have a go.
Well that didnt go well for either of them, but sheesh, some peeps. Then today some back row announcer was announcing every aircraft to all around, what it was doing, when it was 'rolling' etc etc.
Sometimes i think this is a really strange hobby attracting some strange peeps.
Got to love Russianhardware

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Nearly as bad as train spotters.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Ben Dunnell

Post by Ben Dunnell »

BrawlerO wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 6:18 pm
paulb1973 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 4:32 pm
UKTopgun wrote:

I found it amusing that Ben and Co were commenting at 17.57 that once the Swiss team had landed the would be bang on time to the minute…the Swiss had other ideas and decided to carry on for another mini display over the lakes lol! I packed up and left about 10mims later and they still weren’t back on the ground. So much for Swiss timing and precision :laughing:
Ha — it rather amused us, too! In fact, it turned out they needed to burn off some smoke oil before landing.

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

When did the F86 depart? Didn’t see it today.
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Kip Casper wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:16 pm

Sore point :( They had switched from 09 to 27, so I sat at P&V West for ages waiting for it, only to see it join at the northern intersection and take off on 09.

I am guessing about 2pm.

FTS

Post by FTS »

FGR2 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:32 pm
Kip Casper wrote:

Sore point :( They had switched from 09 to 27, so I sat at P&V West for ages waiting for it, only to see it join at the northern intersection and take off on 09.

I am guessing about 2pm.
I had similar disappointment sat in FRIAT, watching the Sea Stallion lift from the west end and disappear into the distance. At least I got it arriving.
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

verreli

Post by verreli »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm
:grinning:

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

FTS wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm
FGR2 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 8:32 pm
Kip Casper wrote:

I am guessing about 2pm.
I had similar disappointment sat in FRIAT, watching every helicopterdisappear into the distance. At least I got it arriving.

Fixed that for you
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Some interesting and good comments/thoughts in this thread.

For me, put simply; this was an absolutely vintage RIAT. I echo IainP’s thoughts from the FRIAT stand today - it’s about as good as an Air Tattoo can be in this day and age. Sure, your individual favourite aircraft might not have been there this year, but the pure and objective variety in the flying and in the static was insane.

Some minor issues, as per, but genuinely; a vintage RIAT in my book.

A very well done to all involved. 👏🏻

melodrama

Post by melodrama »

Tommy wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 9:31 pm

For me, put simply; this was an absolutely vintage RIAT. I echo IainP’s thoughts from the FRIAT stand today - it’s about as good as an Air Tattoo can be in this day and age. Sure, your individual favourite aircraft might not have been there this year, but the pure and objective variety in the flying and in the static was insane.

I'd agree with all that. On the flying I was struck at how the F16 and F-18 displays had upped their levels. Quite striking after all these years. The Swiss F-18 has leapt to Finnish levels of brilliance (great Hawk display btw), and the Belgian F-16 – usually the best choreographed routine in that type – had managed to get yet another notch higher on the spectacular flying gauge. The Greek F-16 clearly superior to previous Zeus routines too. The many Pilatus displays were all great. But of course the Black Eagles raised the bar on formation jet aerobatics. Simply the best I've ever seen - the formation changes and imagination in some of the manoeuvres truly amazed me. There was a superb Frecce Tricolori effort too. A great airshow even if lacking some larger types for understandable reasons.

skippyscage

Post by skippyscage »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 7:26 pm
Only sometimes? You're obviously not paying attention :stuck_out_tongue:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

melodrama wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 10:10 pm
Tommy wrote:
Mon 18 Jul 2022, 9:31 pm

I'd agree with all that. On the flying I was struck at how the F16 and F-18 displays had upped their levels. Quite striking after all these years. The Swiss F-18 has leapt to Finnish levels of brilliance (great Hawk display btw), and the Belgian F-16 – usually the best choreographed routine in that type – had managed to get yet another notch higher on the spectacular flying gauge. The Greek F-16 clearly superior to previous Zeus routines too. The many Pilatus displays were all great. But of course the Black Eagles raised the bar on formation jet aerobatics. Simply the best I've ever seen - the formation changes and imagination in some of the manoeuvres truly amazed me. There was a superb Frecce Tricolori effort too. A great airshow even if lacking some larger types for understandable reasons.
Concur fantastic RIAT (I was Saturday only but still wow!) - the only minor quibble was that I thought overall the Frecce beat the Koreans: I believe the Frecce Tricolori may well now be the finest aerobatic team in the world. It seems to me the Italians have all the best music, too.

Team RIAT take a huge bow, great job. Roll on 2023!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

FJ, I totally agree about the Frecce being even better than the Black Eagles. They say that mimickary is the sincerest form of flattery so as the latter borrowed Nessan Dorma ......
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)